Casting help

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by R00k, Jan 8, 2014.

1. later_Peter

later_Peter Active Member

I've taught a number of beginning fly fishing classes... the only book/video I found that helps a true beginner is Mel Kreiger's video... other than that I found that getting a personal critique of your technique can shorten the learning curve by YEARS... truth.
    One can fish & catch fish with out any technique at all... but, to have a reasonable success rate (on purpose, some skills need to be involved.

2. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

What constitutes a 'reasonable success rate'? On many a water the cast has far less to do with hooking up fish than presentation...and by 'presentation' I mean selection of fly, depth, retrieve, patience, and a recognition of probable productive habitat under different conditions.....all things that are learned by time on water. I've observed many a proficient flycaster not enjoying a 'reasonable success rate' mainly because their fly is spending most of the time being cast...and recast...rather than in or on the water.

There's nothing more entertaining than a proficient, but impatient, fly changing water flogger seeking the perfect cast and the perfect fly...while a more pedestrian flyfisher manages, somehow, to catch more fish.

Hell, I know many a novice flyfisher doesn't even detect a fair number of subtle takes, and can only see or feel the more overt surface attacks. That feel only comes with experience.

While there's nothing wrong with getting casting technique critiqued by a credible instructor, the implication is that the novice shouldn't even pick up a flyrod until coached, and that's just plain silly.

3. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I'm self taught and probably suck. I was only half-kidding about learning to cast in allies behind bars. That was usually the handiest place to lay out some casts while the old man was sucking down suds.
    Now I've adopted some weird casting style derived of having little backcast room, and no two hander. I can accurately get sixty feet out with ten or less feet of backcasting room. It actually feels weird when I'm in a boat or otherwise have room to stretch out some line.

Krusty likes this.
  4. later_Peter

later_Peter Active Member

[quote="Krusty, post: 901487, member: 19926"

While there's nothing wrong with getting casting technique critiqued by a credible instructor, the implication is that the novice shouldn't even pick up a flyrod until coached, and that's just plain silly.[/quote]
    if that's the way it read, that's not what I meant. Practicing, no matter how, is going to bring benefits... however, if someone is asking for help (the reason for the post) or someone is offering help... should help be accepted or just go on doing what ever you think is moving in the right direction? Like Elaine dancing... she's having fun, after all.