Chironomids?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Connor Parrish, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Connor Parrish Member

Covington, Wa
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Hey whats up guys? I’m still pretty new to the site but, I’m over at WSU, watching the snow melt and dreaming about fishing this spring. I have a Tube/pontoon and I usually stick to leech patterns but I want to try something different. I was just curious about some of your most successful or favorite Chironomid techniques. I have fished with them at Amber with my uncle (didn’t really know what we were doing but still caught fish) but I live over on the Westside and am looking for some advice on how to fish them. Also any favorite colors or patterns? Thanks for the help guys!
  2. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +197 / 2
    Lots of info if you look through the archives. But I'll try and get you started.

Go to your local shop and buy a dozen flies based on their recommendations. If you tie, google some pics until you find some you can tie. Stick with black, maroon, red for colors. Tie your flies with some white material towards the upper part of the hook to represent "gills" and use some silver or gold light tinsel to represent the body segmentation. Use small v-rib for the body and stick with sizes 12-18. Fish them near a drop-off as slow as you can with a floating line and long leader or an intermediate tip. If you move your fly too quickly then stick an indicator on and watch your "bobber" closely. When it moves, set the hook...fish on!

I'd help you even more if you were a Husky:thumb:

Good luck.
  3. Connor Parrish Member

Covington, Wa
    Thanks for the info!:thumb: im going home this weekend and tying some up!
  4. Sourdoughs -Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist

WA
    You tie, so look here: Home » Main » Patterns » Stillwater

There's a number of great chirono pattern pictures there. If you have questions on how to tie any of them, ask here.

Also read the stillwater article if you haven't do so. These patterns are suggested and would work great: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2662
  5. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +123 / 0
    I have found that a black or olive with a gold rib and crystal head in 14's or smaller work pretty good here on the east side.
    Keep your pattern simple.
  6. Connor Parrish Member

Covington, Wa
    Thanks a lot guys!
  7. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
  8. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +93 / 0
    Anyone use floss for the body? I have several colors for my steelhead flies, and have looked at that as a possibility for the body of the chironomid, maybe counter-wrapped with a rib of wire or flash.

Wayne
  9. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Now when you guys talk about the body i know there is the vinyl ribbing. But what else can you use, i see some different materials there, i read something about acetate floss?
  10. Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +259 / 0
    First Chironomid thread I've seen with no misspellings. Wow. :D
  11. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
  12. Ryan Francis HUMILITY IS NOT THINKING LESS OF ME, BUT THINKING

KALISPELL, MONTANA
    CHAD,

NICE TIES, HAVE YOU EVER PUT THE ANTRON IN FRONT OF THE BEAD
    (SLIDE BEAD OVER ANTRON)? I AM A CHIRONOMID FREAK, HARD FISHING THEM THROUGH THE ICE HERE IN MONTANA
  13. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Yes Ryan, I have. But I haven't noticed a big difference in what the fish perferred. So I go with the easier method of adding it last, if at all.

Also, I don't use antron. I use a handmixed blend of polar ice angel hair and UV ice material. I may have the names slightly off, but you get the idea. The stuff really gets their attention.

Wayne - I use floss. A few of those (brown and a green one) have floss bodies. I usually do wrap with wire, but skipped it this time. I'll dig up a pic of one with wire....
  14. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Here it is:

[IMG]

The green and drk brown ones are floss.

Red and blue are krystal flash.

Tan is just tan thread.

Black is very fine wool yarn.

Sometimes I do a light layer of 'hard as nails' over some of the flies (just a strip down the back).

Othes I do a base layer of red or other bright color, then forward wrap with touching turns of mono. The color shows through and the fly has a transparent look + ribbing. See the pinkish\red fly near the bottom right of my first pic for an example.
  15. tkww Member

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 2
    You can have a lot of fun laying down tinsel/flashabou as an under-layer as well--particularly if you're wrapping the body with a transparent or semi-transparent material, including flosses of various kinds, flat thread, tubing or d-rib, etc. For example wrap red flashabou as an under-body, and then wrap over with clear, gray or brown d-rib. If you want to get fancy you can switch colors of flashabou part way up the body (so you have just a red butt for example). Even a thin layer of thread will get transparent when wet, so sometimes I add a layer of silver tinsel or flashabou underneath to keep the thread color bright in the water.

I too have never noticed a difference where the gills are at. Anyone noticed a difference with adding or omitting a bit of white fuzz at the butt of the fly? (What would that be called....ventral fuzz?)

And I try to avoid fine-wire hooks.
  16. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +782 / 0
    Chad, Nice work!
    D
  17. markmendenhall New Member

Bellingham, WA
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Buy Phil Rowley's book on Stillwater Fishing. The bible.
  18. Connor Parrish Member

Covington, Wa
    Thanks again guys!
  19. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +238 / 1

I often use floss with extra fine wire rib for chironomids. Mostly black.
    I like floss because it makes a really thin body.

My standard chironomid.

Hook #14, 16, 18
    Body - black silk floss
    Rib - extra fine silver or gold or copper wire or red from stripped telco cable.
    thorax - dubbed brown or black with a few tail pheasant or grouse tail fibers pulled over the top
    gills - a small pinch of white antron

TC
  20. Banny New Member

Kelowna, BC
    Here is a pic of a live chiro (My friends picture) from a trouts stomach to work from, I live in the interior of BC and spend 90% of my time on lakes chironomid fishing although I am no expert. For fishing techniques read all you can from Phil Rowley and/or Brian Chan.

[IMG]

Note the segmentation, gills, and color between segments. We call that color a chromie (dark silver) up here and they are prevalent.

When tying chironomids follow a few rules, keep them as thin as possible, give them some shine (I coat all of mine in brushable super glue, they last much longer that way), and BOTH size and color are important so make sure you are prepared. Many times up here when fishing 2 rods I will fish the same pattern one size 12 and one size 14 and will take fish 3:1 depending on size. Nothing is more frustrating than not having the right color/size and the guy behind you is catching fish every single cast while you don't get a touch.

Here are a couple examples of the type of flies I use (Not my pictures), I tie them with copper, black, clear glass and white beads, mainly tie in silver, black, olive, brown.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

If you have more questions feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

Cheers, Jordan