Chirono's

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Donato, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Donato Member

Bothell WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    I don't fish chironos a lot so I have a few questions to ask.
    1. can you use a brassie in a pinch for a chirono? They look like they could work and I have lots of them.

2. Here's a dumb question. Does the peg in an indicator, that the line goes through be first up the tippit or the other way around? Bill said I had it backwards if its on the bottom. Seems like it would release better when its down under the water.

3.Is it best to start out with a 2x or 3x leader in the 7.5 to 9ft range and then add tippit as need for the correct depth when Chirono fishing?

I have to get this right before We hit the lakes this Weekend. I plan to put in at least 3-4 good hours fishing chirono's each day. I usually give up after an hour or so, but not this time.
    Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Matt Baerwalde ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +242 / 0
    I'm no Chironomid expert, but here's what I've had success with:

1) You can hang just about any nymph (or leeches or buggers too) under your indicator and it will work at some time. I've never tried brassies in a lake but it's worth a shot. They sink like the dickens so it would be a good choice as part of a two-fly indi rig where the other fly is very small or not heavily weighted.

2) I do it where the peg faces the flies. Used to do it the other way. They both work fine. I switched b/c I noticed that the peg is the heavy side of the indi so might as well have that part facing down anyway--why fight what it's trying to do?

3) Yeah, I usually use something like that. I've gotten fond of using tiny swivels in the rig so I tie the leader to the swivel and then do straight 4X or so to the top fly.

Unsolicited tip #4: If not much is happening, especially if it's calm, try stripping or twitching your indi rig. Sometimes this works really well and has been a game-changer for me since I "discovered" it.
  3. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,035 / 1
    Bob, I added my comments at the end of each of your three questions. Good luck this weekend.
  4. Donato Member

Bothell WA
    Thanks Matt and Bill. Well see what happens this weekend. I'm hoping the fish at B. Twin are stupid. The stupider the better as my girlfriend want to try fishing chirono's. Bad thing she has the attention span of a 4yr old. We'll see.
    Bill still interested in a Seeps trip or even chopaka and Blue, although it may be too cold up there for now.
  5. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +209 / 0
    Donato:

I would certainly suggest that you at least pick up a few chronies - I would go for size 14 & 16 black sno-cones and a few red San Juan worms. As other have said, you can fish just about anything under a bobber but if they are onto chronies, the action can be VERY good. I use the quick release indicators and they work pretty well.

As you know, there is a shop in your area.
  6. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Bob, You need to get in a good chronie bite and Lindsay will understand it better. The slow bite periods kinda bore most people. Once a person experiences a hot bite they are able to key into the nuances. At least in my OC viewpoint.
  7. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    How long do you usually wait before moving or adjusting depth or changing flies?
  8. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA

A sonar is good to see what depth the fish are at.
  9. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +410 / 17
    I say 20 mins if you are fishing the right depth. I try to stay 2ft off bottom and twitch the indicator every 10 seconds or so. If there are fish there you should get a hit. If nothing change patterns or spots.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
  10. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +209 / 0
    Zen - I really don't trust the sonar at 10-12' to mark fish. For deeper water, yes, but I'm not a long leader chronie guy. We have had some very good action in 3-4' of water with the bug down 6" to 2'.

Patrick - Kind of depends on what I am seeing on the surface. I'd generally wait 20-30 minutes and will work an area 360 degrees around where I am fishing.
  11. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    The sonar marks what's underneath it. At 1 foot at 3 feet, at 10 feet.
  12. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,264 / 1
    Indicator either way. I've done both without issues. if you use the with the pin towards your fly, consider adding a rubber bobber stop before tying on your tippet.
    If you get snapped off the stop will prevent you from losing your indicator pin. Your pin and indicator will remain on your leader.

Rather then a tapered leader, I just run straight 8 lb test fluorocarbon. It works great for holding quick release indicators and doesn't get kinked out when you pin your indicator.
    Way cheaper then buying tapered leaders. you can get 75 yd spools of Seaguar for around $8.00.

