Chironomid Books... suggestions?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Chef, Feb 8, 2011.

1. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

B, What's your definition of buzzers?

2. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Mike:

Correct me if I am wrong, but you can only use two flies in WA - right? Just trying to make sure I (and others) understand.

MB

3. Tom Palmer

Tom Palmer Active Member

Regarding the use of flies, for Fly Fishing only waters you can use two. For selective gear fisheries (like Lenice, Dry Falls etc...) you can use up to three.

4. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Thanks for that, Tom. I kind of thought about that possibility when I noticed the two fly thingy under FF only.

MB

5. Tom Palmer

Tom Palmer Active Member

Maybe my expectations were too high, but I was actually disappointed with Modern Midges. Being a chironomid fisherman I was very excited ordering the book last spring, but after really diving in found it lacking. A few things I felt were missing-
    1) More fly tying demos. The more innovate patterns that interest me are not shown in enough detail to actually reproduce (e.g. burnt microfibbets for gill pads). They aren't available commercially and they don't show you how to tie them... this made some patterns just pretty pictures. Impossible to obtain without more detail.
    2) More history and analysis of midge fishing. This book feels like it was written primarily for the tailwater fisherman. For example, if you are an old chironomid fisherman like me, you know who Paul Lasha is. He invented the Racoon, which belongs in every NW fly box. In MM, the Racoon pictured is incorrectly tied and the originator box says "unknown." I mean all Paul did was produce a videotape called "Flies and Midges" that shows how to tie it! All you have to do is read Phil Rowley's book on Stillwater Fishing and on page 25 he tells you the history of the pattern!
    3) More detail on river versus lake midge fishing. Most BC guys don't carry RS2's or WD40's. Most Colorado tailwater guides don't carry chromies or snocones. Maybe they should? Are there differences in why a pattern works in still versus running water? I feel this topic could have been covered in more depth.

By no means am I saying the book is terrible. I just expected and wanted more.

BTW- I am a huge believer in small flies for lakes!

Tom

6. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Good review Tom.

I received Dave Hughes Book Nymphs for Streams and Stillwaters for Christmas. I've just recently started exploring this book, but my impression so far is that Mr. Hughes does an excellent job of covering the different water types and the flies for each. Not too many Chironomid patterns and the stillwater section is much smaller than the moving water section, but good regardless.

Dave's book had me thinking Modern Midges might be my next book purchase, but I won't jump into that purchase without some research after reading your comments.
    Thank you.
    Jeff

7. powderglut

powderglut My Kind Of Wave

I can't say that I've read or even looked in this book. However, a few years back I was fishing at a favorite area, called Dulaney Buttes lakes in N Colorado. I was having some... success from shore with a 2 nymph setup, but not exactly slaying them. This guy comes over, introduces himself and starts talking to me. He asks if he can checkout the flies I'm fishing. He pulls a box out of his vest loaded with midge patterns. Hands me half a dozen and then tells me to try these two instead of the one's I have on. Say's he's been fishing the Buttes for years and has come up with a few killer patterns. Anyway, yes, I tied them on and yes, I started hammering fish. I can't remember what he called them Tak's something or other.
    All I'm saying is the 2 or 3 style patterns he gave me, I've used in lakes and rivers for years now, and have tied them in all sizes and colors. I have to figure that he has come up with workable patterns for each different place he's fished. This man catches fish. Oh yeah, the guy's name, who gave me the flies is Rick Takahashi. I'm guessing there's a few patterns in that book that should work. I might even have to get it now!
    Good Luck!

8. Chironomadness

Chironomadness Member

Another good source is to google Favorite Chironomid Patterns and click on Images in the left hand corner...all kinds of great examples to copy :)

9. Woodman60

Woodman60 Member

I bought it and wouldn't recommend it. It's got about a million pictures of patterns that all start to look the same. How many black thread midges do I need....Not much discussion of when, where, why to use a certain pattern or how to fish it.

I'll sell you mine if you want one.

10. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I'll second Blue's recommendation on Midge Magic as a very comprehensive book with lots of patterns and material choices. Rick

11. MERDOG95

MERDOG95 New Member

I have fished with Rick on many ocassions he is awesome and know his stuff. Also try gordon waldmier at anglers roost in Fort Collins, do Rick works there also.