Central Oregon Road Trip

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Tom Arroll, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Tom Arroll

Tom Arroll Member

Media:
    Hi,

Just got back from a 10 day road trip with the family to Central Oregon.

Day 1. We drove from Seattle to the Deschutes County Campground at the confluence of the Columbia River. I spey fished a promising looking run near the mouth of the Descutes in hope of catching an early steelhead. To my surprise I caught two 3-4 lb smallmouth bass!
    View attachment 32764
    Day 2. We drove up canyon and camped about 20 miles or so south of Maupin. Beautiful canyon with some realy nice water. I caught several whitfish and small Redbands 10 inches at best.
    View attachment 32752 View attachment 32748 View attachment 32759 View attachment 32768 View attachment 32770 View attachment 32766
    We had a family of Bighorn Sheep hanging out accross the river from our camp site.
    View attachment 32743
    Day 3. Drove to Bend for some more food and booze and then to the Cascades Lakes Highway. We camped a couple of days at Hosmer Lake which is a popular spot for canoeing, kayaking and fly fishing. It is a realy neat lake with Brookies and Atlantic Salmon cruising around the laberynth of marsh channels. Caught several wiley Atlantics with small light colored may fly patterns. Did not hook any Brookies but a good time was had by all at this idylic lake with Mt Bachelor in the backdrop.
    View attachment 32769 View attachment 32744 View attachment 32750 View attachment 32763 View attachment 32756 View attachment 32754
    Day 5. Drove back to Bend and spent the night at a Hotel for hot shower and meal out.
    Day 6. Drove to Camp Sherman on the Metolius River and hiked to the source spring as well as the larger spring in the Canyon section of the river. Fished several spots near camp but was skunked like most who fish this challenging river. Did not have time to fish "Dolly Hole" near the Hatchery but met one guy who had done well.
    View attachment 32745 View attachment 32760 View attachment 32758 View attachment 32761 View attachment 32767
    Day 8. Started working our way back home and drove north to Olallie Lake which is a large Alpine lake at 5000 feet. The resort which changed hands two years ago is being renovated so there was no water, ice, or garbage receptacles. The lake is stocked with rainbows and they were plentiful despite evidence of heavy fisheman harvesting (lots of heads and entrails thrown in the shallow water off of the camp sites). Fished dries, nymphs and wooly buggers with no sucess but did very well with a muddler/streamer pattern. Caught many fish over 2 days mostly trolling with a full sink line from my kayak. Very nice lake with Mt Jefferson in the background. My only gripe was the mosquitoes where insane. My son got bit so much one of his eyes got swollen shut. Spent alot of time paddling as the bugs where not bad on the water. Never seen so many newts/salamanders as I saw along the shorelines of this lake.
    View attachment 32747 View attachment 32753 View attachment 32765 View attachment 32755 View attachment 32757 View attachment 32749 View attachment 32746 View attachment 32751
    Day 10. Drove north to Sandy and then worked our way to Yakima and back to Seattle. Saw some "flying saucer" clouds over the Columbia.
    View attachment 32762

Had a great trip and look forward to making it back to Central Oregon soon.

Thomas

gator1954 likes this.
  2. Diehard

Diehard aka Justin

Media:
    Sounds like a great trip!

3. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Media:
    Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    I love that country too, need to get back there.

4. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

There is some great smallmouth fishing in the Deschutes this time of year, sound like you all had a great time. Thanks for sharing.

5. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Looks just great!
    Thanks for taking us with you (pics).

6. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Good trip, thanks for the memories.