Chiro colors

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by JMitchell, Feb 8, 2010.

1. I know that there are a gazillion different combos/sizes ect, but I thought I would post this to get some ideas of stepping out of my comfort zone.

My favorite hooks are the 200R # 12-14, 2457 for #16-18 and 5262 on occasion in 14-16.

My best color combos have been

1. black with red/silver rib with black/snowcone bead
    2. chromie in 12-14
    3. frostbite chiro with maroon frostbite and snowcone.

These are pretty much the only chiros I use all season. I am stocked up on these and was wanting some ideas on other sizes/hooks/color combos. Thanks for the input.

Jarron

Mark Yoshida likes this.
  2. You were correct, I think that there are over 2000 species of chironomids so trying to match them all is almost impossible. Randy Deifert ties a pattern using liquid lace and white thread. He ties in the liquid lace back to the hook bend (Size 14-12 scud hook of your choice) then wraps the white thread to the eye. Then using markers he colors the thread multiple colors to match all sorts of potential patterns. Then he wraps the liquid lace forward and ties it off. I use a black bead but he weights his with lead. And then of course some sort of gill at the top. This pattern is always unique and has been a great pattern for me.

I also tie size 14-12 with multiple colors and ribbings. Tans, browns, greens, olives, reds with silver, brass, copper, red ribbings. With a little of all of this I find I can pretty much match any chironomid pattern. Although I always carry some bombers in the 10-8 range as well with long shanked hooks. I rarely ever fish smaller and I don't find that it seems to matter that much.

Ira..

3. I don't think color matters that much... size and depth fished are worth more focus. Just my two cents..
    Brian Chan might have some good insight...

4. I would pretty much say that black and red covers most of what I catch fish on. I have tried others and fancier patterns with some, but limited success.

Wayne

5. I agree with B.A. Bare. While matching the colors of a particular chiro is fun and feels like you are matching the hatch, at the depths that you are usually fishing chiros, colors change because of the ability of different wavelengths to penetrate to the fly. Size, shape and depth are more important.

6. I like to stomach sample those fish that are in the feeding zone. Knowing that trout are lazy and opportunistic feeders, the presentation is the most vital thing, down the right knot that you're tying your Chirons. Tie them in chrome or go home... The added flash is perfect to attract a trouts attention when there is a serious hatch common off the mud interface.

7. whats the right knot??

8. loop knot. 100%

9. Hi Jarron,

Your list is definitely a good starting point. Areas I would consider bulking up on-
    1) Copper. Black body and copper rib is common in NW lakes. Patterns like the "Bronzie" from Rowley are staples. I carry a full spectrum of copper beaded and copper ribbed patterns and are often my most productive. Looking at throat samples you can clearly see the copper glow on some species and fish key in on this feature.
    2) Anti-static bag. There are days the fish are keying in on the gas bubble but a silver patterned Chromie is too much. The glistening gray effect you get from anti-static bag or gunmetal gray flashabou makes a huge difference. Fisherman who ignore this style have never seen one deployed on the right day :)
    3) Dark Brown. Dark brown looks like black to the casual eye, but fish notice the difference.
    4) Pattens with no beads. Popular lakes condition fish and having patterns that break the standard look everyone else is using is very helpful.

Having the right pattern increases our success exponentially. I think some fisherman feel content with a six fish day, not realizing a subtle change in size/color would have meant a twenty+ fish day.

All we can do is tie, tie, tie!

10. Color does matter. I fished with teh same size chirony and didn't get a bump, I then changed from gray to brown with gold head and started to nail them. They are picky. I agree with Yellow lab.

11. I'm cool with other folks thinking that color is not that important. They are right though depth is very very key and I will definitely play with depth before anything else, then location, then flies. Flies and color do matter though and having a variety has saved many a trip for me. What I haven't found is as important (but still occassionally is) is size.

Ira..

12. Dark green with red ribbing and tan with copper ribbing seem to work well. Presentation and depth are the most important thing.

Keith

13. I tie most of mine on Dai Riki 135's in size 10-16. I seem to get more fish hooked with the offset gap . . .but who knows?

14. Colors,size , depth do make a diff. I like size 18 or 20 black with White tungsten bead that I paint white myself or size 18/20 white beah and red body with copper rib. Killer at Nunnally or up at the twins in winthrop.

15. I think a lot of you are right about depth being the most important aspect. You can fish all the colors/sizes you want but if you aren't fishing at the depth the fish are holding at...not a good day.

I do think color and size are very important though. I can't tell you how many times I've done poorly with one style/color, switched and then five minutes later started getting some action.

I'm trying to become a more "complete" chiro fisher and be prepared for all situations. Mostly this is just an excuse to by more tying supplies and tie more.

Thanks again to all replies.

Jarron

16. I think we a all are trying to be complete fisherman. Even if we have fished our whole life. I learn something everytime I go out and think I have nailed it then I get my butt kicked and realized there is more to learn.

17. I thought size did not matter??? Oh wait, this might be the wrong forum :)

18. Sounds like more earth tones including brown/tan ect with copper ribbing need to be added to my box. Thanks to everyone who replied, you can never have enough sizes or colors! I haven't been tying many without beads, that is a good idea. Back to the bench.:thumb:

Jarron

19. Size does matter. For chiro's, thin is definitely the in thing. Sometimes straight hook ties out produce curved hook ties. Go figure on that one. My box contains over 500 but I found myself using only four or five patterns last year. Black w/ white bead, brown w/ black bead, root beer w/ copper bead, red w/ white bead, and another color combo I won't reveal. I find 14's and 16's to be the most effective, but keep a good supply of 18's and 20's in certain patterns. Be sure to include some long shank bloodworms. Tie with just fine red wire wrapped on the hook or red holographic flash w/ mono-rib, all covered with Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails. Fish these early in the season as your bottom fly tied on with the loop knot. For your 200R's, try offseting the point to get a better hook-up. I all but quit tying on these even though they make a great looking chiro. Hook-up ratio to that of other hooks can be poor.

20. Curved or straight is ineresting thought. I have always thought of curve looking better. I guess I think it imitates movement from the Chirony. I might have to test that out. Learing something new every day.