Chironomid Swap 16 or smaller Spring 2011

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Irafly, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,053 / 1
    This will work. Sorry I didn't reply to your text.

This really works well for me, because all of my bugs are weighted and on occassion it would be nice to throw some unweighted bugs. Tie it.

Ira..
  2. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 8
    Theres place and time for everything, prob. a great bug to use when the fish are keyed just under the surface with emergers. Floating line and light leader should do the trick for fish slurping the emerging Chironomid.
  3. yellowlab Active Member

Photo doesn't quite show the coloration, but the color isn't red, more of amber or root beer colored thread. There is one secret material but I don't know if anyone has used it with their Chironomid ties b4... ;)
  4. Troutrageous Active Member

Yakima
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Ok, I'm not done, but cranked out a good few of mine, hope they look good (I forgot how small 16 was, these are a pain!).
  5. Chef New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Trout: I agree.... size 16 are a pain! :)
  6. Mark Horwath Member

everett wa.
    Man up boys, start tying "20 then complain, just finished tying starting to label the flys hope to deliver some time this week.
    Mark,
  7. yellowlab Active Member

Mark, does that mean you tied up 20's? If so, kudos to you! I need to fill some smaller flies into my Chironomid selection. I sent off my flies yesterday to Ira. Gettin' ready for some stillwater!!!
  8. Irafly Active Member

They arrived in the mail today! Great looking bugs. I've always likes smaller, found them to be quicker to tie. But then again, yeah they are a pain.

Ira..

Oh an nice bugs Troutrageous
  9. Chef New Member

Seattle, WA
    Just finished early this morning. Couldnt sleep so plenty of time to tie at 1:30 AM before work.

It was good for me to tie these becasue I learned some key things: less is best, dont over crowed the eye, half hitches are easier then whip finishes in smaller flies (for me at least), gotta be gentle with the thread wraps by the eye of the hook and when using silk thread, gotta take it easy and not pull so damn hard. :)
  10. Irafly Active Member

We all learned and are still learning these lessons.

Ira..
  11. willburrrr2003 Member

everett, WA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I will be picking up supplies to tie this weekend...I have a couple different Ideas to try and tie the glass bug I posted pic of...we'll see how it goes....I hope to have them finished this weekend. Ira, I believe you are very close to me in Everett, could I drop the flies off when they are finished instead of mailing them?
  12. Irafly Active Member

Absolutely!
  13. Mark Horwath Member

everett wa.
    No I was busting the guys, I did tie some #18 next time #20 I'm new to the chironomids I don't mind tying small I hope they will work for you chironomid pro's.
  14. Irafly Active Member

Mr. Coachman's are now in and they have that perfect color brown that is almost impossible to create with thread. Great bugs.

Ira..
  15. nailbender Active Member

Ratings: +34 / 0
    Mine will be in mondays mail.
  16. kenfishbum New Member

Elk, Wa.
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Flies going in Tues. mail.
  17. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    I fished my contribution to the swap yesterday at Lone with swapmeister Ira. They work.
  18. Irafly Active Member

I can vouch for the above! Fun day Rod.

Ira..
  19. Irafly Active Member

ROLL CALL!

Flies that are in:

Irafly
    troutpocket
    Ron McNeal
    nailbender
    yellowlab
    kenfishbum
    mrcoachman

One week to go!

Ira..
  20. Baitfish Member

Gig Harbor
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I am finished with mine, but I am trying to wrap up both swaps (midge) together. I am shooting for Tues if not Wed in the mail.. I'd send them earlier, but work is killing me for free time.