Cedar Stones

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by shadowcast, Aug 7, 2013.

1. shadowcast

shadowcast Member

Just wondered if someone could help me identify these monster (2"+) stonefly nymphs I'm seeing all over the banks of the Cedar. Is one of them Agnetina Capitata? I've tried large double-bead head golden stone nymphs, along with others of slightly different size and colors to no avail. Only thing that works for me are much smaller prince nymphs wth?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Hi shadowcast-

I believe both exuvia to be of Claassenia sabulosa. Perhaps the top one is just more bleached out by the sun than the bottom one.

3. shadowcast

shadowcast Member

Thanks, Taxon!

BTW--that's a great website.

Taxon likes this.
  4. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Media:
    This is probably my favorite insect. Since I live in Northern California, I have access to hordes of large stoneflies. Claassenia sabulosa, also known as the Summer Stonefly, hatches in my favorite river, the Lower Sacramento. I caught a dozen of mature Summer Stones and hatched them in my aquarium. They only live for a few days as adults, and the males have tiny short wings. The females are the size of male salmonflies, and have normal, long wings. There's a big hatch of them on the Yakima River. But lastly, you can tell there this species by the white W on there forehead.