.... ceramic bobbins.....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by nicoldrysdale, Aug 26, 2002.

1. hey

I've been using an inexpensive non ceramic bobbin for years. It's got a flare at the top end but no flare at the bottom. But I've been fraying a lot more thread lately so i need to replace it.
    I was thinking of replacing it with either a bobbin that was flared at both ends or a ceramic one; do ceramic bobbins decrease fraying or are they they just theoretically better? Anyone had luck with the double flare bobbins that don't have ceramic?

By the way what kind of thread is being used out there?. I prefer silk that i got in Montreal but it's tough to find now. I use 6/0 Uni and Danville but i find both of these threads very weak compared to Guderod - but the colour of the Guderod is duller.

Cheers

nic

2. I was having the same problem with a cheap bobbin that I had. I bought a ceramic one and have not had any problems with thread breakage since. I think it is a Griffin, about $11. I think it was a good investment.

3. I've got two ceramic bobbins ( i think they are Tiemco) and they work great although that is all I have ever tied with. I am using them with Danvillle waxed uni in 3/0, 6/0 and 8/0 also floss and even light yarn for tying coal cars and signal lights etc.

I dont have a problem with fraying thread except for the floss but I think that is more about the tread that the bobbin.

4. I've not used ceramic and have not had an issue with fraying on my metal bobbin yet, but just watched Lefty's salwater tying video and he likes them because the wax does not buildup - his 2 cents worth.

5. You might try bending the nose portion of the bobbin so the thread comes off the spool straight into the nose. Good luck :BIGSMILE

6. Sorry I wasn't very clear on how to bend the bobbin. Actually you bend the legs of the bobbin between the tube and the spool. This causes the tube asssembly to tilt over and hopefully match the angle of the thread coming off the spool.
    Have you tried a thread called Nymo? It is used to string beads and can be found in bead shops. The thread is a monocord or untwisted nylon which lays flat on the hook shank. Sizes range from "000" on up. Colors are limited, but I use white and color the last few inches to get the head color of choice. It comes on small paper rolls and one roll will fill the average spool. Cost is about 70 cents a roll. I get mine at Donna's bead shop next to John's Sporting Good's in Everett. :HAPPY

7. Thanks for the responses

i've sent all of you a site that's got cool info on the topic.

cheers

nic

8. Off subject FYI: having lost my bobbin threader I just learned a new way to thread it painlessly - poke the thread up a little, have a few inches of slack of the bobbin, and suck on the end like a straw - works like magic!

JimW

9. Yumm!

I will have to try that some time soon. It sounds so tasty! :YUM :CLOWN

10. Thats how i've always done it...I've never even used a threader