chironomid rod?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Nick Clayton, Jan 2, 2012.

1. When you say 13' of tippet, is that a level or tapered (or stepped) tippet? I take what you mean as 13' of 4X (or any X)?

2. It is level taper. Not sure if knots in the tippet to create a taper would cause my slip indicator to hang up. I use the Styro eggs with the plastic pegs. I do drill the peg out so it will slide easily over the furled leader.

3. I use sage Z axis 10' 5wt and just slow down the casting stroke.Sage also makes the 99 its slower but sage makes it so its still fast. When i fish below 15 to 20 feet i use a full sink rio deep 7 stright down and hold on.

4. I use the Type Vll more for over 20'. Great line.

5. I stopped by my local fly shop after work tonight and took one of the Greys 10' 4 wts for a test drive out in
    the parking lot. I think this was a huge mistake! What a sweet stick! I am going to be looking at these rods
    mighty hard in the near future. I think this would make a fantastic chironomid stick. Will throw a nice open loop. We were laying out 60' casts with ease in the parking lot...plenty distance for chronnie work. I with most definitely be adding one of these rods to the quiver in the very near future.

6. How about the effects of the leader make up on the cast? What type of leaders are most easily cast when you get up to 20'+? Do you start with a 12' 2X or 3X and add say 3' of 4x and 3' of 5x to make the 20'? Or do you just start out with a long section of tippet or mono? I think part of my problem with the longer leaders is keeping the energy moving down the leader to the mids.

Mike

7. 10' 5 wt streamdance GLX, done. 40' leaders can be cast while standing and doubled anchored.

8. I make a 7' furled leader in which you can add either 13' (or more) of straight mono/fluoro or you can even go half one weight and the last half a lighter weight, but the straight tippet does turn over nicely.