chico netting schedule.........?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by mr. bad example, Nov 7, 2010.

1. went to chico today thinking that it had rained hard last night and some fresh fish should have pushed in but what there was a literal wall of nets across the mouth of the estuary........does anyone know what the schedule is for netting ? or if there even is one.boring boring boring.

2. I was thinking of going to a tribal meeting. Anyone interested? Why in the world on this earth would a tribe want to destroy a NATIVE run of Chum? They plant plenty of other streams for chum returns, so why do they have to wipe out the most populated NATIVE RUN in the Puget Sound? The Chico fishery is now doomed. I'm serious. Too bad fly fishers. Too bad. That's why I started fishing "out of State". I am up for taking a group of fisherman to a tribal meeting. Not sure which tribe/s, but it's time we speak up instead of sitting on our asses. Surely they would listen to the concerns, right? .....

3. Larry, if you find out when (I suspect it is the Suquamish Tribe) they meet and if they will allow us to come and express concerns I'll try to join you. Very well stated my friend.

Does anyone know if they are netting Barker, Minter, Dogfish or other such locations?

4. Larry

Your idea has merit!

May I suggest a non-confrontational approach. I know you are passionate about your feelings but keep it toned down. Ask a series of questions to make your point and listen to the replies. In advesarial situations good questions will lead the other party to your perspective. They are more likely to respond in a possitive manner if they are led to believe that it is their idea!

Challenging treaty fishing rights and finger pointing will not accomplish anything. If it becomes confrontational your thoughts will be dismissed. They are a Nation and to get their attention you must give them that consideration. You may not like their sovereignty but regardless you need to recognise it and respect it if you want to make a change.

Dave

5. Thank you Dave.

6. So is the netting at Chico something new?

Don't remember seeing any last year, but stopped by there today and counted at least 13 different commercial boats, tending miles of nets.

Kind of makes fretting about the snaggers seem pointless when the entire estuary gets netted indiscriminately. Anyone know if they're actually using the meat for anything or is this still strictly an egg-stripping operation?

7. I heard that it is the Suquamish tribe that is netting. I also saw the boats and nets last week on 2 different days. The nets are placed across the entire width of the estuary so almost no fish can pass. I also did not notice the netters last year so I assumed it was something new. I agree that our concerns should be expressed to the tribe and the State. Does anyone know if the State / Fish and Wildlife has any influence/authority over this issue?

Dryflylarry, please let us know what you find out.

8. I believe that the state has an escapment goal set for chico and when it is met they then allow the nets to be set, its the same thing every year and it always seems to happen towards the end of the run, this year the fish started coming in very early in fact when I was there last week it was looking like the run was almost over, lots of zombies swimming around, most of oct. had fair numbers of fish making it up the creek so the dire predictions of this fishery being destroyed are unwarrented. I believe it was the tribes that were responsible for chico being the success that it is in the first place, due to their efforts a run that was almost totally destroyed was through stocking brought back until stocking was no longer neccesary and now the run is once again considered to be wild. I personally would be way more concerned and worried about the large amount of just blatent snagging that goes on there, I see alot more harm from slimeballs that just are there to snag and release the fish in the name of sport ( a rant I don't even want to start) than I do from the tribes so if people want to get up and get behind something perhaps your efforts would be better placed working towards some goal of getting the state to take action on this rather than being worried about the tribes, a continueing run thats a self substaining run is to their benefit and it has always seemed to me that it has been managed towards that goal, plus if you pay attention its through the tribes efforts that the culverts are being removed and the creek is in some ways being returned to a more natural habitat to benefit the fish and this just isn't salmon that it will help cutts will also benefit. So before people get all up in arms about the native people perhaps you might think about another thing and thats the gravel mining that going to be allowed right up the road in this water shed.
    tony

9. Thanks for that perspective Tony. These things usually have more than one worth considering.

10. What Tony said.......I completely agree, one of the people I talked with yesterday said that the escapement goal of 20,000 fish had been achieved.I was suprised that the run was already over so damn early and there had been a healthy return.

11. Tony,

I'm not sure about what you say about the tribes being responsible for the Chico Creek run. When and where did they enhance this creek in the past? If they released or planted eggs there in the past, then I agree with your point. Oh yes, "I pay attention". I'm aware of the tribes efforts on the culvert removal proposal, although I don't know if it's anything more than the lower culvert. I haven't followed that closely, but someone said they are also going to move the creek channel over more into the estuary portion. Is that true? I'm not so convinced removing that lower culvert is going to enhance that creek that much, but everything helps in the overall picture, that's for sure. Just don't see that as being that big a deal since the chum seem to make it above there quite well already. Seems like rechanneling the stream thru the estuary portion could do more harm than good, but perhaps not. It certainly would improve the "straight shot" out of the culvert under that road. There are just times when I feel that some tribes are "not as responsible" or "good stewards of the resource" as they say they are. Especially when they string the nets across the entire mouths of creeks. I still would like to know what the tribe did to enhance the run at Chico in the "past". Yeah, we all know about the snaggers. I understand there was a "big bust" a short time ago there.

12. Was over at Chico on 11/02 and talked to a couple of the tribal fishery members they said they were netting Tuesdays & Thursdays 8:00 AM to 4:00PM. We were there at 7:00 AM and they were already netting. The tribe bought all the land around Chico Creek so who knows if there be any access next year or not. I highly recommend fishing in BC,Oregon or Alaska.

