Center for Disease Control gun violence study

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Alex MacDonald, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    As someone who's engaged in plenty of research during the course of my career, I've learned to discount about 98% of political stats as complete bullshit. The "poll" designers begin with a premise, and structure the sample population, sample location, and questions in such a way to get the desired result rather than the other way round. As an example, it's like this crap about "90% of Americans support background checks" and the reporter uses CNN stats. They tend to survey in coastal areas where they're likely to get a good sample return for their effort (common sense in wanting a high sample return, and can't be faulted), but their population location isn't representative of the entire national population-not even close. Ask the question "do you feel we have enough gun laws" in Berkeley, , among "registered voters" and you're going to get a completely skewed response compared to Little Rock, where both are similar in population size. Sure as hell, they know more people in Berzerkley are liberals than in Little Rock, and are more apt to lean one way as opposed to the other. You notice they NEVER reveal their sample populations as anything other than "registered voters", or "likely to vote". If the true sample were so overwhelming, then you'd think they would have let their reps know, and the national vote would have certainly gone the other way.

2. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    Almost all statistics, especially those which try to bolster a political position, are pure bullshit. The "investigators" pick a sample population best chosen to support a particular platform item from a city where "registered voters" means more members of the supporting political party. Notice they never tell you WHERE the sample's from, just "registered voters" or "likely to vote". Case in point? CNN, Quinnipiac, MSNBC all reported "90% of Americans support this". but clearly, 90% didn't call or write congress, otherwise the vote would have gone the other way. I see this as being different from the vote on obamacare. Politicians who supported more gun laws saw the results of the last time they tried to pull off this stunt, and chose to keep their jobs. Probably they think the cluster-fuck of socialized medicine isn't that big a thing. Just wait, though; they'll regret not reading the bill before they voted.

3. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    OK, That was weird!! I posted the first, and for some reason it didn't show. I decided to do another post, and once I committed that one, the first one showed! Sorry about the essentially double post!

4. TheShadKing

TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistical Samples. :eek:

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  5. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    Long live Mark Twain!!!

6. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Commandeering the media and controlling the dialogue it perpetuates played a significant part in how the Third Reich gained power and control over the German people. A neutral, largely unbiased media is key to a democracy. Regardless of where you sit politically, this is a troubling direction for America.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  7. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    "this is a troubling direction for America". Unless you're a progressive.