Chasing Rainbows, an end of summer TR

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by ak_powder_monkey, Aug 29, 2007.

1. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    It comes to pass every August that the last rainbow will be caught and the last grayling will rise, to my fly anyway. Here in Alaska trout know borders unlike their bretheren south of the second border south, stocking trucks don't roll to every little drainage and mountain bounderies actually mean something. The trout don't leave but I do. From a birch forest to a rainforest of hemlock and sitka spruce. Moose don't dominate the woods but bears and deer and O. Mykiss makes an all but too breif apperence in the streams returning for a month to spawn. Replacing O Mykiss is O Clarki clarki, aka the coastal cutthroat trout, along with its char counterpart the dolly vardern there is little room for rainbows. Alas the journey is half the adventure, and like geese moving sound I must as well, a new beggining awaits. Before I leave I stop to enjoy my favorite fish, the rainbow trout, with my friends who make the southward migration as well.

When on a trout stream you see things and adapt, on this day I saw a rise out of the corner of my eye. In this part of the world a rising fish is rare but when it happens the fish is sure to eat on top. Switching from my egg patter to a humpy yeilded 3 hurried take, in typical grayling fashion the fish missed twice and ate on the third.
    [​IMG]
    Grayling are a true gem of a fish, sure they fight like wet socks that kind of wiggle, but they hit dry flies and match colors with any fish of the north.
    [​IMG]
    Sometimes when things all come together the teacher and the taught connect, and two friends find themselves in trout bliss
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In late august in Alaska the rule seems to be eggs or flesh, leaving nothing to the fish giving them no chance to eat the abundant food of the river, it is at these times that fish will connect with those who make the extra effort and fish the wrong fly at the wrong time in the right place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As I travel I move out of the realm of the rainbow and into the inteior rivers where the grayling and whitefish are chased by the pike and lake trout. I stop at one of these rivers on my southward journey (in ALaska you must go north before you can head south) My companion and I fish delicate dries to delicate fish, my the student of the rainbow now being the teacher of the grayling.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For the begginer there is no greater thrill than watching a fish take a fly on the surface, and for the expert there is none greater than watching the begginer be thrilled
    [​IMG]

As one travels one must remember to appreciate the land that flies by his window, here is my tribute to it.
    The great Gorge of theMatanuska
    [​IMG]
    Frog Pond with Rainbow
    [​IMG]
    The mighty Copper
    [​IMG]
    Sunset on the poplar
    [​IMG]
    Doubled up
    [​IMG]
    Eclipse 1
    [​IMG]
    Eclipse 2
    [​IMG]
    When we reach our destination, we can sit back relax and enjoy the show
    [​IMG]

2. Bonefish Jack

Bonefish Jack Strictly FF

Great pics, as always. One question, though: In the picture of the "beginner" with the grayling, is the beginner wearing anything beneath those chest waders? :eek:

3. mozart

mozart Chris

Everytime I see your posts I grow even more jealous. One of these days i'll get a chance to take a road trip to Alaska for a while. Great pics and storyline as always!

4. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

5. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    great pics and beautiful country

6. greyghost

greyghost Member

Media:
    Love the aurora borealis shot and the B&W of the Valley. I'm on my way up in 10 days, can't wait for rotting salmon, bears, hungry rainbows and dollies.

Pete

7. Diehard

Diehard aka Justin

Media:
    Nice pics!

8. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    Great Mantanuska shot! Makes me homesick.

9. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Media:
    Well done as always.
    Thanks for sharing.

10. Dan Cuomo

Dan Cuomo Active Member

Powder,

As a hardcore skier and fly fisher for over forty years, I veiw you post wtih a mixture of appreciation and envy. Clearly you are a man of refined tastes; a man who knows quality when he sees it. Such is evident in you choices of sports and made even more so by your choice of residence; AK.

I'll chalk up your choice in headgear to an accident of geography - born too close to Boston - or to the fact that you stole that hat from a homeless person who does not follow baseball. Red Sox!!!! LOL

Sorry Pow. As a Yankees fan for over fifty years - I turn fifty one this month -I couldn't resist. I'm just jealous about where you get to live and the fact that your team won the Series when last they met my team. You must admit, however, we handed your boys their lunch three-out-of-three last week.

Thanks a lot for the great post, I too loved to watch Ted Williams and Yaz, Dan

11. ak_powder_monkey

Media:
    Actually I was born and bred in Alaska my dad was from Haverville Mass however...

12. Dan Cuomo

Dan Cuomo Active Member

Given the fact that you are a legacy, following a long family tradition, your choice of team is understood. When we lived in RI, my son I went to the games and even rooted for the Paw Sox. Saw Trot Nixon play a bunch of times. Don't tell anyone.

Great pics always. Thanks.

13. ak_powder_monkey

Media:
    Being a redsox fan: Its genetic

14. Ron Snyder

Ron Snyder New Member

Awesome photos! I'm in the market for a new digital camera. Can you tell me what you're using? I'm making the switch from my beloved Leica M6. Thanks!