Chico Creek Reports

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by South Sound, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,325 / 9
    Jeff, I'd honestly say 30 maybe 40 when really busy. The flats are the refuge of those seeking space. There is not much bank, but it gets packed.
  2. Mike S New Member

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I was there today as well, 7AM to 1PM. Nothing unless you wanted to snag or floss the battered fish in the creek.

I worked the flats and parts of the creek, chum candy, purple, pink. Nothing.

Now Friday was another story..... I landed my first! Bright silver and fresh from the ocean.

Mike
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Well done Mike S. I have seen what I believe to be acrobatic silvers in the estuary and a few mixed in the last holding pool before the creek. Good to see them there. Was it native or a dazed and confused hatchery fish that should have been elsewhere?
  4. masu73 Member

Seattle, WA
    Fished the flats in the bay yesterday from 8-11 am. Saw about 40-50 people out there. Only saw a few fish circling the bay. Saw two gear guys in the creek foul hook two moldy chum. They were so proud one of them was holding it up and showing it off to us as we were heading back to the car.

Heard that Fri during the storm hundreds of fish pushed through the creek. Hopefully the chum fishing gets better later this season.
  5. Rev Trout Rev Trout

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Thinking of taking my son to Chico Tuesday. Any chance the water will clear (is that the problem?) or should I head for Hoodsport for some combat fishing? I'm driving from Yakima & I want to give him a fair chance at a fish or two -- we only have the one day to do it. Last year at Chico was great.

Thanks!
  6. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Reverend, I'm no expert, but it seems that with the better weather late Sunday and most of today Tuesday could be decent to try. There is a storm coming, actually two, a minor warmup then one that is supposed to be significant rainfall and associated winds. That cycle should begin Tuesday and proceed through late Wednesday or Thursday. It might be pleasant for the weekend but the damage could be done by then.
  7. Rev Trout Rev Trout

Yakima, WA
    Thanks for the info Mumbles. I think we'll give Chico a try tomorrow.
  8. Tony Tony

Lynnwood Wa
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    Sun. the clarity was much better and it cleared even more while I was there, the fishing was pretty sucky though, alot of fish moving around in the morning but I only saw 1 hookup, a guy in a boat out in the deeper water, I caught nothing and that seemed to be the story for everyelse alot of people came and left without any love, the fish just weren't aggressive hopfully this will improve.
    tony
  9. Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Lakewood,Wa.
    Hey Rev Trout,

Where you down at the Hoh River back in March with your son?
  10. Rev Trout Rev Trout

Yakima, WA
    I’ve never had the pleasure to fish the Hoh. Like to some day.
  11. Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Lakewood,Wa.
    You looked like the person I shared a camp fire with and he was from your area.
  12. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    There has been a mysterious Mr. E posting, where on earth has this gentleman been? I've been searching for him on his purple X rocks, nothing. He seems to have slipped out of the GPS tracking device and the lo-jack installed on his rig is also malfunctioning. It is good to see him chewing on that flyrod in his avatar again!
  13. 1morecast Active Member

Port Angeles
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    Fished yesterday from 730-1130. Hooked two fish in the first half hour. Just plain lost the first one, the second one straightened out my sz. 6 hook. Fish were moving around till around 10am, then it just dyed..
  14. SeanM member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I was at a spot this weekend where a guy with a B-I-G clouser minnow - size 1 or 2 hook using some kind of bright chartreuse yarn or 'bou was killing them.
    I can't be sure of the size, but it had be pretty big - way bigger than other clousers you would normally tie for SRC's.

I didn't get the greatest look at his fly but I was standing close enough to get an eye on the fly in the mouth of the chum as he was trying to un-hook them. I didn't ask him about the material he used, but that's what it looked like to me. (Wished I had now).

He was taking them at a creek mouth that fed right into the salt and was in no more than 2 feet of water.

He was out fishing the gear guys easily 2-to-1.

Dumb question, but has anyone tried a pattern using the "corkie" yarn clouser minnow imitation for these chums?
  15. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    He was out fishing the gear guys easily 2-to-1.

Dumb question, but has anyone tried a pattern using the "corkie" yarn clouser minnow imitation for these chums?[/QUOTE]

Betcha' he was using that "ultra bite" sauce too on those "corke yarn clousers" ... hmm, that sounds like a good idea?..
  16. SeanM member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I didn't see him adding stuff to his clouser, but I could be wrong.

Never heard of "ultra bite sauce". Sounds more like something we would use as alternative to BBQ sauce....(now with low MSG!) :rofl:
  17. wolverine Member

Everett, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    If he was using "Ultra Bite" you and everyone there would have smelled it. That has to be the foulest smelling stuff out there. A friend spilled some on his Simms waders 3 years ago and we still make him put them in taped shut garbage bags before we let him put them in our vehicles.
  18. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Quick stop at CC today, tide was pretty low and moving in slightly during my brief stop. Not many anglers of any ilk, not many fish seen, but some. Water was pretty clear and no significant change in the structure that I could see. No fish for me, but I decided early that I was too busy to linger and ended up wanting food more than fishing. Sorry to be such a puss, but I was hungry.
  19. SeaRun Fanatic Member

Northwest, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Don't feel bad dude... creek mouth... 2 ft of water... those fish were FLOSSED. :eek:
  20. FlyOnThe Beach New Member

Bonney Lake, WA
    Went yesterday 11-15-08. There were about 15 gear guys and just me and the two I brought FF. We caught a few. The fish where pretty fleshy looking and there where not that many of them. Got there late and was fishing the outgoing tide. Horrible I know but was the only time I had. The gear guys weren't catching anything and decided ro throw in the same spot as us and cross the river to throw in there too. Had lead and cork thrown over and tangled my fly line twice in fifteen minutes. Left in frustration. Going to a few other non-popular spots next time