Chironomid fishing a deeper location?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Ed Call, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    It would be interesting to see the new contours

2. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    I don't thik the contours have changed all that much. It mostly seems to me that either the lake has been allowed to retain more water than in 1946 or the original survey was inaccurate.

3. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

It's basically the running line from a cheap fast sinking fly line. I cut off the head and splice 10 ft of T14 to the running line. QUOTE]

This would be a line with a sinking tip; not a full sinking line. Is that correct?

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    alawrence, I'm pretty sure he is talking about a full sinking line. He took part of the head portion off and spliced on an even heavier material, the T14. I'd call that full sinking line mod a Rock Taper! It should get down fast as a rock.

5. pfournier

pfournier Do it outside!

Back on topic: I tried the sinking line method with a black chironomid yesterday. Boy did I get the jolt of a life time. OMG, they do hit hard. Of course I'm just so used to watching the indicator twitch. This was not no twitch. I highly recommend the experience for anyone willing to revive your boring day!

6. cutthroatking

cutthroatking screw work lets fish

Mumbles
    you can tye a fixed loop buy:
    put tippet through the eye and make a loop then feed the tag end through the loop 5 times pull both the tag and tippit together and tighten loop where you want it.This is a great knot IMHO,both for a open loop or tyed tight to the fly.

john

7. candr

candr Daryl

Any thin diameter line will work as a running line. Probably the most important thing is that it has low memory (or can be stretched to hang straight down). The full sink (fast sink) lines are usually neutral colors (green, grey, etc) so I've used those out of personal preference. You could use the running line from a floating line, the airflo braid I use for my shooting heads on my spey, monofilament..... Maybe loop some T14 on the lines you already use? The point is to get it down to the bottom quickly and have it hang straight. You probably don't need the shock tippet either. Just use a heavier leader and a softer action rod. I think you could fish this technique successfully 100 different ways. Some of Lafontaine's stillwater books talk about using the technique different ways, as does Jack Shaws book, Phil Rowley etc. It's been around a while......

8. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Thaks for the info!