Centerpin rod/reel fly fishing.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fredaevans, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Read through all 4 pages of this thread in one sitting, and almost spit out my beer when I saw this. Yay for Seinfeld references!

Nick

2. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    "Worlds are colliding"
    "Yada yada yada"
    "For I am Catanza Lord of the idiots"

Back to the topic at hand, "not that there is anything wrong with that is heard in 2 situations.
    1. After " I think he's gay" and
    2. after "You might as well pull out a spinning rod"

3. Double D

Double D New Member

Media:
    What is all of this centrepin hype about? Is it the float fishing aspect of it or just the single action reel? I am from B.C. and people have been doing it up here forever, both with centrepins and levelwinds. I'd say that 90% of steelheading done up here is done with a float, because it works really well.

4. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    Damn Canadians and their strange ways.

5. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Media:
    That's pretty funny eh!

6. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    There is one thing about fly fishing that bugs me: the stigma that other methods are superior and/or more sporting. I call BS. It may not be you in particular but I have seen it over and over again: Some holier-than-thou fly fisher gives a person fishing gear a hard time.

I love seeing and catching fish. For the most part, I use whichever method I enjoy the most and/or whichever method I feel will give me the best chance at catching a fish. With trout, that is essentially 100% of the time. With steelhead, I gear fish a lot. And I don't apologize for it one bit. I prefer the feel of the take rather than the visual aspect of the float moving, suggesting a fish (or rock) has intercepted the fly. The only exception about the visual aspect would be fishing dries where you see the fish on the surface. Therefore, I often fish on the swing, whether it is flies or gear more than a indicator/bobber/float (whatever you want to call it). However, there is no disputing that float fishing works. And I occasionally do it as part of my fishing experience.

Be honest folks. If you think you are a more ethical, better, or a more refined angler because you "fly fish" for steelhead with a fly rod, reel, floating fly line, indicator, split shot, and two "flies", (one being an egg) just so you can say you are fly fishing, then you may have missed the point. Yeah, sure you may be legally fly fishing (unless you are in Oregon). But you may be better off using a jig and bobber or heaven forbid, a center pin float rod and face the scorn and ridicule of the so called fly fisher. Rather than turn your nose up at fellow angler fishing an inferior method (gear), he/she should be your ally, as you both are pursuing an equally-shared passion. And that person may have been or may in the future, be very instrumental in advocating your privilege to fish.

7. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Media:
    I would fish my pin over nymph fish with a fly rod anyday. Ive caught fish doing both and I enjoy pinning way more than nymphing....as far as winter steelhead go. If Im gonna fly fish, then Im gonna swing. As far as BDD's post goes...amen.

8. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Media:
    iagree

I will never forget, years ago fishing at Lake Lenore, I was slowly stripping in a chronomid. There were a bunch of guys sitting there with there flies under their indicators. I made the comment that it looked lik they were fishing with a bobber and worm. I got some serious dirty looks.

I love fishing, period. I have been fly fishing for about 25 years, but I also use gear. Not as often, but sometimes gear is the best option.

I first experienced using a centerpin reel mooching for salmon in Puget Sound with my dad in the 70's. I remember driving around Victoria with him looking for an Alvey reel because you could not find them in the states.

If you fish ethically and respect the resources its all good!

9. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

I take your point! First 'trip,' as in off to the grass area across from the house to 'lean how/practice' UGULY, TRULY UGLY!!bawling:bawling: Longest cast I could get? Maybe 30 foot and at a 90 degree angle from the end of the rod tip (think just up-stream from your feet:beathead:)

Soooo, what's wrong with this picture? Change end gear, float, weights, then to the store to strip off the 30# P-line Hydrofloat and swap out to 20#. Back the the change this, change that and ZIP!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Now, if back in the very early '80's I could read a book and re-learn how to cast a 2-hander with 30 minutes on the river ........ these center pins are a whole new game plan.

Bummer!!:mad::hmmm:

fae

10. longstick

longstick Member

I hate hydro float, sufix siege all the way.

11. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:
    Personally I don't care how anyone else fishes. But what amazes me is that people come to a site titled Washington Fly Fishing posting pics,talking about how a differant method of fishing is the best or the hottest way to fish. They then proceed to get their shorts in a wad when people on a fly fishing site give them shit?? Hell some of the replies even state that pin fishing is not fly fishing! I don't get it!

12. Daniel Nelson

Daniel Nelson BAMF

Amen 1morecast....can i get a witness???

13. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    says the guy from minnesota. eh.

anil and bannon. show me the way of the pin fellow dirtballers :beer2:

14. Man of Steel

Man of Steel New Member

Here is one of the best centerpin websites around. It is oriented to the eastern rivers but will answer any questions you have.
    Floatfishingconnection.com

15. Daniel Nelson

Daniel Nelson BAMF

correction my boy...I live in Minnesota, I'm from Alabama.

I dont know if this makes things better or worse??

16. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    We should see if Scoones wants to change the site to Washinton Pinners:p

17. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

I came to flyfishing after watching a guy on a river put his pin down and take up his fly rod...Looked like he was having allot more fun...Still I fished my pin for salmon etc. slowly I realized every time I was out with the pin...I was getting bored...started to bring my fly rod..and then my spey rod...
    Slowly the pin(s) have sat at home...
    I have found so much more excitement and challenge in using the fly that it engrosses me all my time on the water....I don't pretend to be an elitist...I just enjoy what I do and while the numbers might not be what they were with gear...but then the fewer the fish, the gratification is ten fold....

.I have two pins for sale and three pin rods...custome spey beulah, gloomis, lamiglass...
    Pins...well you take a look...
    They aren't cheap, the fancy one is from ontario and goes for 800 new...The other is a milner..made in b.c. and has a strong following..

(Fred you will find if you affix a good chunk of lead the roll kind that you can slide your line through...it will help your casting practice...most floats for out here are around 90 or more grains...take it back, let the line go and swing it out....)

18. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    BDD,

It's not about the arrogance of inferior or superior method. There is a lot of confusion about that. With regard to trout fishinng, fly fishing is frequently the most effective method. The topic of centerpinning seems to be about steelhead fishing and the fact that it's more effective at putting up "numbers." That's why I posted tongue-in-cheek (t.i.c.) that using a drift gillnet takes a lot of skill and puts up the "numbers" like nothing else.

Fly fishing for steelhead is about almost anything except "numbers." Fly fishing for steelhead is less effective than bait fishing with drift gear, or float fishing with centerpins and bait or lure, or nymphing with an indicator/float/bobber. It is the self-imposed constraint of choosing a less effective method that makes fly fishing the "swing" a higher art form, not a superior, just a higher form than any kind of drift fishing, bait fishing, or centerpinning.

Let's use hunting as an analogy. A hunter can choose from numerous methods: a highpower modern rifle with variable high power scope, a 30-30 with open sights, a smooth-bore muzzle loader, a compound archery bow with sophisticated sights, a recurve bow with basic sighting system, a yew-wood longbow with no sights. None is intrinsically superior nor inferior to the other. But would you really try to convince me that the longbow shooter isn't practicing a higher hunting art form than the scoped modern rifle shooter?

It's the same with fishing gear. I know I would be more effective with another gear choice, but I choose fly fishing for steelhead because it is the method that yields me the greatest personal satisfaction while still offering a reasonable chance of success. If I were into the least common denominator of "whatever works," I'd absolutely choose a drift gillnet over all else if it were legal.

There you have it, my case for higher art form, not which is better or worse, superior or inferior. If you perceive a degree of arrogance among the fly fishermen who select methods requiring the greatest self-imposed constraint or limitation, consider it similar to the longbowman who brought down a trophy elk at 20 yards feeling a tad loftier than the guy who chose to do the same with a scoped high powered rifle from 400 yards away. He has the right to do so by accepting the tougher challenge and acquiring and applying the skill to be successful.

While there is nothing unethical about nymphing for steelhead with a fly rod or float fishing for them with a centerpin rod, they are both a lower art form by definition for the very reason that they are more effective than swinging a fly, on average.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

19. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:
    iagree

Well put Salmo!!

20. TomB

TomB Active Member

iagree too