Catch and Release???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by troutpounder, May 5, 2012.

1. troutpounder

troutpounder Active Member

So I know as a die hard fly fisherman my stance on catch and release is supposed to be "only catch and release and not take home any fish at all!" But I ask you is taking home a few fish that are of good size and limiting on salmon a bad thing? I dont think it is that harmful to the fishery, or the state would not allow and keepers right? I just here alot from other fly guys that you should not take any fish home. I disagree but am wondering what you guys think?

2. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Dude, I'm not sure which fly fisherman you hear from but keeping hatchery brats is a norm. Stocked trout, keep away unless maybe on selective water fisheries. I think we as a group are all over the board on this.

3. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    As a rule I don't keep any native fish, in fact the only fish I have knowingly killed in the past 15 years have been hatchery salmon.

4. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    I only keep hatchery fish as a rule but will sometimes keep wild fish that are over populated and I feel the run or other species that return to that same system could benefit from the harvest of said wild fish. For example, Puyallup river pink salmon.

5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Catch and release wild trout and steelhead and salmon that are from under-escaped populations. Harvest hatchery origin fish whenever the regulations allow it.

Sg

Derek Young likes this.
  6. Evan Salmon

Evan Salmon Member

I agree with Irafly, I don't know many (any really) fly fishermen who are totally against keeping any fish of any kind. Everyone has their personal tastes and biasis. I would never intentionally kill a wild salmonid and I don't keep hatchery versions because I don't like to eat them. Bass, on the other hand....

7. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Can't beat a good crappie fry, yum

Patrick Gould likes this.
  8. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Panfish grow so fast and can be so prolific that it helps the fishery to keep them.

Eirik O'Neal likes this.
  9. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

the only wild fish that I kill intentionally are brook trout 1 because they are non-native and 2 they are very good eating mostly i do this in Montana because that's pretty much the only time I trout fish. hatchery salmon steelhead and trout kill and eat...

10. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    The last fish I kept was in June 1997. The date is solid in my mind as it was only a few months after my dad passed away and I went to the Kamloop's lakes region to clear my head. I kept a hefty rainbow at Tunkwa Lake that had taken a damsel pattern deep and was not going to swim away despite my best efforts. Absolutely great looking fillets...tasted like mud.

I subscribe to catch & release even for hatchery fish because; first, I don't want to be bothered preparing them for the BBQ or smoker and second, a re-cycled fish offers another opportunity to catch that fish.

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I don't remember the last fish I kept. I know it's been a long time ago. I've been retired for over 13 years and I know that I haven't kept any fish in the time frame. And I notice that in that time frame I haven't seen any of the fish I did catch go belly up..

If you handle them only a little and be nice to them they will live to be caught another day.

But now my Granddaughter has discovered her taste for trout and asked if I could bring a few home. Maybe.

12. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I kept 4 stocked trout from a local lake just the other day and cooked em for dinner, my wife loves em. That is what they are there for, I kill every hatchery fish I encounter. When I go up to the interior lakes in b.c. I always keep a couple to eat(if it's legal to do so), nothin wrong with that.

13. freestoneangler

Media:
    "...I kill every hatchery fish I encounter..." -- why?

14. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

I keep and eat a lot of fish - my wife and I eat fish (include shellfsih) of some kind at least 3 times of week. In addition many of my fishing/hunting lunches feature either smoked kokanee or Columbia spring Chinook.

I frequently keep such critters as crabs, spot prawns, geoducks, ling cod, halibut, etc. I suspect except for some ling cod there is virtually no interest in releasing any of those other critters by most "anglers" in the state. From time to time I do enjoy a nice mess of fried panfish (perch or crappie).

When it comes to salmonids I do keep some fish from healthy populations and in a typically year I may keep any of the following kokanee, pink, sockeye, coho or Chinook. I never keep a bull trout, sea-run cutthroat or stream resident trout and have not keep a hatchery steelhead in more than 15 years.

In fact tonight the menu includes prawns (grilled on the barbie on skrewer with garlic butter), ling cod (fried in olive oil after dredging in flour, egg wash and panko), "dirty rice", steamed asparagus (with a little sea-salt), fresh baked bread and a rhubarb pie. Might even pull cork on a nice Ressling to go with.

BTW I harvested the prawns and ling cod yesterday, the rhubard and asparagus are from the garden.

In short fishing opportunities in this state are very diverse and certianly provide the opportunity for some excellent "eats" for those that are so inlcined. The key is to recognize that some species serve our interests best in CnR fisheries others for the table. I feel strongly that an anlger has ample room to harvest and enjoy the bounty of waters; the key is to be selective in what and where we take that harvest.

Tight lines
    Curt

15. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    Well said Curt. Also, dinner sounds amazing!

16. TonyZ

TonyZ Member

On the very rare occasion, I keep a planter from a stocked lake, I don't keep any from streams, ever, I want them there for me to catch the next time out, as I frequent my 5 favorite local streams on the regular.

Over the years I guess I have become soft and see their beauty, majesty, and the joy they brought me from the hunt as more important then 1/2 a meal a trout provides.

17. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    My wife and I eat fish 4-5 times a week, I wish I could say I caught them all. As for salmonids, I don't eat commercial farmed salmon or trout, I do eat hatchery fish I catch and pink salmon, plus all eastern brook trout I catch (it's been a while, though, for these great eating little fish). What I object to is folks taking a bunch of fish, throwing them in the freezer and 9 months to a year later throwing them out (this is the issue for folks who catch a bunch of lings or rockfish beyond what they will eat fresh). That is what rankles me.

18. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Like I said in my post, that is what they are for, to catch and eat, and it's one less hatchery fish that will spawn in the wild.

19. freestoneangler

Media:
    To each their own.

20. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I seldom kill a fish of any kind. But there are exceptions. As other have said, the spiny rays reproduce very rapidly. I think they are tasty and it thins the school. I will take an occasional trout for the table but the last one was some years ago. I am not particularly fond of the taste of trout. Pan fish are another story.

Recycling fish leaves something for the guy behind you. I have seen rather large fish with several holes in their lips from C&R fishing.

I understand somewhat the British notion that you kill every fish you take, but I also understand that the more modern fishers are moving away from that theory.

But perhaps I am odd duck, because catching the fish is just a bonus. Being out on the water, watching the fly line do it's dance, watching nature around me, is what it is all abut for me. Sunny weather is a plus, but rain washes away some of the doldrums also.