Here is how I would set it up if I was going to fish 12 ft deep. 8' of 8 lb fluoro connected to my fly line via a perfection loop. Add 2' of 6 lb via a double surgeons knot then tie on the first fly. Add another 1' for the dropper. That puts your bottom fly a foot off the bottom at 11'.

Hope this helps.
    SF
  13. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +410 / 17
    I've got a cheap fishinbuddy that marks fish like a champ! 90% of the time trout sit on the bottom with a few occasionally cruising.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
  14. Donato Member

Bothell WA
    Scott,
    I have a decent collection of Chirono's and Bill gave me some more when we last met. I'm not a newbe to them, its just that I don't fish them enough and long enough to get good and confident about fishing them. Hope to change that this weekend if the Wind Bitch doesn't follow us up there. One good thing, I'll be fishing lakes that are not known for having big fish in them. This will keep me focused fishing chirono's and not kicking around the whole lake fishing leaches in the deep. May even rent a boat at B.Twin which will keep me from roaming.
    Wish us luck as we'll need more than a little. :)
  15. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +648 / 2
    The peg =
    For me I use the peg on top. I drill the pegs out so I can use hand tied fluoro leaders at 12'-12# than add 3 to 4 ft. of 10# seaguar to the first fly than 3 to 4 ft. of 8# seaguar to the bottom fly. usually I have a 18' leader depending on what lake I'm fishing or learning. the heavy tapered leader helps turn everything over. I will go to 8 and 6# but that isn't needed very often on the east side in catch and keep lakes. The hand tied fluoro tapered leaders I get from an Oregon fisherman over E-bay for $11.50 plus $1.50 shipping for 5 leaders almost any size you want.
    Set of five Fluorocarbon Fly Fishing Leaders | eBay
    Can't beat the price!

I also have a leader straightener so everything is straight! I also use a small split shot above my flies where I tied in the 10# so everything is a even distance for taper. when fishing 10 feet or deeper. I have the peg on top because I use just enough weight that the large indi's peg will turn straight to the sky when everything sinks straight, no turn of leader to a sideways indi! if the line tangles on the cast under the indi it will not stand straight up and I know that I am not fishing. also if one of the flies lands on a piece of weed or grass or is on bottom it will not turn up! this really helps me.

I usually am fishing from 8 ft. to 16 ft. on shoulders and drops to deep water targeting big fish. I agree that moving in 20 to 30 minutes is a must. but early in the year (spring) hatches over east don't even start til 9.00 in the morning and the best fishing is between 9 and 4 so you won't see me on the water until around 8 in the morn unless I'm speed trolling, I guess what I'm saying is don't leave an area before the hatches start!

shoulders to deep water
    underwater creek channels
    suspended fish in deep water

Big flats are tough to fish with indi's unless fish have to swim around or along something. they are better fished with sinking lines IMO.
    Bartfly, Irafly and fly-by like this.
  16. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +648 / 2
    Thank you Ron, that's quite a compliment!

So many gear and fly fishing friends have been telling me that lately. I thought about a gear and fly fishing combo - boy would that create a controversy! Although there would be no info on gear fishing for trout. But I'm still just a knuckle dragging - toothless - mouth breather. HA - I could call it =

THE KNUCKLE DRAGGING-TOOTHLESS-MOUTH BREATHERS GUIDE TO FISHING!
  17. Rod Wittner Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +72 / 1
    I am just learning the chronie thing, this information is terrific! Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge. Awesome. Now if the wind could quit blowing (sucking?) I could put it to use.
  18. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    What Mark said (especially about tying an all fluoro leader.) I do the same thing when fishing rivers under an indicator. Fluoro sinks a lot quicker than mono, so your flies get down into the zone faster! Rick
  19. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Thanks Scott.
  20. Donato Member

Bothell WA
    Thanks guys, lots of good info here. Hoping to fish in 12ft or less so it will be easier for my girlfriend to cast her chirono set up out there.
    Todd, do you think those fish in B. Twin will be in the 18in range this year. Caught lots of 14-16 last spring. Hope to fish Davis on Fri for the chirono testing.