chironomids: somethings not stirring the koolaid

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Michael Thompson, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Birdsnest Member

Ratings: +8 / 0
    How do you tie a two fly rig? I have tried it by tying some tippet to the bend of the upper hook, but I can only recall actually landing one fish on the top fly (lots on the lower). I have had quite a few missed hits that I think were probably on the upper fly and the line got in the way. In fact, after missing around 6 hits in a row recently on Pass Lake, I removed the upper fly and the problem went away.
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,330 / 9
    Dropper loop? Check this site from the WFF articles on knots. http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/faq/idx/0/063/article/Knot_Guide.html I've heard that some tie to the bend, but if I tie on another fly it will either be up the tippet and tied to the eye or with a dropper loop of some sort. I'm new to chironomid fishing and will confess that I don't know much about it but this tying process has provided me some recent success. I also have recently experimented with non indicator fishing and really liked the results.
  3. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,729 / 0
    I didn't tell a beginner that it has to be technical. I said some will take it to the next level and it can be as technical as you want to make it. Also I said the guys I know at Pass could fish circles around you and they can.
  4. Gray Ghost Member

Flowing Waters
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    For early spring try #10 and #12 "Chromies", a Philip Rowley pattern. As the Spring, early Summer progresses downsize to #14, #16 and #18 Chironomid patterns. Insects get smaller Spring, Summer to Fall. The "Chromie" is the most productive Chironomid pattern I've fished and will usually be productive no matter the actual color of Chironomid the fish may be targeting, just make sure you are presenting the appropriate size for the season being fished and the size of the Chironomid shucks observed. That is why I like the "Chromie" so much, it is very versatile. Also trying some non-Chironomid patterns below the indicator, "Pheasant tail", "Hares ear" nymphs and the "San Juan worm" can be productive sometimes as well.
  5. kamishak steve Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    yep kerry, you've never seen me fish but you seem pretty confident your buddies are the greatest lake fishers on the planet. I hope they appreciate you hyping them up and their fishery... just because they can fish circles around you doesn't mean they can fish circles around me. speak for yourself.
  6. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,224 / 0
    I'm no expert and will only resort to 'bobber staring' if nothing else is working.

That said, I'm surprised that no one's mentioned depth as being the most important variable. Yes, patterns and size matter, but not as much as depth. If your fly isn't in the part of the water column where fish are feeding, it doesn't make a bit of difference what pattern or size you're using.

One of my regular fishing buddies is what I regard as an expert chironomid fisher. His best advice is to start at 5 feet deep and twitch the line or give is a slow, short pull every now and then to make the fly rise up in the water and then settle back down. If it's still not working, then try varying your depth in 2 foot increments up or down until you find fish. Sometimes he ends up finding fish 20 feet down who aren't at all interested in the same pattern at 15 feet.

If someone nearby is schooling you, observe the depth on their setup or even just ask.

Of course there's always the possibility that fish simply aren't there in the first place, in which case nothing you try will matter!

K
  7. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +445 / 1
    ahhh someones ego is flaring up. how cute. i think there is a cream available. FYI
  8. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,330 / 9
    If your friends are fishing circles around someone there is no wonder why there are no fish available inside the circle. Personally I'd move out of the donut hole and find my own fish.
  9. SuperSecretCIA Be Like Mike!

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    :rofl: iagree :rofl:
  10. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,729 / 0
    Once again I did not say they were the greatest lake fishers on the planet. Your reading comp skills are not very good are they. Hell, most can fish circles around me, not to worried about it. I say they can fish circles around you because these guys have fished Pass for years, kept detailed records and on any given day they are going to outfish most anyone on the lake that doesn't have the experience with that fishery that they do. If you have a problem getting out fished, to bad. Doesn't bother me. As far as those guys giving a shit about what I say;:rofl:.
  11. Gray Ghost Member

Flowing Waters
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    Varying your depth to find the magic depth and the twitch, two good tips. Many times just twitching, slow pulling or bumping the indicator a couple times after a pause period ends up with indicator down.
  12. Analysis Paralysis Member

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I just caught a few stockers this weekend on this one. I don't know if the lake I was at was freshly stocked yet (my guess is yes due to the number of rings), but I have caught them on Chironomids and so has my wife (on opening day no less). The key is to put at least two on the line and vary the patters so you can see what they like (if you can't see any actually hatching). In my case, I had this one on top, and a brighter one (beadhead with silver wire) on the bottom. In my case, on fish hit the top on and 15 minutes later one hit the bottom one... so they must have been hungry. Chironomids are a good bet when you don't know what is out there, and the best part is they are east to tie!