Chappie

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jack Devlin, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Zen Leecher aka Bill W mentioned the CHAPPIE in another thread. Gave me the idea to tie one up.
    Good cutthroat and steelhead (spey version) fly.
    Jack View attachment 26916

2. Mine back in 1975 sure didn't look that pretty.

3. Nice one Jack!!!!

4. Jack,

Please don't take this the wrong way. Although this is a very excellently tied fly, it isn't tied as a spey fly. Spey flies have palmered hackle that is longer than the hook barb (at least the rearmost turn is and your fly only has a hackle collar. Spey flies also have tented wings, whether hackle tips, goose, or bronze mallard, yours doesn't have a tented wing. Spey flies also have wings that are never longer than the hook bend with the best spey fly tyers of old and currently having the wings end somewhere between the end of the body and the mid-point of the distance between the hook barb and bend. Your fly has the wing a long longer than the hook bend.

I know there are many who don't really know what a spey fly should look like or what its characteristics are. However, a spey fly really is a very distinct type of fly, just like a Wulff Dry Fly is a very distinct typ and an Elk Hair Caddis is another distinct type.

Like I said, this is an excellently tied fly. It just isn't a spey fly.

5. FT
    Never said it was a spey fly. Only said it was a good cutthroat fly and a good steelhead fly in the spey version.
    The one I posted is my take on a Chappie.
    Jack

6. Great FLY!!! This is The first fly I tie on when I don't notice a hatch. Never tried it as a spey......... but just maybe

7. If I can this weekend, I plan to make a few in the more traditional cutthroat style on a mustad 3906 hook.
    If I remember correctly, the spey version is a good summer run pattern.
    Jack

8. This CHAPPIE is tied (more or less) the way the originator, Outdoor Franklin, intended. Wool body. The original was ribbed with orange silk or gold tinsel. In this case, I just used orange thread.
    Jack IMG_1170.jpeg

Olive bugger and Jim Wallace like this.
  9. Nice ties! I can't believe that I don't have any of those in my box.

For a similar pattern with green body, I like the Grizzly King.

However, I need to tie beach fishing and lake flies right now. The flies I'll need later for the coastal cutts in my local tidal creeks won't hit the top of my list for another couple of months.

10. Jim,
    Your'e talking my kind of flies. Grew up with the Grizzly King. Any fly tied on a Mustad 3906 or 3906B was a favorite of mine.

Jack

Attached Files:

11. Love the look of this version Jack, it will definately be in my summer fly box.

Jack Devlin likes this.
  12. Jack Devlin likes this.
  13. Robert,
    I have seen that version. No doubt it is a killer. I often wondered about bead head flies: is it the beads color, shine etc. which attracts the fish or is it just the weight of the bead that gets the fly down which makes them so effective???? Perhaps a combination.
    Anyway, that is a nice one.
    Jack

Robert Engleheart likes this.
  14. Hi Chris.
    Somewhere, I've seen the Chappie in a spey version. Must be in a book I have. Be nice to tie a spey version.
    Jack

15. Jack,
    Most of the upper Trinity is small, 300-500 CFS, increasing slightly to 900-1000 CFS at the North Fork. Consequently, a lot of SH rods with floating lines or Scandi's if using the 2H'ders. Bead gives it just enough to get in the zone.

16. I have in hand a copy of the Inland Empire Fly Fishing Club's publication copyrighted in 1982. On page 52 is a picture of the Chappie fly, tied with orange wool body and ribbed with orange silk thread.

Recipe calls for:

Hook size 12 through 2
    (I would imagine larger size for steelhead.)
    TAIL Tips of two long, narrow grizzly hackles
    tied face to face.

BODY Orange wool, ribbed with orange silk
    thread or gold tinsel

THROAT Grizzly tied on as collar
    (Shown as sparce and moderate)

WING Tips of two long narrow grizzly hackles,
    back to back and high off hook.

Credit was given to C. L. (Outdoor) Franklin of Los Angles as the originator

This fly is not a bright as Jack's fly above and the neck hackle is a tad shorter, otherwise it is the same. Nice tie, Jack.

Jack Devlin likes this.
  17. Olivebugger,
    Thanks for that.
    The only picture of Franklin's Chappie that I have is in Trey Comb's "Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies" bottom of Plate V. Colors do look a bit muted in the Plate but the overall quality of the photos is not so hot. Also, my cell camera doesn't handle my lighting well.
    I think what makes Franklin's fly unique is the high wing and long tail. Simple pattern which I think will work on cutthroat. I've tied up six of them and will give em a try.
    Jack
    IMG_1187.jpeg

Bob Triggs likes this.
  18. I wish I had the talent and equipement to post the picture of the fly in my book. I think I might try this one out this summer in some of the planted lakes. First of all, I have to cut my grass though. :D

Bob Triggs likes this.