Chico Creek

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by tahuyamg, Nov 4, 2009.

1. tahuyamg tahuyamg

not sure
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    I want to give A and K Shellfish and the Poggie Club two thumbs up and a 0 out of 10 on the placement of the new shit house at Chico Creek. The Porta Potty could not have been put in a better spot. Did anyone think how easily it could dump all it's raw sewage into the creek. If someone where to hit that with their vehicle the whole shitter would end up in the creek, right into the main pool below the culvert. If the creek flooded like it did in Dec of 2007 the bathroom would end up somewhere by the Bremerton Yacht Club. Plus it was put right on top (not near) the trailhead going down to the estuary. I couldn't see the county saying it was ok to put it where it is? It's not that hard to figure out... Well I guess for some, it is.
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,359 / 9
    Where did everyone piss and shit when the porta potty was not there? No where below the street level is out of the flood plain. It is far more plausible for the crapper to wash away down below than where it is. You are spot on about being hit by a vehicle though. I guess you get what you pay for.

Did you see and/or catch any fish or did the sight of the plastic outhouse turn you away from your trip intention?
  3. tahuyamg tahuyamg

not sure
    I'm not sure where everyone else went but I knew that was an issue before I got there, so made adjustments. Putting the shitter down lower is an even worse idea. I never implied that it should be put down there. There is room in a few spots on the other side of the road on either side of the creek it could go, where it would be father away from the creek. Even the biologist who frequents there a lot agreed it was in a very bad location. In fact, he pointed out a spot where Johnny Crapper would be better . His idea- get a bunch of people together pick up Johnny and move him across the street to what he thought was a more eco friendly location.
  4. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,623 / 2
    I thought the same thing when I used it this morning. Hopefully the genius behind its placement realizes it should be moved
  5. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +411 / 0
    this reads like an M.P.H. report :rofl:
  6. tahuyamg tahuyamg

not sure
    The reason I blame A and K Shellfish- well they left a note posted on the side of the shitter and inside saying they were the providers. The Poggie Club I blame because I was down there the morning the shitter was being put in and two members from the Poggie Club were trying without much success to level the thing.
  7. tahuyamg tahuyamg

not sure
    Oh and Mumbles it's like surfing (even a crowded spot) unless you were out w/ me you'd never know? I have one person I fly fish with who I might actually call and give a report too- and I don't even like him that much. You Mumbles have a cavalry to call and I can't have that...
  8. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Fair enough Mark, keeping intel reports to ones self is to be respected. A majority of the time when I can get out to fish I'm by myself. I might run into other folks, but actually planning and fishing with them is a less frequent, yet highly enjoyed treat. I'm glad you got out, and I'm glad they've put a shitter at that overused location, even if they could have placed it in a better spot.
  9. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    Its nice that A and K Shellfish provided a crapper at
    that location. Those things are not cheap to rent and
    at least an effort was made. I'm glad you didn't give a
    report on this secret location. We don't want anyone
    finding out about that place.

Dave
  10. SteelieD Non Member

In a van down by the river
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Geez. Someone's a little crabby today. And it's not Mumbles.
  11. tahuyamg tahuyamg

not sure
    Yes I should stick to my original post, no reports, no politics. Someone picked a crappy location for the shitter...
  12. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +565 / 0
    What is Chico Creek? Never heard of it before.
  13. tahuyamg tahuyamg

not sure
    WHOA- WHOA- WHOA- I'm gonna chop this snake's head off right now. I never said, nor implied that chico creek was a secret frickin' location. You think this is the first season I've fished there? It was GoFish who first mentioned the two words "secret location". As mumbles said chico is an "overused location" and your exactly right there Mumbles. So when up I get up at the ass crack of dawn almost every day and drive to chico so I can get maybe a few epic sessions in by myself or w/ a few others in the season- I'm not going to blab about it. Especially when it is so popular and so easy to get too.
  14. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    I'm with you on the location Mark, no secret. I'm sure GoFish was joking. I agree with you, it is nice when you can find some quite time or solitude there. I've fished it many years and when those days happen that you are there earlier or later than everyone else it is a nice thing. Back to your origional post, I'm hoping it was a good outing for you.
  15. Steffan Brown ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    :rofl::rofl: Now that's some funny shit right there....Gut laughable for sure.
  16. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
  17. JayB Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +137 / 0
    I was there yesterday from about 1:00 to dark, and this morning from around 7:30-9:30.

The conditions were difficult yesterday - lots of wind and wave action stirring up sediment, very few fish caught despite the water literally being flayed into submission by something like 20 fishermen. I'd guess that 100 hours of casting resulted in maybe 5-6 fish being brought to shore.

Conditions were far better this morning, but very, very little success relative to all of the effort. Saw fly-guys get two fish on while I was there, and one hook-up/landing (maybe) while I was walking out.

Threw the kitchen sink at them and cast my arm out. Every color in the spectrum, weighted/unweighted, steady-strip to nearly dead-slow crawl. Even went to the ace in the hole - a pretty dead-on rendition of "The Precious" with the requisite peacock breast feathers - with a variety of retrieves that went straight through schools of fish. Nothing.

There were lots of oldsters out yesterday that presumable have at least a score of chum experience under their belts, and maybe one or two of them had more than one fish to show for their efforts. Most had none.

I'll plan on putting in another valiant effort next week, but for now there doesn't seem to be much in the way of feeding activity.

I'd say go there anyway, since at the very least your presence will push the dedicated practitioners of the Kitsap Snag-Stroke away from the schools of fish.

Also - might be worth keeping tabs on the land dispute there, since it sounds like the erstwhile shelfish magnate will probably eliminate wading access at the very least, which'd be bad news for anyone who doesn't own a boat or a lifetime supply of bottle rockets to get their line out to the fish at anything but maximum tide.
  18. Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Port Orchard, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Gee Jay where were you standing. I hooked up 4 between 3 and 4 pm. Not a snagger in the bunch. Agree about the wind. By 3:30 the wind was dying down and casting became easier. Of course between 11 and 3 pickings were really slim.

Mike
  19. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,623 / 2
    Mark and Jay: Perhaps I ran into one or both of you this morning. My buddy and I were both there until about 11:30am. Said buddy was the only (legitimately caught) landed fish I saw all morning. I hooked up to a hot, pissed off fish that broke me off. I've been out twice now with nothing to show for it. Things have definitely been tough
  20. JayB Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +137 / 0
    Mike/Doc:

I was on the river left side on the flats there - looked like most of the fish were on the flats on the right, but there had to be at least a dozen guys in a fairly tight semi-circle casting over there from really well staked out positions, so I decided I that I'd rather cross my fingers and hope that some fish would shift over to my side than try to elbow my way in. Congrats on all of the hook-ups - must have felt good to have the secret formula.

I'm sure that there were some hook-ups that I didn't notice on both days, but on the whole they looked pretty rare relative to all of the extremely concentrated casting effort going on.

This morning I saw one guy casting from a boat hook up, one guy wading hook-up as well, the gear guy next to me foul hook one or two (that he handled gently and released without removing them from the water - astonishing), and one guy with a fish on in the main channel where I left. Hopefully things improved for everyone later in the day.

Anyhow - I'm sure there were more fish caught than I realize, but the number of strikes has been mighty low - particularly relative to all of the pre-season talk dissing the fish for being easy quarry. The "lowly" chum is proving to be more than a match for me so far.