Casting fault

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by AndreasJ, May 13, 2012.

1. AndreasJ Member

Sweden
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Out on the river today, practice with my skagit setup. One thing that happens is that the front of my sinktip and the leader is folding into an "L" , just before landing on the surface...
    Anyone who can tell me what I´m doing wrong?

//Andreas
  2. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    Hey Andreas, is this just before your forward stroke, or just after?
  3. AndreasJ Member

Sweden
    Hi!

It´s after my forward stroke, when the line is shooting out and right before landing on the surface it makes an L with the tip. sometimes downstream and sometimes upstream..

//Andreas
  4. gbeeman Active Member

Kennewick WA
    Ratings: +35 / 0
    Andreas,

That can be caused by too short of a tip. It folds under at the end of the forward cast. Try a longer tip next time.

GBeeman
  5. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +87 / 0
    Tracking.... More than likely there is a fault in your setup, or in delivery. Go to some still water... Setup your cast, and before you start your forward stroke, stop... Look at the line and make sure that the D loop is parallel and your tip is straight.

If that is consistently good, the watch your rod tip on the forward stroke. Make sure that the tip is going parallel to your anchor. If it isn't then it could be that your shoulders are not pointing to your target or any number of other reasons.

It is something that *everyone* struggles with, so don't feel alone. If it continues too bad, the you need to film your stroke, or get someone to watch your cast from behind.
  6. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    It sounds like it could be you are not getting enough pop(energy) in your forward stroke to turn over your line, or your line is not matching your rod and causing issues there. What line/rod are you using?
  7. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,726 / 0
    How far are you casting when this happens?
  8. AndreasJ Member

Sweden
    I have a compact skagit 540gr and 15f tip, guideline ACT4 12,6 8/9 rod. it should be a good setup ( I think) :). I belive that James is right, when i think about it. Just have to practice more I guess.
  9. AndreasJ Member

Sweden
    Almost every cast I make, havent noticed that distance makes i better or worse
  10. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Then it sounds like what James pointed out, if your getting good turnover on your short casts Your tracking and maybe your speed is out of wack. Giving casting advice over the internet is like playing pictionary with blind people, but here goes my attempt. Try keeping your sweep in first gear or real slow all the way until you get to 90 degrees (or straight out in front of you), then start your acceleration. Also try coming up to form your D loop a little sooner.
  11. AndreasJ Member

Sweden
    Thank´s for the advice! I will try to work on that next time!
  12. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    It sounds like the tracking problem to me too, caused by malalignment of the D loop (not parallel to your targeted direction). This will make the final turn over wiggle, side way, and not parallel to the targeted direction. As people mentioned above, good to have someone to watch you cast behind you, or shoot some videos. I tend to have this problem when cast in a rush mode or afraid to hit the bush behind me.

Mark
  13. AndreasJ Member

Sweden
    When casting/fishing in fast moving water and the line and tip drifts downstream really fast, do you have to execute the sweep sooner?
  14. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Yes. You can also leave a little more line, a foot or two, outside the rod tip.
  15. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    You definitely don't want to wait too long, it's a dynamic capture. For quick answer, Yes. Several techniques to compensate fast moving water.

1) set the anchor a bit closer to you to compensate the drifting away anchor. You still want to wait for the skagit head to grip the water tension.

2) incorporate low angel sweep to increase the water tension (water grip). This is useful when water surface is choppy OR you want to use a shorter time to get a good water tension.

Mark
  16. AndreasJ Member

Sweden
    Do you mean overhang?
  17. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.

Sure, you can call it that. Leave a foor or more line outside the rod when in faster water. Pull that extra line in when in slower water. Keep it simple.
  18. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    I just try to place my anchor a little further upriver
  19. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +133 / 3
    180 ° principle per Simon Gawsworth. The fly is not coming all the way around before you make the forward cast, therefore you get a cork screw effect in your turnover.
  20. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    Yup, what Jim just said.
    fae