Casting Distances: Every Caveman Needs a Chance to Beat His Chest

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jake L, Jun 30, 2008.

1. David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Woodland Park, Colorado
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    Jeff, stop being so modest, I know you can bomb it out there with the best of em'!
  2. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +570 / 0
    One afternoon a dozen years ago, while messing around with my brother's stick, I managed to cast and shoot an entire WF6 line with a cheap old Cortland rod.
    I was much impressed with the economy setup he was using and it convinced him that his gear was fine and his technique needed work.
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,235 / 9
    Rory, I'm no expert but I'm thinking that is a hell of a lot of line out on a 3wt. "Only get like 60-70 feet," How much do you want to get out and where would you use a 3wt that you needed more distance?
  4. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +38 / 0
    Out of curiousity, why do you think one is more accurate than the other? Because of the rod, the line weights, or . . . ?
  5. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    single hand?
    I have to be holding my mouth JUST RIGHT and need a favorable wind, but I've shot the backing knot on WF lines and on DTs too. Regular casting I can leave about 6-8 turns of line on the reel. That's with my 5/6/7/8 wt rods, built on IMX or FT blanks. Most 4 wt actions aren't made for distance casting, and they shouldn't be (IMHO).
    Thing is, I rarely catch fish at those distances in freshwater; mending and line management becomes a problem so it's really a useless point. Why bother dropping a nut to make a hero cast, unless there's bikinis on the shoreline or you want to impress a beginner?
    I think a more realistic way to phrase the question is what's the longest fishable cast that swims the fly well?

double hand? well, I'm not called the Spaz for nothing. ask again in a year. 100' is my best.
    (minus 10 feet for wishful thinking and 5 ft for bragging, that's 85') LOL
    Bob
  6. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    You shouldn't have rules on a pissing contest. Into the backing on a single hand rod. Maybe 110 feet for a spey cast and 150 overheading a 15 foot rod. I've never caught fish more than 60 feet away.
  7. CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

Covington, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    The guys at Pacific Fly Fishers had a Scott demo on Saturday. I threw the 5wt. (can't remember the model) with the shark skin line 73'. They also had some targets for accuracy. I think I hit 1 out of 10 so there is room for improvement there.
    I liked those Scott rods!!
  8. Matt Paluch Member

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    I've been practicing for competitions for the last 3 months now. Using a Loomis High Line Speed GLX and a SA Expert Distance Taper (120' competition model) my longest cast to date is 120'. I'm averaging around 105' now.

The major advantage I notice when casting on the water now is that it's much easier to present the fly better and reach out a longer cast when I need it. Nobody is casting 120' to catch a trout, but the good habits you form by being capable of casting that far really help your fishing.
  9. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,169 / 1
    I average about 40' but on a good day with a tail wind I'll hit 46' or 47'.
  10. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    Hi, I'm nobody. Or at least I fished for trout, but it's boring. Plus, that's on a double handed rod. Matt, that's a good throw for a single hand and I agree with having good habits. Never had any though, but the slightest mistake is amplified a thousand times at a hundred plus. That kind of practice and concentration can tighten up any cast at 70 feet too.
  11. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Are you kidding me. Not only am I expected to carry a measuring tape and camera and scale to record the fish I catch, but I need to start taping out my casts as well??

Heck, I'm a fisherman. I catch 26" trout, 38" steelhead, and cast 175 feet on a regular basis. I don't need to measure it or prove it to anyone. It's my right, and it's actually expected of me, to estimate precisely and always tell the truth. The fisherman's truth that is :)
  12. Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Seattle, Wa.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    My logest cast deserves (i'm sure) a golfing........ "FORE!" ;)
  13. Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Lakewood,Wa.
    I once went to the park and placed cones at different distances. My furthest Lawn Cast was just under 90'. For some odd reasons, I have a hard time duplicating near that distance when on the water. It may have to do with the slope on the beach or the break wall behind me or even the trees.....:confused:
  14. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,390 / 0
    I'm not a caveman, so I don't need to beat my chest. I also don't need to measure how far I can cast. It happened a couple times when I participated in casting contests. That happened long enough ago that I have no recollection of the distances.

What I've learned about making longish casts on the lawn or on a casting dock is that it improves my ability to make 60 or 70' casts while wading ass or nipple deep in a river.

Sg
  15. Hooker Banned or Parked

WA
    I can cast far enough to catch fish, and if they are too far away.... I reposition the boat :)
  16. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    A real casting distance that actually matters to fishing situations is how far and accurately can you cast with 1 backcast.

That is a competition I would participate in.

Or maybe how far and accurately you can cast sidearm, low to the water, under a pole.

Or maybe how far you can skip a clouser or popper under a dock.

There are some technical casts that actually matter in fishing situations but raw distance isn't usually one of them.
  17. Hooker Banned or Parked

WA
    unless you fish the salt...
  18. henry'sforkbum New Member

boise, idaho
    Throwin 90 feet of line doesnt make you a good angler. The only thing you need to catch fish is a six foot drag free drift and a buzz. But since you guys are not around to verify any of this, I can throw my whole spool, plus about 20 feet of backing!
  19. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +311 / 3
    I participated in a Danish Casting course at the FFF gathering at Ellenburg in May and that is exactly what you do. It is an obstacle course and accuracy course for fly casting. I really enjoyed going through the course and did much better than I thought I would. Some of the elements are very difficult. It required different size loops, left handed and right handed casting, reach casts and wiggle casts Etc. Etc. I know that just the little practice that I had on that course made me a better caster on the stream.
    Blessings
    jesse clark
  20. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    It does if the fish are rolling 90 feet away from you.