chironomids the brown series

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Tony, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Tony

Tony Tony

In an attempt to imitate the pupae of a fairly large reddish brown midge that is fairly common in the lakes of western Washington I tied these 2 patterns both were well received at Lone lake a couple of days ago the patterns are up to the rib identical the rib color really changes the way the fly looks. The colors come from pumped samples
    hook: your choice these are a #14 and a #12 2x heavy hooks for a fast sink rate
    thread: orange
    Head: white tungston bead
    body:0range crystal flash with brown scud back over it
    rib:red or copper
    collar: peacock P4260911.JPG

2. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

Very nice .
    The ones with te red ribbing would fish well at Tunkwa Lake in August in size 8 .

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  3. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Tony
    Very nice looking chironomids. I will give this pattern a go on Lone.

I have had great luck fishing a brown thread body chironomid with silver rib and white bead. 3 coats of SH hard as nails. The color of the thread looks very close to the bugs you pictured, but I suspect yours have more glow with scud back over KF. Last weekend that fly accounted for my largest fish and killed a dry spell!

4. Patagonguy

Patagonguy Active Member

Very nice imitations. Perhaps would be good to try some with Pheasant tail fibers, for the body.
    Just a thought.

5. Tony

Tony Tony

I have tied with pheasant tail in the past but the flies didn't perform as well as ones tied with man made materials so I quit using it except for tying pt nymphs plus I have more control over the durability and color
    Tony

Duane J and Patagonguy like this.
  6. GAT

GAT Active Member

I'd had the same experience as Tony. Nice buzzers. We call that color "root beer".

I flip flop back and forth between a white and/or clear bead with a silver lining and antron for the gills. Sometimes, one style works when the other doesn't. I have no clue why. So, I tie both.

I'm starting to lean more toward a red rib than silver. But again, just in case, I tie the patterns using both types of ribs. Midge emergers are easy to tie so there's no reason not to cover the most bases you can. This explains why I've ended up with 1,154 fly boxes :)

7. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Those look great.
    When the larger local chironomids are hatching, some of the adults have a pinkish or red tone. I've also seen some that almost look orange when they first emerge from their schmuck, although the color fades pretty quickly. A red or orange raccoon works really well for the surface feeders are keyed in on the adult midges.
    I've always referred to that hatch as Pink Ladies.
    A pupa tied with light pink thread and silver rib has worked really well for me the past few year when that hatch is happening.
    SF

auhunter likes this.
  8. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

they look like fish catchers to me

9. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

HELP!!... Someone please get Gene another fly box... He NEEDS another one!!! :p