Casting Question

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Runejl, Jan 28, 2013.

1. I am in the process of trying to become a better caster and have put down the nymph rod for most of this winter season. I have been fishing my Deer Creek 7/8 with a RIO 550 Flight and am finaly getting the line to huck out there with fishable casts on a consitent basis.

What I have learned is to slow down and let the rod do the work. When I dont force things it really goes. However, sometimes I just feel like it is way slower than would like to be moving.

My question is can I move through my paces a little faster if I lightened up to a 510 Compact skagit?

Thanks for any advice,
    Josh

2. I love tinkering with different lines and riggin' on rods. I have a 510g that I'll bring tonight...check it out. I liked the 550g on that rod and left it at that. For summer runs, a Scandi 480 is super sweet. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'll grab that too.

Somewhere I remember hearing that Airflo lines perform like they have a little more grainage than actual grainage. If I remember right, the 550g I was using on that rod was an old SA.

Wadecalvin likes this.
  3. Look at the Rio Skagit iflight. I have to move a lot quicker than with my floating to avoid over anchoring. Definitely helps get my fly down in the zone as well giving me the benefit of lighter tips and lighter flies. The end result is a better looking cast and added distance.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

4. The rear taper the the Flight stinks and the turnover sucks compared to the Compact. If you want to throw tighter loops, the compact and fewer grains will work perfectly for you. Try to stop higher and use the bottom hand and you will see the results you are looking for. You will not need to speed up your tempo.

aplTyler likes this.
  5. A reduction in mass (grain weight) can be compensated by adding speed to the equation. Lighter lines take more speed to generate the same energy, but better technique is required to maintain form with speed to utilize that energy best.

shotgunner, aplTyler and Greg Holt like this.
  6. speeding up is never a good idea....slowing down is always a good idea, gives the rod time to bend especially with a lighter load

fredaevans likes this.
  7. I would give the 510 a try and see if that doesnt make the rod snappier.

8. Lots of good advice here to the original question. I think a couple folks nailed it! Slow is good when learning speycasting! For some it is "painfully slow". My answer to the original question is "slow down" let the rod do the work and relax. Work on form first and then decide if a new line might work better for you. Chances are the line you have is fine. Also getting a bit of help with your casting is a good idea. Think about heading down to river run anglers day on the river on saturadays at the fall city bridge Arron is an excellent instructor and can lend a hand. Also, avid angler is doing free casting classes on the skykomish river at the Ben Howard access on Sunday February 3rd. The nice thing about the free classes is you can try different combos and decide what works best for you and get a second set of eyes to resolve casting faults.

9. That rod rocks with a 480.

10. I had the opportunity to cast a Deer Creek 7/8 yesterday with a Delta spey on it. It was not intuitive at all. We changed that out to a Airflo Skagit Compact 540g. That is indeed a fun rod to cast when appropriately lined for the caster.

11. All said in fourteen words. Thumbs Up.
    fae