Casting Distances: Every Caveman Needs a Chance to Beat His Chest

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jake L, Jun 30, 2008.

1. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    So much for not taking the bait :D

(PS - yes, I have a great job that plants my but right in front of a computer with quick and easy access to this great site for aout the last 8 years or so... or however long this site has been running - and no, my registered date is not the correct date...
    But either way, while I have you on post numbers, you rule when it comes to words typed :ray1:)

2. Snake

Snake tryin' not to get too comfortable

Are you suggesting women desire a man who can throw long, akin to being able to throw down and survive a battle with long-swords, Coach?

I suppose if it increased the ability to catch fish, and thereby provide food, it might make it easier to mate, in the right circumstances......

But I have never, ever in my life met a woman who gives a rat's ass whether I can cast 70' or 120'.

Maybe they exist?? How many hot chick fishing guides are there, anyway?

3. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    As it turns out, the title of this thread was pretty apropos. Some of y'all might even be a little sore:clown:

4. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Wow, for once I agree with Chadk... I don't think you need to cast for *big* distance to be a complete angler, because it's all about the specific needs of the kind of fishing you want to do. I'd much prefer to say that if you don't practice casting for distance than you are accepting a limitation as an angler. It doesn't mean your "incomplete", but it certainly puts you at a disadvantage in a lot of situations. But then again, I suppose if you're one of those guys who throws 30 and thinks it's 60, or you're one of those cats who thinks it's a waste of time to practice for distance, you're not incomplete, just dilusional.

-- Cheers
    -- James

5. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:

Come on now, we are *all* guys here. For the most part, it's not the hotness of a chick, just her availability that drives us.... Geez, you should see some of the dudes (errr... Chicks) that the Duffster was pulling double hauls on! :D:D:D

6. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    ...And there's James with his bus drivers hat on rolling right over Duff man. :rofl: :D

7. Jake L

Jake L New Member

And at the beginning of the thread people were criticizing my clever title. They have every right too, but I think now everyone can see I wasn't too far off. Where's the gloating emoticon? :eek: that'll do. Please nobody pop my balloon. Pretty please?:D haha tight lines all.

8. seanengman

seanengman Trout have no politics

Media:
    I don't think Coach was meaning to step on anybody's toes. I think he was just stating that you can be content with where you are at or you can strive to be better, and there are definite advantages to being better. What is wrong with trying to improve?

9. FlyMeARiver

FlyMeARiver Da Mailman! Making sure you get yours!

Media:
    I ain't no log distance caster myself!!

10. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Dude, you ain't getting it or just feeling contentious. :beathead: Coach, to me, is just paraphrasing the old military recruiting line "Be all that you can be".

Chad, I know that you try to better yourself and improve at least one of your fly fishing skills. For example, you post pictures about your tying frequently in your gallery as your tying prowess progresses. You're trying to improve all the time, and you are.

It should be no different with casting.

Casting is a major component of fly fishing. Casting proficiently is about line control. As Lefty Kreh notes "The line goes in the direction you speed up and stop your rod tip." The more effectively and efficiently you deliver the line and fly to the fish, the more it increases your chances of hooking up. Not only the physical aspect of delivery, but the boost to your confidence that your casting is becoming less of a factor when handling challenging conditions. As I noted earlier, learning to cast for distance (or attempting to learn) will teach a person about many nuances of the cast and will help them become a better caster and fisherperson.

I'm with Coach; try to improve yourself, and 'be all that you can be'. Fly fishing or any endeavor.

11. FxdGrMind

FxdGrMind New Member

First off... Newbie here! Just started.... 30 years ago I got to try it FF'ing with my buddies fathers rig.... A Brit and I quickly popped off 3 fly's... I could see the anger building "Some little Punk American kid is ruining my fly gear" was brewing as the steam built coming from his ears.

However as for recent casting experience... do back casts count? Seems that I cast further back than forward... As I seem to have to hike an awful long way to get a fly un stuck from, Trees, bushes, long grass, logs (whether submerged or floating).

As for forward... well.... I find that drifting the fly from up to downstream gives me a greater working area of the stream... so how do I measure that???

