Cataraft Questions

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Brett Dean, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Same price will get you a 14' RMR tube with 50% thicker tubes and a 5-year warranty. They're (RMR's) flatter than the NRS, so youre max frame size would probably be similar.
    http://www.rmrafts.com/

2. Thanks guys,

I don't think I like the 1 year warranty NRS provides. How about Maxxon? I'm looking at the Maxxon Extra Fat 14/25, and looks like a 5 year warranty. However, Maxxon doesn't have much of a "kicker"? Is that right "Kicker"? And Do I really need that? My wife and I want a 2 person, multi day Cataraft, and at most be running a class3 for now.

Question: And I'm guessing theres controversy on this topic, but, what is better, welded or glued?

3. Thank you
    Looking at RMR

....Looks like Maxxon tubes?

4. Brett,

I don't think anyone would argue that glued PVC is better than welded PVC. Not sure why NRS only offers a 1 year warranty as I consider their stuff good quality. I would think many folks on here would prefer NRS pontoons with a 1 year warranty over Maxxon's 5 year warranty. That being said, Maxxon pontoons have been around for a long time and thousands have been sold with relatively few warranty issues. Bottom line, they do make a good pontoon at a good price, which is why we offer them on our standard boats. And I would have no problem relying on them for that trip of a lifetime as well as everyday use. However, the price difference between Maxxon and RMR is not to far off and if I were looking at a 14' boat, I would strongly consider spending a little more and getting the RMR pontoons.

The Maxxon 14' 25" pontoons are monsters. The 22 inch pontoons would more than suffice for most users in that class.

By kicker, do you mean rocker?

Brett Dean likes this.
  5. Oh, yep, I ment rocker. Still trying to get the proper terminology down.

Thank you for your time.

I have a little researching to do, but I'm sure I'll be back.

6. nrs is discontinuing the cool cat tubes because of issues with the fabric.

7. I have 14ft, 26" Aire Lion tubes and they are HUUUUUGE. My boat is as wide as an 18ft raft. I'd stick with 22" tubes for fishing to keep the boat narrower for low flows. I think 13ftx22" tubes would make for the perfect 2 man (or 3 skinny dudes) fishing boat that has decent load capacity but is small enough for tight water.

You don't need much rocker if you are fishing and sticking to Class III or lower rivers so low-rocker tubes like RMR or Maxxon will work great for what you want to do.

Brett Dean likes this.
  8. You've got a great start with the advice here, but I'd also suggest trying to hook up with some locals or your local shop and rowing a few set ups before you plunk down your investment. Winter is coming, and unless you need to be on the water next week, time is on your side.

Brett Dean likes this.
  9. Brett,

We have several models you can come look at or even take for a row on a lake or even a river, depending on where you are at. No obligation whatsoever...just take a look at ideas, what you might like and what you don't.

10. Just noticed this rig, pretty screaming deal (I am not affiliated with this deal in anyway) though the tubes look older than 2 years (older valve caps for B7), looks to be in great shape and would be a pimp starter boat
    http://community.nrsweb.com/gear-swap/show-ad/?id=931

11. That's a great buy.

12. I'll put my .02 in on this one. Now, remember that the bigger diameter tubes mean more weight capacity, meaning MORE floatation in low flows. So if you have narrower tubes, you will sit lower in the water with same weight in boat. You can narrow your width if your adjustable frame can use narrower crossbars with a quick disconnect.

I've owned alot of the makers out there. Including the Steelheader made in USA AND the Maxxon model. My Maxxon tubes are now 10 years old, going strong, and hold air well. Beat the living SHIT out of it, and held up going over rough rocks and car bodies (and so did my old Aire as well). Yes, Maxxons are inexpensive tubes. But if you're gonna spend cash, spend once and have tubes you'll have for awhile. I prefer the outfitters style tubes. Usually flat hulls designed to hold weight. Rocker is good and all, but if you're fishing one or two in your boat, you'll notice it move ALOT with simple movement of weight. Where all the flat hulled boats I've owned I could almost completely walk around the boat without much movement. But will say, if I'm spending money on tubes, I'll buy a SOTAR or Maravia. ALways loved their boats.

If you don't want a trailer, and you don't mind setup time, then feel free to setup at the river. I kept my original steelheader (tubes and frame were made up north) int he cargo area of my travel trailer. I'd do a quick setup and use it. Sometimes I wouldn't have to break it down, but sometimes I had to break it down daily. If you adjust for it, it's not a big deal. But if you're a "rush rush rush" guy, then you'll want it put together.

And yes, you can toss a full boat on top of your roof. I've done it for YEARS. Even when I was whitewatering, I'd have my travel trailer behind my rig (usually a full sized blazer) and my inflated boat on top of the blazer. Here's an old pic with my original 16' Aire Ocelot (this was one of the originals that came off the Aire line back in the 80's) that I loved to death. Was my injury that forced sale of it, or I'd still have it. But I loaded this BY MYSELF. I'd load it up, slide it up on top, and strap it down.

[​IMG]

So it can be done, and you're ready to go when you hit the river. Just remember to ALWAYS have a pump with you. As temp changes (especially on the drive) it'll inflate/deflate.

Brett Dean likes this.
  13. Always love that photo Jerry, is that a 16' boat? My Maxxon 14' x 22" tubes handle three dudes okay, my family of four great and two like nothing. Three or four yrlears on them, sit under a shade tree inflated all year long. Worry free.

14. Yup. That's the original ocelot. 16'. That could hold a ton of weight. But those segmented tubes it was great fire Whitewater and carrying a big load Whitewater img. But want as stable with moving passengers as a flat hulled boat. But that was my first boat I ever bought brand new. So was my baby. If it wasn't for my injury I'd still have it.

15. photo.JPG I'm a firm believer in watching the classifieds. Never know when someone is going to post an ad for a Sotar that still has price stickers on oars, frame, dry box, oar locks, seat, etc is going to pop up..... Oh, for the hefty sum of $900...!!!

Had to Jerry ;)

Seriously, watch the classifieds. Someone might even make you a great deal on a Super Puma/trailer combo.

Firm believer in less rocker for anything other than a single person play boat. Good luck. Can't wait for the new Sotar raft to show up in a couple weeks.

Brett Dean likes this.
  16. Yeah, don't make me ban you right here and now. ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I told you to go for it. If I had the cash, I would've bought it on the spot (and I was one of the first to see it in fact). But didn't have the cash on hand at the time. But that was a MAJOR score! Great boat. I bet you're in love with it. But have always had a fondness for SOTARs. Great boats, and all the ones I've run had a great time with.

17. No way! You got that Sotar for $900? Deal of the century! What size tubes? More pictures, please. PT, I see you've got a nice Hyde and a raft for sale, any particular reason you're getting rid of those and going with a cat?

18. The cat is for me.... and the dog. It's an 11' boat. Raft and DB will be sold to make room for the next raft that won't be sold anytime soon. Also will be able to put a few dollars back in my pocket.

178.JPG 182.JPG 184.JPG

Brett Dean likes this.
  19. I actually don't suggest rowing a Sotar...cause you'll want one then, and you could buy 2.5 Rm rafts for the price of one Sotar.

20. ....and we all know that 2.5 rafts are better than 1.

; )

Brett Dean likes this.