Centerpin rod/reel fly fishing.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fredaevans, Nov 8, 2009.

1. sroffe

sroffe Member

I think the biggest draw to a center pin is playing the fish on a 1:1 reel. Other than that, you can do the same thing with conventional float rod and a real nice bait caster. ( and still blow up a spool of mono filament line )

Don't get me wrong, I would love to get into the center pin rod set up, it appeals to me, but, I still have to get my time in on swing flies for steelhead, so for now, I'll use what I have.

2. narwhal

narwhal Member

Media:
    I love it! Have a few setups now and use them for steelies to silvers to big trout on teh Kenai.

Wish it wan't such a pain to travel with them or I would bring one down when I come to Tacoma in 2 weeks.

3. Erik F. Helm

Erik F. Helm Frozen in the river, speyrod in hand

Be careful here...
    Center-pinning is hot in the Midwest for steelhead, but it comes with a price. The reduction of the hardware to an almost guaranteed fish-catcher when using a single egg, brings with it an inherent numbers mentality. Fishing is reduced to numbers. Period. Guys go 18 for 20 in a single run. RUN down to the river to low-hole people and catch all the fish. Ethics, respect, restraint, beauty, all gone. Nothing but numbers. I know. I have to deal with it every day on the water. They complain that there are not enough fish around if they don't get at least ten a day.

Sounds like something you could do without in WA given the state of your steelhead.

I may sound like the prophet of doom here, but once center-pinning becomes established somewhere, there is no going back.

4. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Started CP fishing last winter. It's a blast, I doubt I'll ever nymph for steelhead again. Casting is tricky, it took me around 2 hours to get the hang of it. Although it's different, it's every bit as challenging as fly casting, timing is everything.

It's pretty sick being able to fish the far edge of a seam w/out having your line sucked down by the fast portion of the current. I can fish all the water I used to nymphing and then some.

Gitcher' pin on!

5. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Eric, just a sidenote. CPing is also established in BC. Funny thing - I go there to flyfish (mostly on the Thompson) and have more issues with flyfishermen low-holing me and being competitive than I do the 'pinners.

Just because your local jerks happen to use centerpins doesn't mean that there's any inherent relevance. Give them a flyrod and a bobber and they wouldn't change a bit.

Tried casting a centerpin a few times = humbling :eek:

my .02,

Brian

6. wolverine

wolverine Member

18 to 20 fish in a run in Cheeseconsin? Heck in WA were lucky to have 18 to 20 in the entire river!

7. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    People are assholes. Rarely has anything to do with the type of rod/reel they're using.

I'm tempted to pick up centerpinning as an alternative to nymphing, mainly because I can't get the hang of nymphing and it seems like an awful lot of work on a fly rod. Swinging's just so easy.

8. kosel80

kosel80 Native Trout Fan

Media:
    I use a "Centrepin" Rod and reel over here in the UK for the majority of my non flyfishing. As far as "catching on" a centerpin reel is what the spinning reel evolved from and centrepinning is about as old as fly fishing. They are a blast to fish with a far more technical than most people give them credit for. I have just the basics for fishing the method over here but my friends who are serious about it carry 30-40 different sizes and styles of floats and more tippet (hook length) material than I own. The standard float rod for my water is a 13' rod rated for 4lb test line. The trick to it is being able to dead drift your float...a lot like nymphing actually. The one thing about the 1 to 1 retrieve ratio is that the average centerpin has about a 3.5 to 4 inch arbor so they aren't as slow as you would think. Its not fly fishing or even close to it but it does take a lot of dedication to do it right.....

9. Daniel Nelson

Daniel Nelson BAMF

18 to 20....must be fishing lake michigan...they stock the bejesus out that lake unlike superior.

get this...i went 0 for 0 this Sat and Sun. BEAT THAT!!

i cant nymph worth a shit for steelhead...i cant even hook one with egg patterns!!!

10. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    Sorry, I have nothing productive to add but..... Is that a centerpin rod in your pocket or are you happy to see me? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Saw an old CP in a pawn shop a few weeks ago. I thought about picking it up but I have no clue how to fish one.

11. TomB

TomB Active Member

naw dude...bait fishing with a flyrod is the new fad...i rig gutted steelhead eggs in cheesecloth and nymph them out of the boat with my switchdicator and indobob...I hope to also do it this winter on the "OP"

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    If you haven't tried it, drift gillnetting in rivers takes a lot of skill, not to mention luck, but when you finally get the hang of it, it's really productive. Talk about numbers! Makes a person wonder why anyone would bother with fly fishing . . .

Sg

13. TomB

TomB Active Member

Salmo...i am quite interested in this new technique...is there a way one can attach a drift gill net to a flyrod so they may continue to 'flyfish'? If so, I think I may have found my calling.

14. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    TomB,

Attaching to a fly rod is quite possible, but I've found that fly casting the gillnet to be functionally impossible. But you can just sorta' shake the net out of the back of the boat, kinda' like shaking the fly line out in order to troll a fly in a lake. But it's really hard to argue with the numbers . . .

Sg

15. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Tom - get a Skagit line. You can cast ~anything~ with that. Fully rigged cut-plug, spawn sacs under a boober, probably even a small driftnet.

Just remember the Sustained Anchor concept and let the driftnet sink a bit before you start your forward cast. :thumb:

16. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

I really enjoy using my center pin set up for certain applications on certain rivers. However, it is my opinion that there is nothing like the electric jolt that is felt when a steelhead hits your fly in mid-swing! Just my two-cents.

Regards,

Andrew

17. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Back these two up about 20 years each for a more accurate picture.

But then, that was pre-internet forum so how would anyone know how to fish? :rofl:

TC

18. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Humm, Charlie .... how cold is a 'cold day in hell??';)

Fred

19. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

NOTE that i dont no jack shit about centerpins like i pretty much stated, retard. Read the whole post before you say smart ass things.

20. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

iagree

Not to worry Sully, not to worry.:ray1: Only a few times/places I'd use this type of set up; couple of them on the Chetco River come to mind. Fairly narrow run, medium fast water against the wall 25'ish yards away and deeper than 'shxt' with the exception of very low water.

With a single hander and a 400 grain Tny Nymph head you can get down to where the fish are, but beyond that ... not a chance. Another one is 'Redwood' where the natural flow/bottom puts the holding water close to 140 feet away from you. The gear chuckers can get there/drift .... with (me) a spey rod ... not a chance in heck.

Couple of places on the Rogue below Grants Pass have slow deep runs and almost impossible to properly fish with a fly rod. With a center pin (even though it's a fairly short cast) may be just the ticket to properly cover this Salmon/Steelhead holding water.

fae

Edit: Ease up Zack, ease up fellow.:D