Celestial Alignment and SRCs

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Sloan Craven, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    Sixfinger and I made our first attempt at SRCs. Things were a little slow early on so we went to get some info halfway through the day. We were basically told that there was no point fishing for SRCs so close to a full moon because it the SRCs wouldn't feed during the day at this time. It makes sense, but with all the reading I've done I never came across this info. What do people know about this?
  2. hendersonbaylocal Member

Seattle WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
  3. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    What I was told is that SRCs can take these opportunities to feed at night and thus not expose themselves to predators.
  4. dsteding Member

City, State
    I have a theory about brownies-that it is light enough at night so they don't feed hard during the day. Seems to hold true on full moons in Montana . . . maybe it does for sea runs as well?
  5. tyeechuck Member

SEATTLE, WA.
    and Jupeter is aligned with mars. What the hell if you have time and energy fish. Only a lunatic wouldn't fish because of the moon. But always keep it in mind as a good excuse for later being skunked. I had a friend that said he never caught a fish on a day he saw an eagle. If I felt that way I wouldn't have gone down to the beach ths morning. As I got there the crows and gulls were raising hell as two eagles were working the water I wanted to fish. On my third cast I hooked a fine fish but I lost it. I missed 3 other fish,,, maybe he was right about eagles? Next time before I go I'll butcher a chicken to read the entrails to see what and how to fish. A little chicken liver rubbed on that euphasid may be the ticket.
    Don't wait for it to be right my best day on searuns was what I expected from conventional wisdom to bad for fishing. Let yourself be suprised. the day after you fish you can tell them the should have been there yesterday.

Jim Koolick
  6. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    I agree with Jim, though I have no evidence to back my opinion up. Seems to me if there's fish there, and they're either curious or hungry, than you have a good chance of catching one of them.
    If all else fails, sacrifice something.
    Cheers,
    Jason
  7. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Thre has been a bugaboo about salmon fishing for decades that fishing after a full moon will not be as productive. Could be. I know we always schedule our trips to Loreto on a week that is "dark of the moon."
    For sea-run cutthroat in the salt, particuarly south Puget Sound and Hood Canal, any slow or irratic fishing from about mid-February through mid-April is that it is the apex of the spawning season. At this time cutthroat can be a bit traumatized from;
    1. the spawning process
    2. the changeover of fresh and salt water in their bodies
    Cutthroat do recover quite rapidly after spawning and returning to the salt. That is why we often find some of the skinny post spawners slamming into just about anything that moves. They are hungry and have a need to rebuild their strength after completing spawning. You will also come up against some fat cutthroat that have:
    1. not gone into natal creeks to spawn yet
    2. have completed spawning earlier (February) and have enjoyed time to rebuild bulk and strength.
    Fishing for cutthroat in the salt should show significant improvement about the middle of next month and continue on through the summer and fall. Keep the faith and release 'em carefully. Sea-run cutthroat are a genuine treasure.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson
  8. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Sloan, there may be some correlation to fish feeding at night on the full moon and a lack of success with the next day's fishing. Searuns, as well as Salmon and fresh water fish too. Seems there might be something to it, and I’ve heard it enough from others. A lot of feeding occurs on photosensitive zooplankton, that drop in the water column during daylight.

The way I see it though, waiting for the "best" time would eliminates 9/10ths of my time on the water. I have had some of my best days on the water when all the factors were against me, so go figure. Fish when the opportunity presents itself, you can never tell. Like Koolick said, if nothing else, it gives you a good excuse. What you need to do is go fish some noisy gurgler by moonlight, see if you can get some of those big boys to chase it down!
  9. sixfinger Ryan Haseman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Kinda makes me feel better. I felt a little guilty dragging Sloan up here to fish the wrong beach by the wrong structure with the wrong flies at the wrong tide at the wrong lunar cycle.
  10. Fly Fanatic Bull Trout

Federal Way, WA
    I had always felt like the full moon thing was a bunch of BS, until last July in Montana. The fishing was excellent all week, then after the full moon, the fishing majorly died down for a day or two. Enough of a difference that I planned next year's trip around a new moon :)