chiro fishing in the fall?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by dp, Nov 6, 2013.

1. dp

dp ~El Pescador

I know Spring is great for chironomid fishing. what about the Fall?
    is it worth it or are big meals the ticket?

2. Topstoy

Topstoy Member

I did some Chiro fishing last week and it was pretty slow. Much better in the spring time.

3. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

The odds are better with leeches in the Fall.

4. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Chronie fishing does just fine in the fall - deeper water stuff. I would tend to agree with ZL, that leeches / WB's are a better option and don't forget about water boatman, even scuds in the shallows. I have even fished dries late into November during a hatch.

I'll have more to report on Monday.

MB

5. Topstoy

Topstoy Member

I agree with Scott, Dries seem to do just fine. Leeches were the ticket for me. Had many great days during the last month.

6. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

+1 on the water boatmen

7. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

I don't fish chironomids often in the fall but lake fishing is full of exceptions. As hatches wind down midges are still active. I've had chromies and bloodworms save the day on occasion.

8. robl

robl Member

I usually fish bloodworms pretty hard in the fall and do well. Need to try waterboatman.

Leeches an scuds are also go2 flies in the fall. I still catch fish on chironomids but nothing like in the spring.

9. Jonnytutu

Jonnytutu Member

as mentioned bloodworms are awesome in the fall, also small micro leeches under an indie over the shoals are deadly. And yes, chironomids are always a go, not as good as leeches for me in the fall, ,the midges don't ever seem to stop hatching....

Fin

10. Topstoy

Topstoy Member

Yep, the few that I did get Chiro fishing were on a Bloodworm pattern. Again leeches were the food of choice for me stripped fairly fast.

11. Scott Salzer

Topstoy:

If you are talking about the lake in your backyard, we found that faster was better for success with leeches, even on the oars.....

MB

12. Topstoy

Topstoy Member

Yep most of the time I row for a bit and then strip in fast and after stripping in 10 feet or so they hit it. Actually did pretty good with Chiros 5-6 feet below an indicator thrown into the shallows during the last week it was open. Picked up some big hogs sitting in the shallows close to shore. My normal Chiro fishing in the deeper water was pretty slow. Can't wait until it opens again! Now it is time to focus on the Steel.

13. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Trout and other fish will eat chironomids 365 days a year if they are available. You should always be ready to throw one out if needed.

Mike Ediger and triploidjunkie like this.
  14. Sinkline

Sinkline Active Member

Like Irafly advised, we fish static year around. My fishing buddy and I fish stillwater year around and some of our best days in terms of take-downs, and quality of fish happens in Jan & Feb. We have had days where we get 50-take-downs between the two of us in 39-degree water!

Randy

15. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

OK, I have a question for you chironomid conspirators.
    What if there are no bugs in the air, no rises evident, nor other evidence of a hatch going on or having happened earlier (shucks floating around)?
    I want to start chironomid fishing more, but its hard for me to figure out how to do it "blind." With nothing to go by, would I start with a Bloodworm fished just off the bottom? Or what?

Seems like my experience yesterday evening at dusk trolling a #6 black wooly bugger at 4mph (was the only action I had) falls right in line with fast-stripping a leech.

16. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Jim, invest in a throat pump. Test a couple of fish early and see what they are eating and again later on. The most important factor is location. Once you are in a zone that you feel good with, put on a mid or blood worm and give it a try.

Just recently I fished Pass lake and found that the bigger fish I caught were all on static presentation where as the smaller more aggressive fish took stripped offerings.

17. Jim Wallace

Thanks Ira. I guess using a throat pump on a trout is better than ripping one open :eek: to examine the stomach contents.
    "Static" presentation? Would that be letting it hang motionless? Or inching it up the water column using hand-twist, with long pauses between the incremental raisings?
    I suppose that if an indicator were being used, any surface chop would provide the needed motion to a non-retrieved fly. But can I just use a long leader (longer than the water depth) and drop a weighted chiro straight down (with my fly line still all on the reel)?

18. Jim Wallace

I suppose that I should just get copies of the Phil Rowley book and Skip Morris/Brian Chan book on fishing stillwaters, as well as Tim Lockhart's recent book. I read thru some old threads here, to glean what I could. I've gotten enough info to get started. Only thing left now is to go do it.

19. Topstoy

Topstoy Member

Yes fish eat Chiros 365 days a year but as you noticed that with the cooler weather there are not as many coming off and the lack of anything at the surface. You can also try a scud pattern fished just off the bottom as they feed on these all year long as well yet you never see anything on the surface as they stay at the bottom. If you are down deep stripping or trolling with leeches you can pick up some big ums as well. Just need to get it down there. Good luck.

20. Scott Salzer

Suggest that you look at the DF thread.