Cattle or cow horns

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

2. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

why not use a hardwood like cocobolo? I know someone who has some...:rolleyes:

3. Daryle Holmstrom

Thought about that but it wouldn't be traditional in the oriental way, I have lots of Australian Iron bark wood that puts cocobola to shame as far as hardness.

4. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Gotcha...

5. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Try calling a custom meat cutter , They sometimes have a horned cow end up in thier shop.

6. Daryle Holmstrom

Got ya, tried e-mailing steve at Andals custom meats in Mount Vernon, I'll try land line on Monday, sometimes there are hiccups in this wired world

7. ribka

ribka Active Member

Helped my rancher /neighbor brand, spray, castrate and dehorn his cattle about a month ago. Will check and see if he has any horn lying around. I used to shoot a Mongolian type recurve with a thumb ring years ago. A lot of fun

8. Daryle Holmstrom

9. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Golly, I'm feeling kinda plain with my traditional longbow and leather glove...

10. Daryle Holmstrom

Don't feel bad just trying something new, with my recurves the shortest one I could get away with was 62 inch'.

If I have any luck making them I'll send one your way Roper

11. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

If you're a southpaw, Roper I have 2 fine longbows that I can no longer shoot due to a bum right shoulder that isn't ever going to improve.

12. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Thanks Jim, but I'm from the east coast...:D

13. Daryle Holmstrom

I'm a little Horny now, got to trim these suckers

Attached Files:

14. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

If you haven't used a thumb ring before, you'll probably need to work up to full poundage with a target bow. You'll also have trouble finding arrows that'll accommodate the full draw length since the thumb ring allows more arrow than the classic 3 fingers will. I made the mistake of trying to shoot a thumb ring right off the bat with my Magyar bow, and it's not comfortable at all! Made mine out of antler. You're looking at the original release aid here, been in use for thousands of years! And for the (historical) record, the Syhas limbed bow design is at least 5,000 years old. archeological digs in western Asia have found their remains in graves that date back that far!

15. Daryle Holmstrom

I've been shooting recurves since 1962 most in the 62 to 68 pound range with 31 1/2 inch shafts, might have to change my style a little. The reason I'm experitmenting is to try a shorter recurve like the Kiko Tovar little suckling, 44 inches, need to dig deep in the pockets though and buy my wife something shining, LOL

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/tf/pics/00small18656205.JPG

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tovar Hunting RecurveAn exceptionally engineered option for the serious brush hunter, and a testimony to a legendary figure and contributor to international archery. The bowís original designer and maker was Kiko Tovar, who died in 1995. Currently being made by Tovarís associate bowyer and successor John P. Tluszcz. Rare combination of characteristicsólight, powerful, short (44î with a 40î stringó the shortest modern bow we have found), strong (phenolic handle), and flexible (Superflex Actionwood limbs). Provided with stringer. Strung bow shown with KikoBlack Gabel Arrows designed for this bow.$750.00