chiro fishing in the fall?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by dp, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    Thanks for the tip on trying scuds, Topstoy. I was informed that the lake I was fishing has chara weed, which is supposed to be scud habitat. Usually I have luck there slow trolling or stripping a bugger or leech close to the bottom.

I found some "quick release indicators" that I had used with globugs. Egg shaped. Hollow peg. Can set 'em light enough to release on the rod tip. With a bobber stop up high on the leader, and the leader going straight thru them (without a loop pegged), they also work as slip indicators. If those don't work, I'll make some better ones.
  2. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    I did, and your latest post had not yet appeared. I looked for another DF post. Couldn't find a recent one. Then I noticed that your most recent one had suddenly appeared whiled I was searching elsewhere. My computer must be slow. But your post revealed a bit of insight. Thanks for the hedzup!;)
  3. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +206 / 0
    Me providing insight? You must have the wrong person. Nobody can actually attest that I was even at DF. Kind of surprised at the lack of people but it is hunting season too.
  4. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    There was one boat fishing on the lake I was at on Friday, and only one bankie plunking powerbait at the ramp. Both were gone before I got off the lake. I drove into Westport this afternoon just before 4pm. Place looked like a ghost town. (Was there some big game on tv?). I finally saw some more people out at Westhaven State Park. Mostly surfers. The surf was incredibly good looking with overhead to double-overhead waves peeling off beautifully. The swell was diminishing all afternoon, with a 6' @ 14 second swell focusing in just right on the incoming tide when I looked at it. Top-notch wave-riding going on with some of the better WA surfers out. Offshore breeze was a bit stiff, but it was doable. You'd have had to see it to believe it. I'd have loved to have been out in it, but my shoulder is still a bit tweaked, and it was a tad large. Won't be any good tomorrow, though, per the forecast.
    I plan to go fishing somewhere tomorrow, anyway.
  5. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,087 / 1
    Jim, the best way for me to really answer your vertical presentation questions is with you in a boat next to me while I'm doing it. I used to surf back in the day (not very good mind you but I enjoyed the beating) maybe I take a hike your way or you hike toward me and I school you.
  6. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +318 / 0
    ...... :D
  7. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 8
    We have a Winterlake over here that opens December 1. If we are lucky enough to have some open water in early December before it freezes solid we can have some amazing chironomid days on the lake. Blood worms and other chirono patterns especially black or maroon can be phenomenal. I've also found that they can take Chironomids all day long not just during a hatch. I guess that happens during the spring summer and fall as well… bottom line is late fall and winter can be absolutely terrific chironomid days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +728 / 2
    Chironomids, or midges, don't always head for the surface when they emerge from the bottom of the lake. They can emerge from the muck, and move up and down the water column and end up back in the mud without making it to the surface. Just because there are no shucks on the surface doesn't mean they aren't in the water column. They are down there and fish are eating them.... year around.
    Mike Ediger and anti.team like this.
  9. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    OK, sounds like I just have to BELIEVE that the trout are eating chironomids down there.
    Got to the lake yesterday early afternoon, greeted by moderate NE breeze and a light overcast, so I headed across to the lee shore. Once I made it to smoother surface conditions I found evidence of a large hatch of tiny gnats having been going on, and still going on. The adults weren't even an eigth of an inch long...more like 3/32". No way could I match that, except maybe with a Griffith's Gnat. The rise rings were very few and sparse. My sonar showed most fish cruising down near the bottom, with some at mid depth. Nothing that I could see happening along the weedy shallows.
    I tried slow trolling a two fly rig with a NCS(big brown BH bugger) trailed by a Sixpack. Nada. Not even a hit.
    I tried another spot on the downwind side of the lake where there wasn't any hatch evident, with trout hanging near the bottom. The breeze was chilly there, and the fish didn't seem interested in my offerings, so I didn't stay long. Otters recently have been hanging out at that end, anyway.
    Finally, I switched to my #6 black sparkle bugger and paddled back upwind to the lee shore of the lake, and missed a decent grab right after I anchored and started casting and retrieving. Another slow period followed that, and I moved and re-anchored a couple of times.
    Then, at about 4:30pm I noticed a few risers out of range, so I hauled anchor and started paddling slowly thru the rise rings, and then a little faster to bring my fly right up under the surface (clear intermediate line) and started paddling an enclosing circle (seiner style) around the rise rings and bingo, I started getting strikes and hooking trout. In the next half hour before dark I released a couple of nice 14"ers and landed two more (one about 15") that I took home for a friend and his wife, per their request. I missed a bunch of strikes, and LDR'd a couple jumpers, too.
    I'm thinking I should just hit that lake a half hour before dark, these days.:confused:
  10. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +335 / 0
    Those fish cruising near the bottom and mid-depth on your sonar were PRIME CANDIDATES for catching with vertical presentation. Hang a bloodworm, snocone, or micro leech down there next time. You'll find out pretty quick if those were feeding fish.
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  11. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    OK, If you make it down this way next Spring, after the seasonal lakes open, I have a lake in mind that you'll like. Bring your wetsuit, since I have a couple of extra surf sticks in my quiver that are just right for someone getting back into the game.
    Otherwise, I've been wanting to go camp at Discovery Pass and fish all those lakes up there that I keep reading about here.
  12. ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    I catch fish on "mids year round. You just need to move to smaller sizes in colder weather, use a pump to determine size and color, and adjust your depth if you are not having any luck. Also, dont be afraid to move to smaller sized leaders and tippet as well. You might experience more breakoffs but you will hit more fish.
    Steve Kokita likes this.
  13. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +146 / 0
    Ditto on what ryfly said! I use 6X or 7X chironomid fishing and have landed large fish. Just keep it at least 14" long so it has some stretch to it. The fish have a long time to examine your flies so light tippet makes sense. Send me a pm ryfly, we'll have to hook up and go bobber fishing sometime!
  14. Topstoy Member

