cataract mini mag oars

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by redfred, Aug 25, 2011.

1. redfred

redfred redfred

would like to know what length of cataract mini mag oars you are using or have used on (watermaster,assult,renegade,rampage and waterstrider) frameless boats.
    thanks for your help
    redfred

2. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I know it doesn't exactly pertain to your question about frameless boats but I just picked up a set of 7.5' Cataract mini mags for my pram but I have not tried them out yet. They look very nice; I'm sure they will perform very well. That length also works good for my 10 pontoon boat but I'm not sure how the width compares to the brands you mention above. I bet the 7 footers would work just fine too. Probably depends on whether you personally like a longer or shorter oar.

The table below was used with framed pontoons but it might help if you measure the distance between the two oar locks on your frameless boat.

Width Oar Length
    48" 7'
    54" 7.5'
    60" 8-9'
    66" 9-10'
    72" 10'

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Redfred, I'm sure you know this already, but drilling your cataract shafts will void your warranty. That being said I have two sets, and had three. I have used from 6'up to 7.5' on my frameless boats (kodiak and assault). Right now I'm happily dialed in with a trio of three piece mini magnums that are 7' in length. I think that 6.5' is the ideal river rowing length, but so far I've preferred the 7' oars a bit more. I would recommend if you are driling them to drill through well expoxied on rope wraps, some sort of sleeve or drill holes large enough to accomodate some sort of bushing to keep the craft's oar pin from continually rubbing on the drilled shaft material. Best of luck.

4. redfred

redfred redfred

Thanks for the replies. The oar lenght table will be a great guide line on ordering shafts, will have to think about the bushings and buying wraped or unraped shafts. Your replies brought up lots more questions, i was thinking i could drill the holes and be done, like Scadden does on his lightspeed oars. Thanks again. redfred

5. Driftaway

Driftaway New Member

You can wrap the oars in masking tape and use a wood bit not a steel one. If possible, set you drill press at a slow speed. This will avoid chipping the composite material. As mentioned, drill them slightly oversize and get some brass bushings the length of the oar pins. You can also buy oar sleeves which will further protect the oar shaft from the nut on top of the oar shaft and stop it from rubbing on the bottom.

6. tfisk

tfisk New Member

I just received a pair of 7' 2 piece mini magnums to replace the 5' oars that came on my Renegade. The stock oars are drilled 19" from the handle end leaving 10" in between both handles if brought back to perpendicular to the pontoons. Should I stay with this same situation with the longer oars?

7. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Member

Home Page:
    Do what feels comfortable to you. Personally I set my oars up so that I just barely can't touch my thumbs if they are extended with my hands on the oar grips.

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I like my handles pretty close for my single person boats. For my larger boat, where I use oar rights, my handles are very close when the oar right guides are not in the oar lock and upside down. This puts the nose of the oar right against the oar lock and allows me to feather the oars nicely. When pulling hard or just for routien rowing, the flip of the oars to engage the oar right allows me a fairly narrrow grip width. I like this for me. I have many friends that like their hands much further apart.