13. Larry I was told by the previous land owner that the tribes had a stocking program at chico at one time this could be wrong its just something I was told but I have no reason to not believe that its probably true but then again its just something I was told perhaps you'll be able to find out if you go to the meeting, and as far as changing the stream bed I'm pretty sure this isn't going to happen if you search the web you can find lots of info on what plans are in the works and the ultimate goals of these plans are with pics and drawings, these plans have been in the works for quite a few years. I agree that at times it seems like there are problems with the tribes and whole good stewardship thing with alot of abuses in the past and probably more to come in the future but with that said you must admit that the tribes are not alone in this assessment we all as humans need some lessons in good stewardship. Finally, the state set the escapement goals and doesn't allow netting until it is reached and because I think netting is only allowed on a couple of days a week there really is no reason to believe that its really going to harm or really even cause any problems to what has already been a very healthy run, sure I know that on the days netting is allowed that the fishing really sucks and maybe even for a day after but in the long run I think the the only real harm done is to the sport fishery not the run itself fish are still getting through, this happens every year and every year I hear people complaining about how the fishing was great until the nets went up and every year it seems to come down to a us vs them issue and how "they" are abusing the fishery I find this to be pretty sad, I think theres alot of sayings pertaining to things like this you know the glass house thing or how about let he who is without sin throw the first stone. I see from your use of punctuation that perhaps you felt attacked by one of my comments which was not my intention I should have worded that differently, nothing in my replies are intended to be personal, not trying to flame anyone, just trying to make a point in a discussion.
    tony

14. Tony,

All good info, thanks. I got the impression from talking with some people that their nets were out everyday. My wrong. I can live with two days a week. Perhaps I pulled in on the wrong day. Ha. I know a lot of the tribes do good work, don't misunderstand me. I used to know the biologist with the Suquamish Tribe, not sure if he's still there, but was really a good guy for the tribe to have. I've had two poor experiences this year with other tribes that always get to me. And perhaps I should pursue going to their fisheries directors just to get some answers and/or write some letters. One thing that still drives me crazy is I believe they can still catch and kill cutthroat. (Someone tell me if I'm wrong--in the salt that is) It's the beach seining that drives me crazy when I am out cutthroat fishing and their nets are strung from the top of the beach on down thru the shallow water into the depths. Someone tell me if it is unreasonable to ask the tribes whether they can eliminate the beach seine net for the first 100-150' or so, so the cutthroat can swim along the beach shoreline and PERHAPS not get caught in their nets! Since it is "catch and release" for me, why isn't it so for the tribes? (except it's too late when in the nets). A few years ago, a tribe was netting like this and I also found out that they were suppose to be 1000' from the creek mouth. They were not. I called the tribe enforcement officer and he called me back and said he "busted" them for whatever that means. He was very polite. So, a couple of weeks ago, a tribe on the same beach was at the same location. I asked whether he was suppose to be 1000' from the creek mouth and he said no, it was changed to 600'. I have no idea if that is true or not. Or, if it depends on the tribe. This was the S'Klallam Tribe (if I spelled that right). Previously, it was the Skokomish Tribe. I can say my encounters were very good and polite conversations. Another case this Spring was fishing a catch and release lake. A tribe member and his buddies were killing trout. I asked about it to them and they said they are members of the tribe and those rules didn't apply to them. I think that was a lie, but I am not certain. I guess all I am saying is it sure doesn't hurt to have some conversations with people when you want to know if they are following the rules, sorta helps that they might think that there are actually people watching them to see if they are following tribal rules and regs.

15. Hi all, new to the thread. I used to fish out there alot in the late 80's. The coho in Dyes will stage in a different spot every year, sometimes in front of a 4 inch drain pipe, sometimes south of the Chico boat launch. I hope the few coho that came in this year avoid becoming bycatch. Also, the last legal netting I remember was around 1990. I also recall a doped up Erlands Pt guy getting caught by the tide, then by the law with his net out. Same family that was involved in clamscam. Sorry about the rambling, that area holds a place in my heart. Good luck with the mighty gators. And watch tout for the Silver Mist

16. The tribes make there own rules and decide on how they want to deal with tribal members caught poaching. As for the cuttroat it does not matter if they are a loud to keep them or not. When they are netting the beaches they are caught whether they are targeted or not and when a fish gets caught in a net survival is not likely. Netting is an out dated way of fishing that can no longer be used in puget sound with the fishes best interest. A fish that swims into a gill net is as good as dead whether it is a 22" sea run cutthroat, a wild steelhead, summer run chum or blackmouth in the salt, end of story. If the tribes cared about the fishery they would use a selective fishing technique like our fishing regulations tell us to do. ( Barbless hooks and release fish with an adipose fin)

17. It's been a couple of years since I last fished Chico Creek. Anyhow, you might find this interesting: http://wdfw.wa.gov/webmaps/salmonscape/sasi/full_stock_rpts/2251.pdf

18. Just an observation.... Be careful when putting all tribes in the same catagory. Like all of humanity there are good tribes and bad when it comes to conservation. That is why it is such a mess trying to get a consistant message regarding any conservation issues on the table. From my obsrevations, the Suquamish Tribe has been one of the leaders in habitat restoration. I am sure that Paul Dorn, fisheries director, would be happy to discuss the multitude of projects that they have completed in the on the west sound with anyone who is interested.