Casting Distances: Every Caveman Needs a Chance to Beat His Chest

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jake L, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Jake L New Member

Sammamish, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    So though I'm starting this thread, I in no way think of myself as even a good caster. In fact I am aware that I sorely need some proper training:ray1: (as most of us do). But now that I've been casting a bit more than 2 years I'd like to sort of measure myself against a wide range of other casters, either to promote a new sense of urgency in getting those lessons, or to cause myself to feel a little more confident about my abilities. But the biggest reason is because I'm sitting waiting for the rivers to drop, and would like to instigate some good ol' chest beating here in the forum.ptyd

But here are the rules. Simply post/brag about how far you can cast. List the rod weight, and line type. Ideally, to get more comparable results, try to keep the rods single handed, 4-7 weights under 10', using a floating or at least intermediate line, not a shooting head or other such line. Don't include the length of your leader or rod or arm or neck or anything like that.

Oh ya and keep it honest :rofl: Please add less than 5 ft to your cast :D

I'll start with an un-intimidating number. Under good conditions, using my 8.5' 5wt rod with WF-F 5wt line, I can put about 50 feet out of my rod tip (I measure by looking at the diagram of the lines taper SA provides). Probably my longest cast ever was no more than 60'. Most of the time though my casts are 35' or less due to wind, space, stupidity, desire for consistency, accuracy, big flies, etc...

Let the games begin.:)
  2. seanengman Trout have no politics

davenport, wa
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    The absolute longest I have ever cast was with my Orvis Trident 4pc. 5wt. 9 footer with a cheap SA AirCel line. I had 85 ft. of line out of the reel, so do the math and subtract the 9 ft. of line held up in the rod and I come up with a good 76 ft. I don't think I could ever duplicate that cast.
  3. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    I assume you're talking about one-handed rods, with standard lines . . .

I think you'll find that folks who can air out some decent casts won't give out their numbers.
  4. seanengman Trout have no politics

davenport, wa
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    You're probably right. I still cannot figure out how I managed to fling that much line. The most I usually throw is 40 ft. if needed. In the situations I fish you rarely need to make casts more than 25 or 30 ft.
  5. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +518 / 0
    Alright I'll humor ya Jrly. I'll preface with, I am self-taught except a single session in the back yard with ex-step-grandpa - he also taught me to tie in an afternoon. The most line I've thrown, don't know the length (but someone reading this will certainly), threw the full line on my 9 1/2' 7 wt st croix legend ultra with rio multitip, floating tip attached - I worked until the backing was at the rod tip and just stopped doing that :p And it was hard, I probly looked like hell doing it. :hmmm:
  6. Abel1 New Member

Clearview Wa
    Distance and presentation = windage and elevation! You can figure it out from here.

Good luck.
  7. Jake L New Member

Sammamish, WA
    Dang perhaps I overestimated the testosterone level on this forum... Oh well. Or perhaps you guys have found rivers that have dropped and aren't telling me.
  8. Walt K Searcher

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    200'. Yeah, that's the ticket ...
  9. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +513 / 2
    I can cast from where I'm standing all the way to the fish that I caught.

The other day, that was about 12 feet.
  10. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +518 / 0
    Excellent response. I won't type lol or anything, cuz I really did laugh out loud. :beer2:
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,504 / 9
    Fourteen feet, running start, one handed rod with two handed toss. Seriously though I have no idea. What I can tell you is I can get more line out on my 8wt than my 5wt than my 3wt but regardless of which rod the fish are always out of my humble reach. Probably 50-55 with the 8wt, 45 with the 5wt and 30-40 with the 3wt if there is no wind when using the 3wt, otherwise it probably drops to about 20.
  12. Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Richard won't toot his own horn, but I've seen him at flyfishing shows in the pond throw to 90 feet regularly; and he can probably hit 100 if there was $$ on it.
  13. Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Kailua Hawaii
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I'll whip Richard's ass in a distance contest. :D Coach
    Love ya Richard. :beer1:
  14. Otis28 New Member

Spokane
    60' to 65' when I was younger, but my rod was a lot stiffer then! ;)

Otis28
  15. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    With the wind at my back and wild turkey in my belly........250 easliy, no 275.:beer2:
  16. RareBreedTM Redneck Extraordinaire

Ft. Lewis, WA
    Considering that I just started less than a month ago... I'm proud of my 25 foot casts... my buddy who taught me hates me for it since it took him forever...
  17. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,504 / 9
    I've been told by many that the occasion to blast a long cast is less frequent than being in the right place and providing the delicate presentation in close. That is good for me since I'm not capable of blasting anything but the back of my head when I'm trying to air it out long distance.
  18. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    I don't pretend to be a log distance caster, in fact, the main reason I initially started with the spey rod was to throw a longer line. And I am not pretending to be good at that either.

But on Sunday, I had my new Rio Gold on my 5 weight, and threw out the whole head without effort, and it measures out at 14.3m (or 47 feet.) It seemed that I had to do that because it s color coded and I figured I should at least get to the color change. Didn't catch any fish at that distance. The biggest fish I caught was with a stellar presentation - I was walking upstream dragging my EHC when a 15 inch cutthroat just nailed that thing....... I think my best presentation is called trolling....

Wayne
  19. Rory McMahon Active Member

lynnwood
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    82 feet with my Echo Classic 5wt, with my TFO pro 3wt, i can only get like 60-70 feet, but its a helluva lot more accurate and delicate than the 5wt
  20. Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Everett, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Who needs to cast when you are leeching in a pontoon, just drop the fly in the water and beging letting out line as you paddle away. Seriously, I haven't measured it, but when I cast in the mornings in my high school gym I stand in the middle of the basketball court and cast diagonally corner to corner with the bleachers in...the floor is about three basketball courts wide. It is not the whole line. I will be using my 3wt in on my favorite small stream in one week though, may have to cast 15'.