chironomid rod?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Nick Clayton, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    When you say 13' of tippet, is that a level or tapered (or stepped) tippet? I take what you mean as 13' of 4X (or any X)?
  2. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    It is level taper. Not sure if knots in the tippet to create a taper would cause my slip indicator to hang up. I use the Styro eggs with the plastic pegs. I do drill the peg out so it will slide easily over the furled leader.
  3. kvannice Member

shoreline wa
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I use sage Z axis 10' 5wt and just slow down the casting stroke.Sage also makes the 99 its slower but sage makes it so its still fast. When i fish below 15 to 20 feet i use a full sink rio deep 7 stright down and hold on.
  4. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    I use the Type Vll more for over 20'. Great line.
  5. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,116 / 4
    I stopped by my local fly shop after work tonight and took one of the Greys 10' 4 wts for a test drive out in
    the parking lot. I think this was a huge mistake! What a sweet stick! I am going to be looking at these rods
    mighty hard in the near future. I think this would make a fantastic chironomid stick. Will throw a nice open loop. We were laying out 60' casts with ease in the parking lot...plenty distance for chronnie work. I with most definitely be adding one of these rods to the quiver in the very near future.
  6. Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Redmond, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +73 / 0
    How about the effects of the leader make up on the cast? What type of leaders are most easily cast when you get up to 20'+? Do you start with a 12' 2X or 3X and add say 3' of 4x and 3' of 5x to make the 20'? Or do you just start out with a long section of tippet or mono? I think part of my problem with the longer leaders is keeping the energy moving down the leader to the mids.

Mike
  7. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 8
    10' 5 wt streamdance GLX, done. 40' leaders can be cast while standing and doubled anchored.
  8. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT

I make a 7' furled leader in which you can add either 13' (or more) of straight mono/fluoro or you can even go half one weight and the last half a lighter weight, but the straight tippet does turn over nicely.