In reality, the rare cast might get me 20' anything more would include the length of line piled up at the point of impact with the water......

Cheers to all

12. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Richard, I get the point. If you look at the specific quote james and I commented on, you'll see the context of what we were trying to say.

I have nothing against trying to improve.

We should all strive to get better. But not necessarily at distance casting. There are guys that simply never fish big water. Nothing wrong with that self imposed 'limitation' if that is how they enjoy the sport. To look down your nose at them as being "an incomplete angle" smells of ignorant arrogance... Kinda like the swinging vs nymphing arguements. Or dry vs wet.

13. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

iagree

Although, one time . . . I hung a fly in a bush across a lake and had to make camp overnight on my way to retrieve it . . . .

14. FxdGrMind

FxdGrMind New Member

What??? ... man you got me beat! Hey you were camping anyway.. Right?:rofl:

15. Jim Ficklin

At 60, I can't qualify as a "young blood;" "tired blood," maybe . . . In my youth, I hurt my left arm pitching . . . so I mastered the fly rod from the right side & to this day still switch back & forth, tho I do get greater distance as a southpaw, but am reasonably accurate either way at the distances I prefer to cast (and they ain't particularly far). Ambi comes in handy on occasion.

16. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    By the way, "chicks dig the long ball" is a joking reference to a promo MLB did a few years ago. The reference to double biceps shots and swords is a playful jest at our stereotyped "manhood" and nothing more for you literal types who missed that. And James and Chad K, you can perceive my post as arrogant all day, it makes no difference to me. If you cannot cast long, you are missing an aspect of casting. You are incomplete. You are also incomplete if you couldn't roll cast, single haul, double haul or cast over the opposite shoulder, and there are many more. If you think about it, (which I know is hard for you Chad) arrogant is sitting on your ass all day arguing about the merits of NOT being able to cast over 60 feet. Especially when improving has nothing to do with the size of water you fish, it has to do with how many times you want to walk down to the park and practice. You know Chad and James, practicing. PRACTICING. Now what in the hell does practicing to become a better angler have to do with arrogance? As usual Chad K, you whole stance is ridiculous actually, but then we've come to expect that sort of ignorance from you haven't we? 6000 posts and none worth a damn.

17. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    :)

You can type a lot, but can you read and comprehend? Where did I say anything about practicing? Or improving?

By your definition, we are all incomplete anglers. If that is what you meant, I can agree with that. We all need to choose and prioritize those areas we feel we want to improve on. If a guy never fishes steelhead, he may not feel the need to improve his swinging on a sink tip - yet that makes incomplete. It's really just a dumb term to use and maybe this whole arguement is just symantics...

For the record, I enjoy heading to the salt for a change of pace and pushing my limits on the long casts that i don't normally need or have the space to use. And on occassion I'll be out in the yard chucking a peice of yarn on the end of the line just to work on an aspect of my stroke or trying to get a few more feet on my cast.

But I'm not going to call someone half-assed and incomplete if they don't do the things I do, think the way I think, and fish the way I fish. Fair enough?

18. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

^ and ^^ just need to have make up sex and get over it.

19. Jim Ficklin

Koja <---- half-assed, incomplete, trying to improve (in those areas important to ME), and loving it . . . . Coach Duff, you appear to be a talented, erudite, well-written individual, and you apparently have an enviable job, but you seem to be a bit of a "snob" to this Montana country boy.

No, "arrogant (actually, "arrogance," if I may take liberty to correct) is presuming that those who do not hold YOUR particular values/abilities in high esteem to be somehow "inferior" to your personal vision of a competent fly fisherman/woman. I fly fish because it's a passion . . . I encourage & mentor others to do so . . . I don't criticize, but I do however, suggest potential for improvement to "better achieve the respective goals of the particular audience at the time." You may be either a "legend in your own mind" or, you may well be a master, I really don't give a rip. As my Sainted Grandma used to say, "If you look down your nose long enough, you'll become cross-eyed." That would make it even more difficult to thread the eye on a fly in dim light . . .

20. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    :D

...and here I was gonna suggest taking a lap...