Casual Dress SBS

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step / Video' started by ScottP, Nov 2, 2012.

1. ScottP Active Member

Ratings: +789 / 0
    Poking around my flyboxes I came across some stuff from the mid 90's, including a bunch of Casual Dress nymphs. Brought back memories of fishing Rock Creek for the first time - catching some nice 'bows/browns, losing a boatload of nymphs, and taking a fall up above Norton CG that eventually required reconstructive knee surgery. Always thought they were cool flies although I haven't tied any in a long time; grabbed some muskrat and ostrich herl, my copy of Tying & Fishing the Fuzzy Nymphs (bless you Polly Rosborough for such a great pattern) and took a trip in the Wayback Machine.

hook - Mustad 9671 #8
    thread - Danville 6/0 black
    tail - Muskrat
    body - Muskrat
    collar - Muskrat
    head - Ostrich herl

Mash the barb and tie in thread

[IMG]

cut a clump of muskrat (I prefer keeping it on the skin until I need it) with guard hairs (comb out a bit of the underfur)

[IMG]

cut out some more fur and mix it up (this went into the coffee grinder)

[IMG]

take the fur between your palms and roll it into a tapered noodle

[IMG]

create a dubbing loop at the tail tie-in

[IMG]

tie in the fur noodle by the tip

[IMG]

trap it in the loop and spin it until it's nice and tight

[IMG]

wrap the body up to the 75% mark (looks like I could have wound it a little tighter to get better defined segmentation)

[IMG]

tie down and trim excess

[IMG]

grab one more clump for the collar (gives me a chance to use one of those Pettijean clips I got years ago); you want the guard hairs

[IMG]

spin bobbin to take out the twist in your thread (why I used the Danville and not Uni) and split

[IMG]

you can use a loop like I did for the body, but for this application, I much prefer the split-thread method

[IMG]

spin the bobbin to trap the fur

[IMG]

moisten fingers, stroke fur back towards the rear and wrap

[IMG]

completed collar

[IMG]

tie in some ostrich herl (got this off a grocery store feather duster; love the color)

[IMG]

twist herl together, wrap forward, tie off, apply Sally

[IMG]

Polly roughed his up with a hacksaw blade; I don't have that kind of confidence in my tying so I use a velcro brush

[IMG]

The body could probably stand to be beefed up a bit, proportions are off, but it was fun just goofing around with an old friend again.

Regards,
    Scott
    Eyejuggler likes this.