Catch and Release???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by troutpounder, May 5, 2012.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

I find the hatchery fish all taste like I'd imagine Purina Trout Chow tastes, and i've eaten enough fish in my day, I really don't like `em! Catching is great, but I'll release almost all of them.

2. GATOR9

GATOR9 Hey you guys

Strictly catch and release. I think one would find high numbers over all that catch and release. I just figure that by releasing any and all will off set those that I see on w/ends in the mtns. or flats that have a dozen or so rods in the family and all are in the water with worms and catching more than the limit and we all know it happens.

3. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I catch and release everything except when my dad or grandpa puts a special request in. Then I will keep a trip or hatchery redband for them if it's over five pounds.

4. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Totally missed this reply... yum...home address and time for pre-dinner cocktails please :D

5. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

because they are damaging to wild stocks.. by killing every hatchery fish you encounter is is very likely that every so often you'll actually save a wild fish.

6. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Trout are for having fun with, salmon are for eating. I haven't purposely killed a trout in over 30 years. Now salmon, that is a different story. My brother has been known to jump out of his drift boat in the middle of the Madison to revive a poorly released fish. But in those days he knew most every one of them on a first name basis.

7. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I should qualify my original statement, I fish pass lake from time to time, and have never kept a fish and I believe those fish are stocked. So in reality I don't kill every hatchery fish I encounter.

8. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

It's not a sin to keep a fish or two. I just release them to try and balance out the "kill them all" crowd

9. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Hatchery fish should be removed from the system. Especially males. The Methow has a mandatory kill rule for a reason. As a matter of fact, there should be a mandatory hatchery kill throughout the state. Releasing those fish is very bad for the native populations. Hatchery practices are designed to either spatialy or temporally separate hatchery and wild run timing. Great in thoery, but hard to do effectively. There can be very high levels of introgression--which can have a negative effect on the fitness of future generations. Bonk away!

Evan Burck and Bryce Levin like this.
  10. Bryce Levin

Bryce Levin previously upsfisher

Right on Derek, great post.

11. CurtisS

CurtisS Member

That's their purpose, they are bred and raised by men for men. They are literally made to kill and eat. I kill every hatchery fish I catch as well. I also make toast in every toaster I buy, and open every present thats given to me.

brookies4life and Nick Clayton like this.
  12. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I see the church choir is picking up a few more member's...

13. Kelly Michelsen

Kelly Michelsen Active Member

I agree with sticking with the regs. I keep very rarely and only hatchery
    trout, steelhead all hatchery. I think there. Are a lot of opinions and
    everyone is entitled to there own, we could open a whole wormhole
    of opinions on what is wild and what is not, I have probably said to much
    already.
    Kelly Micheleen

14. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

So a strange story that happened to me this week on the subject.

I fish the same lake everyday, rain or shine, i try to make it at least an hour a day since it is in my backyard, literally.

It is a public lake, that the state stocks, but it is pretty small(less than 100 acres) and a normal sunny weekend day of fishing there are 2-3 boats out there.

Well as of Monday there has been a raft with an older couple in it, when I saw them the first day i waved and said hello and asked how they were doing, but they ignored me and I moved on, they didnt even wave. As I watched them while throwing flies at the shore for bass I noticed they were pulling in stocker rainbow after rainbow and gutting them on the spot. Like they literally would pull one in, take it off the hook, hand it to his wife, and she would gut it while he put more powerbait on and got the pole back in the water. They spent hours out there killing rainbows like they were angry at them.

Since then I have noticed they have been out there everyday, yesterday in the one hour i was out there they killed 8 fish, so I am guessing based on the time they are out there per day vs the number of fish per hour i see them take when I pay attention they are killing well over 10 a day, lets say if they are following the regs 50 since monday.

At this rate if they are out there daily they will fish the lake out of stockers in a period of months just by themselves.

I have been wondering for the past couple of days why they would kill so many, you cant possibly eat that many by yourself, but after reading this thread maybe they are on a mission from god to destroy hatchery fish?

15. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

I'm in the camp of taking only what I can eat that night(3-4 for 3ppl) or if my grandma asks for me to drop fish by her place (1-2). Pretty much I only take fish from pine lake and other lakes that are heavily targeted by the conventional angler. Haven't taken one from lone yet, although my mom pressures me to everything I send her photos of my fish. Haha

As for that couple...if they are taking more than the regs allows, you may want to call it in. Especially if it's happening all the time.

Just my 2cents

16. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

If they are out there again this weekend I might, but I dont REALLY know they take more than the regs allow, but im pretty sure. I tried to strike up a conversation with them yesterday but either they dont speak english or were acting like they dont. If I see them out there everyday this weekend though Ill call them in.

KC

17. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Don't start keep fish out of Pass now (not that I think you were going to).. The lake is mandatory 100% catch and release.

18. totallycustom

totallycustom Member

I don't catch and release anything if its a legal keeper. If I can't keep what I catch I wont fish there. Catch and release is a waste. If you really cared about killing native fish you wouldn't risk possibly killing them by catching them in the first place. Catch and release has turned fishing into just another yuppie gear game.

19. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

no worries

20. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

When we have fish biologists with years of training telling us that we should kill every hatchery steelhead we catch, I'd put more weight on their statements than your opinions based on nothing but misinformation and delusion.

Chris Bellows, Klickrolf and CurtisS like this.