Cedar, almost over for 2013... what's your biggest?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jim Speaker, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    This is from 2006 at about dark on a nymph in the Cedar. 23" solid, given the 15" net opening and 8" net handle.

[​IMG]

What's been your biggest fish from the seedy, and whatcha get it on?

2. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    Hmm, probably 18ish ... dry fly, BWO or PMD. I was into a much large fish last year when I was nymphing a deep whole hard... but lost it.

3. Alosa

Alosa Active Member

WOAH! That's a nice fish.

4. shadowcast

shadowcast Member

14"--golden stone

5. Russ T. Streamers

Russ T. Streamers New Member

I'm not sure what is more impressive, the size of the fish or that you got it to pose like that.

6. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    St Croix 8 1/2' 5 weight $100, Redington GD 5/6 about $100, and SA WF line idk maybe $50? Don't have to spend much $ to catch fish... except all those hooks adorning the branches from deep nymphing. :)

7. seattlee

seattlee New Member

I got this a long time ago between the golf course and the trailer park. Haven't seen many big ones since then with all the people I see throwing bait on the Cedar now though. I caught it on a size 18 red copper john - thought it was a sockeye initially. I taped it out at 23.75", but it wasn't a great measurement (the fish wouldn't stay still) so it could be off by an inch either way. View attachment 32024

JesseC, tinman207, Jslo and 6 others like this.
  8. Jim Speaker

Home Page:

PIG!!! Have to wonder if these gigantic guys are summer runs, dontcha? I got mine end of August... when did you get yours?

9. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

All impressive fish. I can believe that a 14" fish is resident, but I've always held the belief that the big fish are semi-steelhead that live in the lake and swim up to spawn.

David Dalan and Lugan like this.
  10. seattlee

seattlee New Member

I did wonder if it was summer steel. I don't know how to tell. If you look at the other pic (Cedar Trout 3) I posted of it (as a thumbnail only), it looks very resident rainbow like...the gold hue in the other 2 picks is the sun reflecting off it.

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I only fished it once, 14" on a pats stone.

12. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I should add, did catch quite a few more in the 6-12" range, but 14" was the biggest.

13. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    I did not fish it at all (haven't for a good many years), but having a great time living vicariously through you and seatlee's triumphs...those are some memorable fish to be sure.

14. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    I didn't fish it at all this year, been having a good time with smaller fish in the sky basin on my little toy of a 2-weight... :) just thought it would be fun to see pics, hear the stories, and get a sense of whether the big fish are still in there. :)

15. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    I got a couple in a row male and female eighteen and nineteen inches a few minutes apart from a walking speed run above the golf course a bit. I was thinking summer run after I got calmed down a bit.

16. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    I think all those car prowl warnings posted here throughout the season are just a ruse to keep people (like me) from fishing it. :rolleyes:

17. SaltyCutt

SaltyCutt Beach Bum

Media:
    My buddy and I put a decent amount of time in on the cedar this year and couldn't break it's code....but neither of us are really nymphers, so I'm sure we were doing everything wrong. We picked up a couple 8" fish, but nothing bigger than that. Pretty frustrating. As I say every year, we'll figure it out next year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

18. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Still time Steve...
    Heres my best from last year, I had quite a few that were similar this year, but they were all before the water dropped. Hairy wading = good fishing 578737_427918740584229_1476168683_n.jpg

19. montana_sam

montana_sam Member

24- Olive Stim Dry 23- on pink san Juan Worm

Attached Files:

• Bow.jpg
      Bow.jpg
      File size:
      782.6 KB
      Views:
  20. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

My biggest was a little over 21" a couple years ago, and I got him on a golden stone. Biggest this year was a hog I lost that was definitely over the 21". Biggest to hand this year was this guy right at 18" on a pink beaded SJW. WP_20130812_021.jpg
    Alas...I still chase the elusive 22"....but they are still around, and I think more of them than people realize. This time of year, the bigger fellas really hunker down in those fast deep pools and you just have to drop in on them really fast with really heavy nymphs. You can't neglect little "fishy" pocket water and overhangs though....that is where the Cedar will surprise and reward you, and they get skipped a lot I think.

I think the coolest one though has been one 15" bow that I have caught three different times on three different days, in the exact same little hole......with the exact same fly! The first time I put on a yellow stimey to fish to some risers in a little cut bank with a stump for cover and he opened up a hole in the water when he took the fly. About a week later I was in the same spot and pulled my nymphs off because I saw a little guy jumping at the head of the little pocket. I put on a the same stimey and a para-adams dropper and got the little guy on the para dropper. The next cast in the exact spot of the pocket, a hole opened up again and I got the same fish. He had a messed up fin, so I was positive it was him.....totally amazed me. I walked through there about 8 days later with a guy I had just met on the river and was telling him about that fish, and then two minutes later I had the same fish in hand and we were both laughing. I have never seen anything like that.
    That's encouraging to me to see with all the pressure and poachers on the Cedar, that he was staying healthy and alive......surprising that he didn't move over about a 4 week period though.

I think it is as good as it has been in the past 5-6 years. It will never be quite like the first couple years after it opened, but I consider the stretches I fish to be consistently outstanding.

21. Kram

Kram New Member

20" on a CJ
    19" on a Yellow Stimi