Chironomid Gills

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Blue, Feb 7, 2011.

1. I think that if the bead is supposed to imitate a bubble, a silver bead would be a better choice. The static bag chromies do a good job of looking like a chironomid surrounded with air bubbles. The patterns that Randy Diefert ties with oil filled larva lace also imitate air bubbles. But who is to know-whatever turns the fish on is what we are striving for. Rick

2. Nice tie Blue! If you used this fly in a fly swap-would it count as two flies? Rick

3. I was thinking the same thing....LOL
    I found this about the white bead I thought was good info:

"The Ice Cream Cone is meant to represent deep lying chironomid pupae. It is primarily a stillwater pattern that is especially effective when the naturals are staging. The pattern sinks quickly to depth where its white bead head, thought to indicate the gills of the natural, acts as a trigger point."

4. The ice cream cone seems to be an all-or-nothing fly for me. They either love the white bead or avoid it.

5. True, same here, but the bead was what I was getting at. Barber poles work good, and that Patriot. It originally is a simpler fly with no thorax, wing case, gills. That is just me doing that. It works killer either way, but again, with just bead, I let it just sink, with gills, I will pull occasionally for movement and wiggle.

6. I use ostrich herl. Easy to work with. I use other things also, but ostrich herl is easiest work with.

7. Here is a chironomid emerger I tie that has ostrich at the rear end of the fly , that is supposed to represent the head of the shuck - if that makes any sense .:hmmm:

[​IMG]

8. What a great looking fly. Kind of Denny Rickards meets Brian Chan...LOL Is this your creation? AWESOME! I am thinking #12 Henry's Lake.

9. I had the same thought, Blue. Very cool tie. What is the shell back material?

10. Some of the chrinomids I see hatch on Rufus Woods are huge. They are literally the size of stoneflies. The underwater patterns are easy to tie and imitate for these "bombers". Right now I use a #10 or #8 black parachute pattern on top with some success. Been experimenting so I'll be ready in June this year when the big fish come to the surface to play.

11. Big chironomids at Rufus! Now I am really comming over to play. What color trip?