Chico creek update

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Josh Smestad, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Bremerton, Wa
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    I was cutt fishing up @ my honey hole in the creek yesterday and saw a few early chum that must have just came up with the recent rain. I stopped by the beach access but didn't see anything rolling. I got my "permission slip" from the landowner to access the beach while I was there. So far I was #29 on his list for the year. He gives you a little "pass" good through 2007. Hope to see you all out there in the coming weeks! :beer2:
  2. Luke Filmer Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I also found Chum & Coho near one of my favorite south sound estuaries today. The coho were coming up in small schools - dime bright & willing to take the fly!

The chum were in small schools as well and normally show up in the hundreds by mid month however the chum were not willing to bite yet. Seems like they get more aggressive in larger numbers.
    Let's hope they stay in the salt another 2-3 weeks !
  3. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    any new reports from chico?
  4. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Another week or two, and I'm counting. I drive by it everyday and nothing seen, yet... If we have a BIG rain next week, it might just be that week...
  5. softhackle New Member

Silverdale, WA
    I'm thinking about hitting Chico Bay in my kayak when the chums get in. I've heard that the chums (and any salmon for that matter) are hard to fish when they school up in the esturaries. My gameplan is to throw something chartuese and hope for the best. Any suggestions from you veteran chum anglers?
  6. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I have never seen it tough to hook chum salmon at the Chico Creek estuary flat. Also, in spite of the obvious crowding that will occur, I've found the anglers who fish there to be a pretty civilized bunch., whether they are tossing flies or hardware.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson
  7. softhackle New Member

Silverdale, WA
    Les,

I plan on fishing out of my kayak to avoid some of the crowds. I'll probably hang back and fish a little farther out. Do you have any experience fishing from a boat in Chico bay? Is it really an advantage or will I have better luck wading the flats? I guess I can do both since it's super easy to enter/exit my yak.
  8. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I was fishing some years back with my wife Carol at Hoodsport. We were in our pontoon boats, anchored away from the crowd. Carol hooked up a real big chum buck that started pulling line like crazy. Carol snubbed down to break it off but instead the little anchor pulled free of the bottom and she was off on a mini-Nantucket sleigh ride. I headed her off . She had worked the the chum in close about the time I caught up. We managed to release the chum with neither it, or Carol worse for wear.
    So, if you take your kayak, keep your tippet strength strong enough to handle a major chum salmon but light enough to break it off.
  9. polepole New Member

Seattle, WA
    Oh yes! Time to gear up for the fall kayak chums. softhackle, where are you launching from to hit Chico flats? Have never fished that area from my yak, but would love to give it a go.

Les, why do you want to break off a chum? Enjoy the sleigh ride!!!

-Allen
  10. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Couple reason to have to break the fish off when fishing from a kayak.
    1. The fish is heading into all the guys fishing from the beach. Who want to get involved with untangling all those lines when there more fish to catch.
    2. The fish is snagged in the side or tail. Any true sports person always tries to break those fish loose without a fight.
    3. The fish is taking you into any type of danger such as out in front of a ship or ferry as an example. Also could happen in the #1 listed reason.
    4. You plan to release the fish unharmed and the battle starts to take to long.
    5. A seal is taking a strong interest in the fish at the end of your line.
    6. You are afraid the fish is taking you for a sleigh ride that is farther then you can row back.
  11. polepole New Member

Seattle, WA
    I was being slightly facetious and kind of knew what the answer would be.

BTW, I've caught large king salmon off a kayak. They may pull you a little towards somewhere you didn't want to go, but not for long. If you're fishing really close to the shore crowds I could see it being problematic, but why fish there? Just put the wood to them without intentionally trying to break off. Something will give, and more often than not, it's the fish.

I personally would not want to potentially leave a fish with a couple feet of leader trailing behind them and will do whatever I can to try to avoid that.

-Allen
  12. softhackle New Member

Silverdale, WA
    PolePole,

There is a boat launch adjacent to the flats. It's off of Chico Way but I can't remember the side street that it's on. I launched from there earlier this summer just to scout the area out a little. It's a perfect place to kayak. I might head out there this weekend just to see if there are any early chums hanging around or maybe some silvers. I've also thought about kayaking/fishing in the silverdale area near the mouth of Clear Creek. I would assume there will be some silvers hanging around waiting to push up into the creek. Has anyone ever fished near the mouth of Clear Creek?
  13. Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Bremerton, Wa
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    Softhackle, you might also try Barker creek out of Tracyton if you're in the area. It still is a bit early though..
  14. ewhitaker75 Member

North Ellensburg
    It's Chico Beach Drive, just past the wrecking yard if you are heading south on Chico Way. I grew up about 2 blocks from it. There is an espresso stand there too to warm you up after a hard day of chasing chum. Be careful there isn't a strong north wind blowing or you will be hating life on the return trip.
  15. Zach M Because I floss so hard

Gig Harbor Washington
    ok i went to chico last year and didnt see or catch a thing. if i want to go whats the time of year i should go.? thanks
  16. softhackle New Member

Silverdale, WA
    Took the kayak out Saturday morning and cruised around the bay but didn't see a single fish. Must be too early. I did see a curious seal that would swim right under my kayak. Pretty cool.