Cedar River Report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jason Decker, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,619 / 0
    Great report, Jason. It's good to hear that the Cedar is in shape and fishing well while the summer steelhead rivers are blown out.

Sg
  2. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,656 / 0
    You would think or it seems like it that the Cedar river is the only stream with trout in it in Western Washington. Doesn't anybody fish anyplace else??? I guess I could skip this thread but you all build up J.D. like he's a god or something.

This POst is not to be taken seriously. Because it was written by an grouchy Old Man.

Jim
  3. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,619 / 0
    Jim,

JD isn't a god. He's a yuppie fly fisherman who has put in his time and paid his dues fishing the Cedar. I think it's cool that he's found quality trout fishing (assuming you can ignore the hillbilly hatch I was reading about) in a basically urban setting and shares stories about it here. What could be wrong with that?

I guess the main thing is that you have to wear good quality wading boots cuz there's almost as much broken beer bottle glass as there are river rocks.

Don't worry. We know you're a grouch. We don't take you seriously.

Sg
  4. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    OMJ...i think a lot of it has to do with the convenient close-by location of the river.
    but you also have to get around the homeless people on the river banks too, besides the hillbilly hatch.
    not all it's cracked up to be IMHO, not into the local scenery.
  5. Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Port Orchard, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Actually, I take Jim very seriously. To me, he's a reminder of all I aspire to be when I get older - loveable in an argumentative, opinionated, cranky sort of way.

Of course, my wife threatens me with the Kevorkian treatment when I talk that way...:eek:

Just kiddin' ya, Jim - hope your wellspring of wisdom never runs dry. :thumb:
  6. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Oh man, another Jimbo in the making... I thought the mold was broken after the first one was made!

Be afraid, be very afraid! :clown:

And Jim, do we ever take ya seriously? :confused:
  7. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +264 / 0
    I'd like to think I'm all into exploring new places to fish, but I am one of those lame people who in the summer can't decide between the MF Snoqualmie(little fish, nice setting, plenty of privacy to be found), or the Cedar (big fish, ok setting, not enough privacy to pee w/o toilet or MGD bottle).
  8. Fly Fanatic Bull Trout

Federal Way, WA
    "You also have to get around the homeless people on the river banks too, besides the hillbilly hatch. Not all it's cracked up to be IMHO, not into the local scenery."

I fished the lower river one time in Renton and that is exactly why I've never fished that stretch again.
    Instead I fish the upper river below Landsberg Bridge where it is 10x more scenic, less crowded and practically devoid of "local flavor." While some may argue that the trout in this stretch of the river are not as big, I've caught some very nice fish in this area over the last two years. I'd rather catch a 14" trout than a 20" any day if it means I don't have to worry about meth heads and getting my truck broken into.
  9. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    well...you'll always be able to pee on the cedar if alls you need is a beer bottle:D
  10. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    I sent you a pm.
  11. Ken II LIB

Auburn,Wa.
    Friday, June 1- We floated from Landsburg to Maple Valley, with the three of us totally in the ball park of 30 fish. Smallest being 10 in. and the two largest were a 18 in. Bow, and 18 in. Cutt. Lots of 12-14 in trout. Tons of fun!!!
  12. Jason Decker Active Member

Issaquah, WA

wow! that's sweet, how was the float? what kind of boat did you use?
    we've been thinking about floating the river but haven't had the chance yet.
    must of been tough as it is a bit low in spots - any float issues?

jason
  13. obiwankanobi Active Member

Ratings: +98 / 0
    Can anyone help me out! I want to fish this river tomorrow, but I drive a black 07 Honda Civic Si. So it is a bullseye for thieves, is there anywhere that one can get away with the peace of mind that crack addicts are not looking to break into your vechicle?

When I lived in Spokane, I specifically didn't fish the Spokane River, due to this problem.

Any and all help would be appreciated.
  14. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +264 / 0
    All you can do is be smart about it. If you let fear of methheads stop you from fishing, you won't do a whole lot of fishing in Washington. I suspect WA has more meth addicts than Idaho has people altogether. I know most of you guys like solitude and relative quiet when you're fishing, but I must say almost every random river person I've met in Renton, whether it's been gear fishermen, beer drinkers, or spray painters, they've always said 'Hi', didn't do anything to bother me. I've even had some nice conversations with the graffiti kids, and caught cutthroats right next to where they were standing.
  15. Yorkshire New Member

Issaquah, WA
    I'm friends with a guy who has had his vehicle broken into 3 times on the upper stretch of the Cedar, the last time being just a week ago. He has stripped his car of anything that can be taken, only taking the gear he will take down to the river. Then he leaves his car open and off he goes. We're waiting to see how this will work out!
    Last night I avoided my favorite stretch because I know there have been multiple car break-ins, so I ended up parking in the lot at Landsberg bridge. At least there is a good flow of fisherman in the lot and it is right next to the highway.
  16. obiwankanobi Active Member

Ratings: +98 / 0

See that is my problem. I grew up in Idaho and loved the solitude I found in fly fishing. I very much enjoyed the more populated places to fish like Silver Creek, Henry's Fork and Big Wood since those people were fly fishing addicts like me, not crack junkies. I appreciate all of your advice guys!!

Bob
  17. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Park the car on one of the spots for the bikers and roller blades for the trail that goes along the river for a long way and that is along the main road. Then hike into the area of river you want to fish. Sure you can not just jump out of you car and start fishing but your car should be fairly safe with all the traffic going by it every 2 seconds. This will also get you into better shape when you want to head off into the woods to park your car and hike 2 or more miles to the fishing hole to get away from the crowds.
    If that still makes you nervous to park your car there just park at lake Wilderness and take the bike trail down to the river. Its also amazing the fishing holes on that river that you can walk into but where you can not park very close to.
    If you are really worried about the car then take a bus. There are bus stops close to the river in a few places. :eek:
  18. CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

Covington, Wa
    Park along the road and ride your bike on the path to your spot. Ditch the bike in the bush and chain it to a tree. Or you could bring your roller blades, but we've all heard the rollerblade joke.
    Q. what's the hardest part about rollerblading?
    A. Telling your parents your gay.
  19. Ken II LIB

Auburn,Wa.
    Sent you a pm
  20. giv'n fatlips Member

north bend
    God Damit! Decker I just bought that same vest, I was really looking forward to wearing it too :(