Cedar River Cleanup

Discussion in 'Events' started by ChrisW, Jun 5, 2008.

1. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

(Updated 7/2/08.)

We hope you will join us for a cleanup of the Cedar River on Saturday July 12!

The Cedar is one of our area’s most special rivers – it provides drinking water for Seattle, contributes half of Lake Washington’s total inflow and contains important salmon and steelhead habitat. As some of you may have figured out it also contains some LARGE trout.

Now you have a chance to pitch in and make a difference for the Cedar. American Rivers, Puget Soundkeeper Alliance and Friends of the Cedar River Watershed, invite you to participate in a river cleanup on July 12. This will also be a great to learn some new access points for fishing. Thanks to Puget Sound Fly Co and Washington Flyfishing.com to allow us to build on a past event.

To register: sign up at www.americanrivers.org/cedarcleanup

Where: Meet at Renton Community Center parking lot
    (1715 SE Maple Valley Hwy, Renton, WA)

When: Saturday, July 12, from 9am to noon (fishing afterwards?)

Please meet in the community center parking lot at 9am – after entering the parking lot, turn right at the pool and follow the road around. We will be set up in the grassy area in the back.

After gathering at the Renton Community Center parking lot, we will assign volunteers to spots along the river. Following the cleanup, we will meet back at the community center.

We will have gloves, trash bags, and other supplies for volunteers. Each volunteer is strongly encouraged to bring his/her own full, reusable water bottle, to cut down on waste and the need for disposable water bottles.

Flyfishers can feel free to bring waders. Although the river is still high, there is accessible (and fishable) water right now. Please use caution and watch for hazards.

Please email additional questions to cleanup@americanrivers.org or chris@pugetsoundkeeper.org

Special thanks to our partners Tom’s of Maine and Whole Foods for supporting this event!

2. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

Media:
    Clark and Anil have been awsome the past few years. Their stewartship of a very highly visible and local watershed is a positive influence. The clean up, right after the 4th of July one year, got a lot junk, keepin all those nitrates out of the system. A homless dude living under the bridge came out from his rock and helped fill up a couple of bags. I think he thought we were gonna pay him. Oh, well- it's all good.

3. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Just a :thumb: for this effort and reply to bump this thread to the top! Sending a PM to rsvp - thanks!

4. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    Naw, that was just him paying me back for putting a bridge over his head :thumb:

5. tim beez

tim beez beach maggot

is anyone going from downtown seattle area i could possibly hitch a ride with?

6. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    I will...I recon you'd like to be picked up from the ferry? Would you mind holding that $20 Simms vest for me till then?

7. tim beez

tim beez beach maggot

sent you a pm

8. Bruce Gibson

Bruce Gibson What's that?...umm tastes good.

Home Page:
    Chris,

Have you contacted the City Of Renton regarding this clean-up? I ask only because I have a contact over there that works these kinds of projects and they can provide a variety of resources. I've worked with him is the past on various park clean up projects.

9. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Thanks Bruce, could you please forward the contact info to me?

We are working with King County DNR. They are helping with trash disposal because much of this cleanup will happen in unincorporated King county, but we are starting out within the Renton City limits so it would be good to get them involved as well.

Everyone:
    I would really like to see a good turnout from the folks on this site. If you would like to learn more about fishing opportunities on this River, c'mon down for the cleanup on Saturday. You are sure to learn more access points and maybe even get some tips or knowledge from guys who fish the river (no promises on secret spots though :).

I may stay and fish a while afterwards, I will have to see how my weekend looks. I am not an expert but I have caught fish in this river.

RSVP to www.americanrivers.org/cedarcleanup -it helps us keep track of how many are coming.

Chris
    chris@pugetsoundkeeper.org
    206-297-7002