Central WA treasure from the deep

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by troutpocket, Jun 30, 2014.

1. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Ira and I got out over the weekend to see what was happening in the shallows of some mixed-species and warmwater lakes. Found some consistent action on yellow perch and smallies. Nothing huge, unless you count Moby Perch that inhaled Ira's leech on Friday evening.

The big excitement was the Budweiser pillow case we hauled off the bottom the lake around a pile of submerged boulders that looked like smallmouth territory. In twenty years of fly fishing, I've only caught one of these:

Budweiser.JPG

2. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Man, that would go PERFECT with my comforter! Now...how to convince the wife to go for it....

3. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

I thought for sure you'd be a PBR guy.........

Luke77 likes this.
  4. aimacart

aimacart Member

Nice catch

5. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

Well man, "You've said it all".

6. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Lucky!

7. para_adams

para_adams Active Member

Hey, that matches the intact six pack of Bud I once caught with a deeply fished fly in a lake. Ron

8. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

You deserve a sticker.

9. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    That was quite a trip!

We originally planned to hit Grimes but as we were driving by Lenore we started talking about some of the other lakes in the area and Park came up and then last second we said what the heck, let's give it a try.

We launched at the South end and then looked for the edge of the shoal and the deep water. The lake dropped quick into 40 + feet of water, but it didn't take us long to start moving up into 20'-12'. We were trolling our full sinks just looking for potential takers and even though we would mark the occasional fish we didn't get bit until we moved up into about 8'. Once there trout hit a fish right away and even though we were hoping for trout, it ended up being a fairly nice perch. We locked that away in our heads and then moved out and anchored up in 15' all the way out to 25' of water but we never touched a fish. We were about to bail, but as we were trolling in I decided to steer the boat into the shallows again because I didn't fell like leaving the lake skunked. Once in the shallows I cut the engine and started to make some casts with my Aqualux and immediately started hooking up on perch. After that we anchored in shallow and proceeded to forget about trout and we just kept catching perch and the occasional Pumpkin Seed. We never left except to move around and explore some other areas of the lake.

We did pick pick up two trout eventually, one recent fry plant (smallest goes to Ira!) and one 12" or so. We also found some niceish smallmouth right were you would expect to find them near rocks.

I think our best bite of the day though came later when we marked fish in the 11' zone. That's were we started to pick up some nicer perch including the one leviathan I picked up.

The real fun came on the way home though when I blew a trailer tire. Ask me about the strength a nylon strap.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  10. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I want to hit Blue lake right next door.

11. dp

dp ~El Pescador

I was on Blue Lake this past weekend as well. We stayed on the north end at Coulee Lodge Report (annual Dad/Kid trip)
    I got out Sunday and fished the drop off from my v-boat and hooked perch on almost every cast for about an hour or so. Nothing big but plenty of action. Got one small smallie too.
    Everything on a back/grey bugger stripping an intermediate line. Got a nice RB at Rocky that morning too.

Jeff Dodd and Irafly like this.