Chitwood Lake (remote granite falls lake), Not sure what to use

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Drysuperfly, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Drysuperfly

Drysuperfly Member

Friday I am planning on hauling my toon on the 2 mile gravel road to chitwood lake, I have read that fishing can be pretty good with the possibility of some lunker cutts. I have mastered bait and standard tackle for trout but have limited fly knowledge especially on lakes. I was planning on bringing 3 poles (floating, sinking, and give up and throw bait pole) I was going to load up on woolly buggers and my random assortment of dry’s to see if I could get anything. looking at what limited pictures I can find it seems to have marshy shores with logs all around the shore line.

Any pointers would be great. If you wanted to meet up and try the lake as well I am always open to a fishing buddy.

2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I'd check and see which side of the mountain that the lake and trail are on. It's April 8th and unless a lot of west side snow has melted you stand a good chance of finding snow in the shady spots around your lake. Elevation of the lake is 746'. South sides clear out first.

3. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I've fished similar lakes in the area and I've found that the usual fair works fine. I've also done quite well using chironomids. Leeches tend to work well in lakes like that because the leeches do well in lakes with timber.

4. fastnjerky

fastnjerky New Member

DSF,
    I fished Chitwood not too long ago and can give you my impressions: I did best with a slow sink line casting a wooley bugger. Tried chironomids with a strike indicator and got a little interest but found casting to the limbs and fallen trees on the west side produced the most and biggest cutthroats with a leech imitation. The entire lake is about 3-5 foot deep. The fish were mostly 8-12" with a couple of 15-16". Beautifully marked.
    Have fun and watch out for the logging trucks.

5. Drysuperfly

Drysuperfly Member

Thanks FastnJerky, we are going sunday instead of today (hopefully less logging) did you take a pontoon up with you? if so how long did the walk talk. Thanks for the heads up on the on the leech pattern, hopefully i can follow this up with some pictures of the lake.

Thanks

6. fastnjerky

fastnjerky New Member

I folded my super fatcat into a backpack with the rest of the gear and then mountain biked in. It was a little over 2 miles about 1/3 on old blacktop and the rest on good gravel road. Pretty much flat although you really notice and grade change on two wheels. The first quarter mile is the steepest part. How do you transport a pontoon?

7. Drysuperfly

Drysuperfly Member

My pontoon has a single wheel, and weighs 75lbs w/o gear, So I will be wheel barrowing it in i figure it will take about 1.5 hours each way walking

8. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:

ouch

constructeur likes this.
  9. Drysuperfly

Drysuperfly Member

very bummed right now, went to hook up wheel assembly, the fork that came with the pontoon is bent, looks like a have to wiat a couple weeks to make the trek.