Chironomid Gills

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Blue, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    With all the swaps lately for Chironomids, I am curious how many have tried White Ostrich for gills? I love it, so easy to work with too.
  2. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +233 / 0
    Blue-I have used Ostrich herl for gills and it is nice to work with. For the ones I tied for our swap, I use Uni stretch floss in white. It is a really nice material to work with as well. Antron yarn is also nice for its reflectivity. Rick
  3. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Few of my patterns need gills but when they do I use Antron.
  4. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,237 / 0
    I have used just about anything white. I like ostrich herl, and use it or antron, or a sliver of white foam. I never add gills if I use a bead. The ones with foam I put behind a beadhead as a dropper. I like how they suspend, and seem to get more strikes than the other fly. Just my preference though. I'm far from an expert on chrinomid fishing, just have methods that fit my style.
  5. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Yup. Antron/Zlon, anything tri-lobal. it's a little shiny on it's own, but it also catches air as Mr. Lafontaine showed us.
  6. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    I use the Antron also, I like to tie it in like wings on a Wulff fly, but cut them short. I think this makes the fly wiggle whe pulled through the water
    [IMG]

But, I like the Ostrich, for a light whispy look and the flies I just let hang under an indy. They work great. Just a different look and material:

[IMG]
  7. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    Nice ties, Blue!
  8. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Thank you! I was just throwing out different ideas because of all the Chironomid swaps going on.
    OH another neat idea, I call the Transformer. Lay down one color of regular tying thread, then cover with SILK of another color. Example, Red base with Yellow silk, when wet, the most beautiful Orange. Blue base with Yellow silk very cool green.
  9. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +233 / 0
    For my larger chronnies (above size 18), I use a white bead which takes the place of gills. Below that size, I'm using 1/16" beads and they don't paint up well and aren't available in white, so I use gill material on those. Rick
  10. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    iagree I don't see a need to put gills on one with a white bead(even though I think the white bead represents their large milky colored eyes more than gills). I tie my antron in exactly like blue, like wing posts(great lookin chrino by the way, blue). I've been using ostrich herl more and more in my tying of various flies because of the breathing action. Some nymphs that I used to dub bodies for now have ostrich herl(at least partially) bodies.
  11. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    I would love to see those flies! I tie a Four Feather and a Damsel with Ostrich, but found out, they fade really bad in the summer, you had this problem? White is pretty safe, and AWESOME scuds can be made out of Ostrich.
  12. Baitfish Member

Gig Harbor
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Oral-B Ultra dental floss..
  13. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    I'll try to find some that aren't to chewed up, or tie some more. I have used ostrich for scud legs, rickard's stillwaters, and several damsel patterns(prototyping some stonefly nymphs patterns with ostrich instead of hackle for legs). I haven't noticed any color fade in olive, black, or white. I will be the first to admit that my chrinomid patterns are gettin more simple every year. Anymore I'm too lazy to even add a wingpost. After a few outtings where once the fly got mangled, and I had to snip the tattered wingpost off, the fish never seemed to notice. Once they go on a chrino binge, I don't think much matters to them as long as it's approximately the right shape, size, and color.
  14. Trout Master Active Member

View attachment 38753 Blue, very nice work . I dont use gills on 16 and below I use tungsten beads 3/32 and 5/32 and paint them with krylon after washing the beads with acetone. I tied this up yesterday I tied a few to see how they work they will be tried out friday. size 16 on a 1X long hook.
  15. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    That looks like a TMC 200R hook? I love that. I don' put gills on white beads all the time or black or red as you found out in the swap. I just like gills for more movement like mentioned when using Ostrich, or to great a wiggle like with the Wulff gills....Okay, here is another choice.
    A #12 swim hook:

[IMG]
  16. Trout Master Active Member

I love doubles, but have not had good sucess with them. I havent done a swap yet, may do it sometime. and yes tmc200r 3x not a 1x . Good work there lady. You are now the Hook Detective.
  17. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    My favorite Hook.!!!!!!
  18. Trout Master Active Member

I like to use TMC 206BL in size 16 and 18
  19. mojo Member

Yewtah
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Correct me if I'm wrong. But I always thought the white bead was supposed to imitate the air bubble, not the gills?
  20. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,018 / 1
    I think the white bead imitates what it imitates. I don't think the fish look at it and think to themselves, "Hey those are gills" or vise a versa. The white bead or multiple other contraptions on our bugs are attractors that set out bugs appart from the other bugs, something just different enough to catch their attention while at the same time not scaring them away altogether. When they are real keyed in that's when a more natrural approach becomes all the more important; size, color etc...

I'm seeing more and more doubles but I have not fished them yet, can't wait to give it a try.

As for gills I use antron on almost all my bugs, but I used to use ostritch don't know why I switched but I catch more fish now.

Ira..