casting

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by newbie_fish, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    I went to a KMART twelve years ago and bought two Rubbermaid Dishpans on sale for the price of one. I found a good rubber bungeee cord, with plastic coated hooks, on the road that night while driving to the salt to fish. I heated up the tip of a phillips head screwdriver and pushed the hot metal point into and through the plastic pan rim at each corner, making four holes about 3/8 inch dimeter. Just to annoy my Hoity-Toity Yale Anglers friends I slapped a big Orvis logo sticker on one end and went fishing. I have been using that basket ever since without a problem. The whole deal is about thirty five dollars less than Orvis or LL Bean. :cool:

2. espja

espja New Member

Media:
    Bob congratulation!
    Your basket must have come free....LLbeans basket is only $19.50.

3. Porter

Porter Active Member

Cough ...Cough...Cough...Bull Shieet! 35.00 less..c'mon. 20.00 from LL and I ordered a couple other things so shipping was probably 2.00 for that item. They have free shipping promo's from time to time too! :clown:

Curious in the rubber maid type baskets...if no holes you do need to drill some for drainage...right? Other wise it can become a heavy bucket of water and line will coil into a big mess. I have seen some guys glue like 200lb fish line spikes to bottom to provide line seperaters (cones).....No matter what you choose they all do a good job! :)

4. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    What's the basket for? You don't cast do you?

5. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Two replies:

The Orvis basket was about $40-$50 at one time. (Dunno on the LL._

Point is it is cheaper and works well for me.

My two Rubbermaid Dishpans at KMARTT were $3.79

I have found that using the rubbermaid dishpan as is, without holes or wires, cones etc, has been most versatile and helpful.

If you get a splash of water you just tip it back toward you and dump the water out. If you stumble or fall in it just bounces around and spills out most of the water, then you just tip it up and dump it again. With a rigid belt on a basket it may be harder to get the water out quickly and this can be a safety issue in surf, wading beyond the breakline etc.

I have witnessed people on jetty walls back east get slammed to the rocks when a wash of water filled their oversized Orvis baskets with a lot of water. Same was sen in the surf a few times. They had trouble quickly getting the belt disconnected. Falling into a rip current with a rigid belt could be very hard to handle as the basket would hit the flow like a sail on a boat and you would possibly be moving, tumbling etc very rapidly.

I make the holes at each corner big enough to get the bungee hooks out easily and quickly. Burning the holes into the plastic leaves a melted rim of reinforcement at the rim of each hole. They dont terar as easily as a hole that is punched or drilled. The bungee should be loose enough that the basket hangs low and loose. This waya sudden dump of water in it will just result in it flopping downward.

By not putting wires or cones in the basket, nor drilling holes for drainage, I am able to use the basket for more work; I can just strip and cast and carry line, I can put my reel in the basket and take it apart without losing any parts, I can lay a sandwich and small thermos in it, and my headlamp in it too, and have a snack while wading the flats off of the coastal New England shoreleine in the dark, I can store wet boots and rolled up waders in it and keep the truck dry and clean for travel, Or stuff it all into a plastic bag and then into luggage for air travel, I can wash camp dishes in it etc. With holes and seperator wires I cant do much of that. I dont have any more tangles of line with this arrangement than I have had with the line seperator baskets.

My motto: Inexpensive but cheap!

6. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    My experience has been different. I have found that my line tangles far less when I am using a basket that has dividers such as cones or hoops.
    Drilled holes can be a nice feature, but I would agree that a basket that lacks holes will stay damp and may help with line management and shooting. As far as big waves knocking me off of jetties, this has yet to be an issue in the Puget Sound, where Jetties are as rare as large waves.
    Finally, secondary uses for a basket are always nice, but my primary requirement for a stripping basket is how well it works for line management.

7. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    You paid $3.79?

How about 99 cents at Target with an old lifejackjet buckle as a strap?

I challenge all to come up with a cheaper one than that! :ray1:

8. RedFive

RedFive Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    LMFAO. An appropriately pointed question. :rofl:

I agree with Anil. I have no love for Orvis, but I do like their stripping basket, which doesn't seem oversized at all to me. A friend has the LL Bean one and is very pleased, too. Both have a straightforward and thoughtful design. I think the cones are an especially useful feature and anyone using an Outbound, Forty Plus or other shooting head would probably agree with me.

Do I think the Orvis basket is worth $60 or whatever the hell it costs? Yeah--but then again, I'm not a handy type. That is to say, I'm not good with hot screwdrivers, plastic and bungee cords. You know, stuff that could potentially hurt me b/c of my lack of ingenuity. :)

Here's an idea--if you want to try one out, ask someone you know who has one if you can fish with it for a day. If you don't know anyone who does, PM me and I'll let you try mine while we're on the water. :beer2:

9. wolverine

wolverine Member

I've got The LL Bean basket an really like it. I don't drill holes to let the water out as in order to do any good they'd have to be huge. Besides the basket makes a good beer holder and if it tipped and the basket had holes I'd lose my beer.

10. Porter

Porter Active Member

Genius :ray1: :ray1:

11. Dizane

Dizane Coast to Coast

Media:
    Someone understands:beer2:

My basket is an old Coca Cola crate I found while working for Bellevue Parks. Couple that with a bungee cord from my parents garage and you've got total price at $0. In fact, I got paid $10.50 for the hour that I found the Coca Cola crate...

12. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    I like to drill the holes a small distance up from the bottom; not necessarily to save my beer if it spilled, but to leave a little water in the bottom to keep the line lubed.

I also agree with Anil about the cones; they're a huge deal in keeping the line from tangling on itself. A big deal.

Porter, those collapsible kind are problematic. They often don't have a flat bottom like the rigid kind, and because of that the line tends to collect in that seam or low spot and tangle. I find the rigid kind useful in packing stuff around, too. It also goes on trips to Mexico or whever; I just pack it first in to the suitcase, and stuff gets packed inside it. So, in essence, it takes up virtually no room.

I too have the Rubbermaid type, and I know Stonefish does, too. And although we both paid $4 for them, we've paid a couple of bucks more to doctor them up. I bought a plastic insert that has cones built in to it especially sized and made for the Rubbermaid basket. Stonefish bought some little tapered flat topped "doll" hats from a hobby shop and glued them down in the bottom of his basket. Both of us drilled holes just under the top rim, and use bungee cords as belts.

We probably have about $10-12 each in to them (we're not as lucky as Triggs and find stuff like that bungee he found), but also have time in to making them. That's what makes the LL Bean bucket such a deal; it's ready to go, with belt and cones and cutout to hold a rod, for just a tad more than a person can realistically make their own. There's a lot of value (to me) in just picking it up and going, ready to rock and roll and know it's made correctly. LL Bean didn't have it out when I made mine, otherwise I'd own the Bean bucket.

Bottom line, with it's the collapsible type, the Bean or Orvis basket, or the make your own out of a Rubbermaid dish pan basket, you can probably tell from this thread that many people consider a stripping basket. Even the guys who only dangle their fly just out of the end of their rod tip think they're important . . . :)

13. Bob Young

Bob Young Member

One thing I do regularly is strip my fly in until there is about 10 to 12 feet of line outside the tip top than raise my rod and "wake" my fly for a couple of feet until I run out of reach. This will often induce a strike.

14. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    Bob,
    Thanks for getting back to the point that we all left some time ago.
    I do the same thing. If/when there are no followers I turn that lifted rod motion into a role cast and begin my casting from there.