Tonasket, WA
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    As you see, this time of year fishing with Chiros get tricky, don't waste you time. You'll just get cold sitting there anyway. I would stick with leeches or nymphs.
  15. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    I will always try Chironomiding. Rivers I like the Zebra Midge. Nice thing about stillwater is I can use BIGGER mids.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Sometimes it is slower in the colder months, but it can also surprise me. I do fish under an indy a lot, but also use a Type VII.
    triploidjunkie and Jeff Dodd like this.
  16. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,215 / 4

Or you could put in a little effort, learn how to fish vertically, and catch way more fish. The fact that it gets tricky shouldn't scare anyone away from suchaan extremely effective method of fishing
  17. Steve Unwin Active Member

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Wait, extremely effective? Nick, are you sure you aren't just being greedy? ;)

I will definitely be fishing vertically this winter. I need practice and patience, but I do believe it's an effective way to fish.
    Nick Clayton likes this.
  18. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,215 / 4
    I should clarify that I'm not claiming any one method is more effective. Rather I just think it does am angler well to learn as many methods as they can. Just another tool in the toolbox, so to speak

Definitely not advocating greediness!, lol
  19. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,334 / 0
    Most of my big winter fish are caught with a #14 snowcone under an indy. Usually in ten to twenty feet of water. It is a gigantic tailwater, so the water stays a little warmer in winter.
  20. Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

auburn,wa
    Ratings: +79 / 9
    ryfly need to go fishing with that Steve (the bobber guy also better known as the Famous Japanese Flyfisherman) he has taught me a few thing I used to think indy fishing was boring until I met him as Nick says it never hurt to have one more option to catch fish when you drive 100 miles and leave with one fish trolling.

Note: Bring Crown and he may just break out his fish taking Balance San Juan and give you one
    Jeff Dodd, Steve Kokita and Blue like this.