Chenille Tip

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by GAT, Apr 23, 2013.

1. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,709 / 0
    I don't know about anyone else but I've found there are two techniques for attaching chenille to the hook shank. You can tie-in the chenille as-is... unfortunately, this causes a hump when you wind the chenille forward. To counter this, you can tie-in the butt end of the chenille the full length of the hook shank but this makes for a fat body.

I prefer stripping away the fuzz at the butt end so a small amount of core remains. I then tie-in with the core... this prevents a bump and a fat body. I have been using my teeth to do this and that isn't always sanitary. I started thinking about it and wondered if wire strippers would work.

The ones I have in the shop are made for larger wire so small chenille wouldn't strip. I searched Amazon. com and found these little guys that are made for smaller wires. They are automatic so it takes a couple of pulls to remove all the fuzz but they work. They even work on the very fine, Magic Dub type of chenille:

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg
  2. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +792 / 0
    Whassa matter, Gene? Ain't ya got fingernails?
    D
    Olive bugger likes this.
  3. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    No... actually they are not long enough to pull off the fuzz.
  4. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +395 / 0
    Hey Gene, thanks for the tip and taking the time to explain and photograph the tool.
  5. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    been pulling fuzz from chenille with fingernails since 1981. ;)

that was one of the tips in my first tying lesson

i'd bet even a wire stripper would work

[IMG]
  6. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +249 / 1
    The technique of stripping materials to their core to achieve a smooth tie in also works well for tinsel. Lets say you have fly with a flat tinsel body and an overwrap of oval tinsel. You can't hide the oval tinsel under the flat tinsel body so you strip the oval tinsel down to its fiber core to tie it in but I wouldn't recommend teeth or wire strippers to strip tinsel.

TC
  7. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Norm, those won't work. I tried that style and the smallest stripper hole is too large.

I didn't know oval tinsel had a core... of course I don't normally use tinsel so I'm not that much up on the material. I've found wire works better for ribbing fishing flies. Tinsel is too weenie :)
  8. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    wow! even the smallest hole wouldnt work? back to the drawing board!

yes you can hide oval or round tinsel under a flat tinsel body

when i tie a flat tinsel body ribbed with oval or round tinsel (or wire), i tie in the oval behind the eye and wrap over that with tying thread to the bend and spiral wrap the thread back to the eye of the hook. now i will tie in the flat tinsel behind the hook eye and wrap the flat tinsel to the hook bend and return wrap the flat tinsel back to the hook eye to cover any gaps in the first layer of flat tinsel. then i'll wrap the oval or round tinsel rib. no bumps in the body.

or this way http://www.ronnlucassr.com/lesson3.htm
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  9. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    On the rare times I use flat tinsel for the body, I do the same. Tie-in behind the the hook eye, wind back, reverse, then wind forward.

You can do the same with chenille but like I said, you may end up with a body much fatter than you're after.
  10. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    gene

thank god my dentist doesnt have a tool like that :eek:
  11. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    He does... they just hide them...:D

It works really slick and was inexpensive. Wish I would have thought of it years ago.