Cedar River Report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jason Decker, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Today was a great day to be fishing the cedar river. By buddy Todd and I are blessed with a somewhat flexible work schedule, so on a whim, we decided to head out around 12noon today
    to a nice stretch on the cedar. with the weather being overcast, recent rain and being a workday,
    we thought this might be a good alignment of conditions, it was!

i figured out that those weird fish on the spawn are suckers, looking like cross between a whitie and a carp. there are tons of them sitting in the tail outs. they don't seem to bite much.

We covered about 2.5 miles of water using sink tips and streamers. Last year, the go to flies were sage, chartouse, green and in the big nasty soltau style! it was awhile before we got into the first fish.
    Todd caught a large dink, he had just switch to a dark black MOAL leech and that was the ticket.

[​IMG]

So we worked down the next mile and found a nice stretch of fishy water, we started dredging this run window wiper style standing close and my fly just blew up. Caught this nice fish.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The thing is, I KNOW THIS FISH. I caught this very fish last year and posted it - here is the link
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=33869&highlight=cedar river

Even with the crazy changes, new contours and channels, this fish still lives in the same hood. even more, it is nice to see it bigger and still here for us to enjoy.
    We guess this fish is at least 24 inches. It was so strong it bent the hook!
    [​IMG]
    It was caught around 2:00pm. last year i was guessing it around 22 inches.

Todd proceeded to catch his little brother on the very next cast to the same spot, his fish put on an amazing acrobatic display,
    we guess it around 16 inches. the thing is todd did it while smoking a cigar! :cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We were amazed at the new features the river has, the changes, some good and some bad have us excited to explore it all ASAP.

The nice thing about today, aside from the fish, we didn't see anyone else on the water. this is a nice change from friday's mad house!

when we got back to the car, some lady got psycho about us parking where we did, i know for a fact, the spot is county property, no private road sign, she got all crazy, todd and i just laughed at her.
    she went around looking at the few cars parked there. funny thing is, her husband or neighbor came out while we were fishing at their spot and was very nice, go figure,
    this is the crazy lady's plate 827 NNK white ford minivan...

looks like it's gonna be another crazy good year on the cedar!

Jason

2. Eric B

Eric B Montana hillbilly

Thanks for the report & esp. the pics. A flexible work schedule is a beautiful thing. Keep it up!!!

3. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    Nice work Jason - heavy envy here. Been out 5 times so far only been into a couple of fish and nothing like these. Keep up the good reports.

Stew

4. Fly Fanatic

Fly Fanatic Bull Trout

Home Page:
    Beautiful fish! I just might have to take a long lunch myself tomorrow :beer2:

5. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Jason,
    That first fish is a beauty! I would say 20 inches on the nose, and the lower one is around 12, not 16. Nice fish.

6. Jason Decker

Media:
    Home Page:
    sure thing dude, there is no way that fish is 20 nor is todd's 12.
    you said the same crap with dan's fish on the yak, which i measured myself
    as did a local guide we were fishing with - that one WAS 22!
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=38084

just to show you, i'll catch this same fish again and tape it.

7. Zen Piscator

Media:
    Home Page:
    Cool man, get it with your landroverorvissimms. I had some supports if I recall on that thread. Thanks for the backup.

8. Jason Decker

Media:
    Home Page:
    the best quote fits again!

landroverorvissimms - now it all makes sense! are you a yuppie hater?!

9. Zen Piscator

Media:
    Home Page:
    Jason,
    If you are confused- here is a 24in rainbow.
    [​IMG]
    I hear they have a support group in ephrata for men with "size issues" Rocky Crossing or rockford or something like that...

10. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    The Cedar *was* fishing well yesterday. I went with a bud and we were into fish pretty consistently from when we got there (11 am) on. Explored several spots between the golf course and Hwy 18 and started hooking heavy fish right off the bat on a big brown woolly bugger, floating line. Hooked to landed ratio was abysmal, however...these fish are feisty. Was my first time fishing the Cedar and I was very impressed with the quality of fish. Finally, I managed to hook and land one of those pigs. Since I don't have a photo to post, I'll just say it was 27 inches.

11. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Nice report Mr. Decker, looks like the old creek was good to you...

C/22........:thumb:

12. kameharem

kameharem New Member

having never fished the cedar, anyone willing to give a tip as to where to start? without giving up their secret spots of course.

k

13. SOmetimes, lighting and angles make a fish look deceiving on the size and weight scale. If uncertain, bring your measure net. This Roche lake fish caught last week was just shy of 20" and weighed in at a little over 3 lbs. although from the photo taken it would appear to be more like a 16" fish. I can verify that because I taped it out in the measure net. Your Cedar fish looks pretty thin but definitely a nice fish for that small piece of water. Incredible that it has avoided the poaching and grown to be that size. Fish On!

14. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Media:
    I can't resist the temptation to post my own cedar exploits. This last weekend (sat and sun. mornings) I caught about 25 fish, 4 at or over 20''. All were measured against the 20'' mark I put on all of my rods. All were caught on a floating line on a tube sculpin or a double bunny. It was incredible.

Derek

15. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Rockyday111, you up in the watershead again??

C/22........;)

16. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

fishAK and i fished the cedar yesterday. my first trip to the river and we had fun. we caught a few whopper 9" fish and fishAK got a sweet 14"er, but the trip was made for me when i hooked a big fish just upstream from the library. the fish pulled like a freightliner and stayed on the other side of the river. eventually my net-man showed up and we got the fish to our side of the river. finally got to where i could see it, easy 25" fish. got closer:mad: monster lunker sucker or whatever. fought great on my 'boo rod(first fish i've caught on my gramp's rod) but oh well just a sucker. i thought for a while i had a monster bow on, but that was not to be.

17. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    Zen: While I speak for most, I would assume, in enjoying your exploits; I have to say that you've become somewhat of a hater lately. Let's face it brother, you catch a lot of fish, you catch a lot of fish and post them all on this board. Not all of those fish would be the most "sporting" for some members of this site (being more traditional fly fisherman). When you do post these pics, you have caught a little heat in the past, but are pretty good at brushing it off. Different strokes for different folks, right? Now, I've notice you in this "fishing police" type mode and it surprises me. Once in a while, like in criticizing friends and family, it's just better to follow that golden rule (you know the one).

Lighten up my man, do not succumb to the dark side....:beer2:

18. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Zen if you're going to post a pic of a 24 inch fish, which I doubt that fish is;), at least do yourself some justice and post a respectable steelhead pic. That fish looks like hell. :D

19. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Media:
    Just a side note.
    For everyone who will be fishing the cedar this summer here is the number for the poaching hotline. Everyone should have it programed into their cell phones.

28 steelhead escaped last year on the cedar. We need to help keep poachers in check when we can. I think the extra eyes on the river is the only reason that fishing is remotely justifiable in light of this steelhead crisis. This of course assumes that the catch and release mortality will be less than the fish that would otherwise have been killed by poachers.

1-800-477-6224

20. Bill Dodd

Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Media:
    Way to go Zen! Nice way to represent the US Youth Fly Fishing Team in a Public Forum.

Bill Dodd.