CHIRONOMID THREAD -

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Drifter, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Hi Top,
    Now that I know that you fish out of a tube.... the next question(s) i would ask is do you mainly troll around like most tubers and do you use electronics. If you are not using electronics then you are guessing at the depths. If you use a hemostat or something like that at least tells you the depth at that one tiny little spot. It could easily be a foot deeper or shallower a few feet away. I use electronics and fish out of an anchored boat but even still I wont try to set my fly only one foot off the bottom for two reasons... one....I only know the depth under my transom.... if I cast 60 feet out from the boat it could be a foot shallower and that puts my fly right on the bottom.... and the second reason is cruising trout are generally not looking down just straight ahead and up to some degree (it is a physiological thing).... and trout often cruise two feet off the bottom so a fly much lower is likely out of sight.......
    If you don't anchor and you troll around well then things get a lot more random....I know that trollers catch fish but that is generally not a form "pure" chironomid fishing" .... granted it is fishing with a chironomid though.....
    The only reason I say that is if you were to go to B.C. ( ground zero for the chironomid fly fishing scene) during the chironomid season you would only find a tiny number folks fishing out of personal craft and they are mainly trolling around near a put in... picking up an occasional fish....... The other reason I bring up the "purists" thing ( not trolling) is that if you were to go to Rowley or Chan's site and probably most all of them, their systems are all oriented around being stationary.... and consistently presenting their flies in the productive zone...... and generally trying to match the hatch with actual color and size.........

Hope this helps PM

2. Excellent writing PM. Thanks.

3. Chiming in from eastern washington:

Hottest lake chironomid fishing for me is on a 5-8 foot shoal at my favorite lake, when they are there in April. boat OR float tube anchored, floating line, conventional indicator. Either hang you offering a foot off the bottom, or 18 inches below the surface, if fish are rising.

Sometimes the shoal is deserted, however.

next best is 15-18 feet, just off the bottom, using floating line and slip indicator.

But you also have to pay attention to weeds. dont drop it into weeds, suspend just above the weeds.

for cruising fish, the drop off at the edge of shoals can be good, here the depths certainly does change alot with location. do your best.

If you dont want to match the hatch, use a size 10 black/red/silver sort of chironomid. There are always a few of the larger midges hatching and a fish may take this opportunistically.

However, for hot fishing, it works best to match size to what is hatching.

Generally, I use 1 size 10 and then a much smaller selection as a dropper (16, or 18)

When you catch your first fish, sample the gullet, and see what they are eating. If they are full of daphnia, good luck, it may be hard to catch a fish on chironomids, maybe switch to stripping or trolling leeches.

If there is an algal bloom, there may still be clear water and good fishing at a depth below the bloom.

hatches are localized and unpredictable. keep moving around until you find fish.

jwg

4. jug, you water sounds fantastic!

5. Nice post.... Pumping throats provides a lot of invaluable info eh? Do you ever find aquatic worms? ...... not leeches but oligochaeta... One lake that I fish has 'em... all that I find are iron grey.... an inch or so long and less than an 1/8" in diameter...
    If I find a lot of daphnia it is usually during the season when there is plenty of other edibles around.... but going to a light green #14 chronnie can be effective as a most daphnia that I see are light green but their presence is not a deal breaker.... something I don't like to see in the throat samples is chaorbus (glass worm, phantom midge)......they stage for several days.....perhaps even a week or more and the numbers grow to biblical proportions hovering near the bottom in mass until hatch time. Naturally the trout pork out selectively on those little clear larvae... and that will shut down the bite!
    It's interesting how some anglers are turned off by indicator fishing, oh well.... they know not what they are missing... to me it's much like dry fly fishing..... you get the take.... then a moment of disbelief and then a heavy pull.... oh yeah!

PM

6. I hope this doesn't offend anyone, if so, sorry up front. Here are some samples and my offerings:
    [​IMG]
    This one was very cool. The Leeches are around 1 1/2" long
    [​IMG]
    This Chironomid might work for you pond:
    [​IMG]

7. Lots of good info in this thread. I find fishing chironomids really enjoyable, with nearly all of my fishing done with a floating line.
    Since I can stand up, I've been able to cast leaders as long as 30' though I prefer to fish shallower.
    Throat pumping fish really helps key in on the naturals that are hatching.

Here are a few pics. The first two show the different size bugs that hatched during the day and the flies that were successful.
    The next pic shows some chironomids and bloodworms. The last are Raccoons that got shredded during a prolific bomber hatch on a local lake. I tie them with foam backs now to increase the durability.
    I always like to have a dry fly rod rigged just in case this happens.

8. Oh my! Those blood midge/worms in Pix #3 are awesome! How long are they?

By the way, I absolutely love this thread. You guys rock!

9. Blue,
    I did measure it, but I'd say well over an inch long.
    I also fish a couple of lakes with large snail populations. I've pumped a few, but you can feel the shells in their stomachs. If someone has a good snail pattern, I'd like to see it. I'd like to try fishing one with a chironomid dropper.
    Also a quick question for the group. Has anyone ever fished solid white chironomids? Another board member mentioned he and a friend had done well on them. I think I'll crank out a few this year and give it a go.

10. My friend hammers them on a Tan with white bead. I am with you, I am going to whip some out as well. As far as a snail, I have always used Renegades. Henry's Lake is big snail food water and variations of the Renegade are the main flies.

11. Those plate shots are better than sample platters from Denny's. especially like the leeches.

12. Some good hatches I see.... some nice zooplankton (always a good indicator of a healthy food chain)...
    I did not see any chromies or chromers in the sample..... they are little beauties...Thanks for posting....I am not good at post photos except on facebook but there are some great photos of emerging pupae at a link...
    geocities.jp/sulmenuka/kapyupa.htm if any one cares...
    Thanks for posting.....

Paul

13. Thanks, I was trying to look every way I could. Very COOL!!!!

14. Couple questions that popped into my head while on the water today. I see all sorts of talk about big hatches during the winter? I have caught fish on mids this winter but haven't seen many signs of a hatch. So do the fish just know what it is even when there is no hatch?

What is a bloodworm?

15. larval stage of a midge

16. http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/speakers/brian-chan/brian-chan.cfm
    Nick,
    Lots of good information in the above mp3 radio shows. Brian Chan was a guest on Fly Fish Radio & the link is to his first 2 shows a couple years ago. He had a follow-up show in 2011 that is also available for free download in the show archives.

You'll find lots cool broadcasts in the archives if you've not already discouvered them.

Thanks to all for this nice thread on Chironomid fishing.

17. Some experimenting at the vice tonight. Black with red rib and clear scud back, chromie with clear scud back, olive thread/black rib with olive scud back, and pheasant tail.

18. I find the term "bloodworm" to be a little confusing because it is not a technical term...
    Generally though I think that when most anglers mention bloodworms they're thinking big (one inch or more)... and often they are referring to a genus that maybe doesn't hatch with a main spring broods.... maybe not 'til august or later so they are still around in summer months .....My theory is that most anglers are referring to the larvae of the genus chironomus.....
    Also some anglers might occasionally see "aquatic worms" which can be red .... either in throat samples or on weeds or marl pulled up with an anchor and think that they are seeing chironomidae or leeches....(most aquatic worms that I se are iron grey.)

It is a jungle out there...

Paul

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_worm
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=chironomus&qpvt=chironomus&FORM=IGRE#x0y0