Chinook in Chile/Argentina. Old News?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JayB, Jan 8, 2014.

1. JayB

JayB Active Member

Media:
    I had a conversation with an anthropologist who spends a fair bit of time in Chile over the holidays, and heard that salmon from farming operations were "invading" the habitat in Tierra Del Fuego. I assumed that this was entirely Atlantic Salmon, but discovered that chinook from our very own Puget Sound were amongst the escapees, and by all accounts, were thriving and rapidly colonizing multiple river systems.

I wouldn't necessarily call this good news (sounds like it could potentially threaten penguin populations and who knows what else), but it's a pretty striking display of what can happen with zero "management" and the right kind of habitat.

Abstract: Anadromous salmonids have been particularly successful at establishing wild populations in southern Patagonia, in contrast to their limited success elsewhere outside their native ranges. The most recent such discovery is a spawning population of Chinook salmon in the Santa Cruz River, which flows into the Atlantic Ocean from Argentina. We used mitochondrial DNA analysis to discriminate between alternative potential sources of this population and were able to discard in situ introductions of fish imported directly from California in the early twentieth century. Our results showed that the fish most likely came from Puget Sound, Washington, imported into southern Chile for salmon-ranching experiments in the 1980s. This finding provides concrete evidence of colonization of Atlantic rivers from Pacific locations. The southern Pacific and Atlanticoceans provide a favorable marine environment for the success of invading salmon. In particular, the waters associated with fjords, southern channels, and the inshore portion of the Patagonian shelf provide a rather bounded, continuous waterway for exotic anadromous salmonids, rich in diverse forage species."
    http://www.biodiversity.cl/panel/library/arch/111111_Salmones.pdf

The invasion of Patagonia by Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha): inferences from mitochondrial DNA patterns.

Riva Rossi CM, Pascual MA, Aedo Marchant E, Basso N, Ciancio JE, Mezga B, Fernández DA, Ernst-Elizalde B.
    Author information
    Abstract

The Chinook salmon Oncorhynchus tshawytscha, which was introduced deliberately in Chile four decades ago for sport fishing and aquaculture, represents a rare example of a successful translocation of an anadromous Pacific salmon into the southern Hemisphere, offering a unique opportunity to examine the role of introduction history and genetic variability in invasion success. We used historical information and mitochondrial displacement loop sequences (D-loop) from seven colonized sites in Chile and Argentina and from native and naturalized Chinook salmon populations to determine population sources and to examine levels of genetic diversity associated with the invasion. The analysis revealed that the Chinook salmon invasion in Patagonia originated from multiple population sources from northwestern North America and New Zealand, and admixed in the invaded range generating genetically diverse populations. Genetic analyses further indicated that the colonization of new populations ahead of the invasion front appear to have occurred by noncontiguous dispersal. Dispersal patterns coincided with ocean circulation patterns dominated by the West Wind Drift and the Cape Horn Currents. We conclude that admixture following multiple introductions, as well as long-distance dispersal events may have facilitated the successful invasion and rapid dispersal of Chinook salmon into Patagonia.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23188114

Jamie Wilson and Whitey like this.
  2. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    Fukushima bro.

However, could be polar shift.

50/50.

3. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    There have been guides fishing over kings on South Americas for a number of years. I've never seen evidence of much size. But if 70# fish start showing up...i'm buying a ticket.

4. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    Chilean King on the swing from a couple weeks ago.
    [​IMG]

5. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    I think you should black out the fishes face too so his fish homies won't know it's him.

6. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Media:
    They have some size and I have seen larger in other pictures. I fished for them in 2002, but had no success. Did very well on the searun browns to 19 1/4 lbs. Also caught a few small atlantics.

29171021.jpg 7121_133464057262_132777537262_2676410_800735_n.jpg

7. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:

Nice!

8. those would put a bend in 5wt switch

9. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    Just use a sharpie on your screen - works better.

10. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

Shit......nice fish
    I've been hearing about this since around 2001

11. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    did anyone notice that other definition of D-loop, what a co-inki-dink

12. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

Years ago these fish were reported to be Cowlitz Chinook Springers in origin. Good to know they are thriving somewhere.

13. martyg

martyg Active Member

I've caught a number in the Futa system. IME they don't make it much past Lago Yelcho into the Futa before dispersing in feeder streams.

14. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Old news I think. I have heard Green R. genetics... don't know for sure, but the person who told me should know.

15. MDK

MDK Active Member

Interesting. I was a peace corps volunteer and lived in Pt. Montt Chile in 1976-78. At that time, the Japanese had had a chum hatchery in southern Chile for over 20 years and as of the late 1970's had no returns to their hatchery. The Univ. of WA had also been in the area and had released a number of salmon in the area with no returns. It was believed all the smolts got in the Humboldt Current and traveled north and then west towards the Galapagos and disappeared. The Humboldt current is not a circular current and thus the problem with anadromous runs in southern Chile. It was theorized that if the salmon were stocked further south in Tierra del Fuego they could get in the circular Antarctic current and thus return to their stream of origin. Looks like it worked. While I was there, they were just starting the fish farms and were using mostly coho salmon from Pacific Northwest.

16. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    I just sailed from Montevideo, Uruguay to talcahuano, chile and took the strait inside. Unreal landscapes and seemed fitting habitat for anadromous critters. Many open net salmon farms all along the southern reach. Quite a trip. Maybe next time I will fish.