Chopaka report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Gary B, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Gary B

Gary B New Member

I just got back and the fishing was good, the weather started out cloudy on Thursday and got better every day by Sunday it was about 85 degrees, There were no hatches that I could tell, except on sunday morning there was a small mayfly hatch grey in color about a size 14, but no fish were rizing to it. You could get them to come up for a mayfly if you had patience. The flys I used most were Mayflys, Orange shrimp and several colors of chrinomids including black red and purple, The weather at night was a little chilly but not bad. we averaged about 7-10 fish per day per angler all in the range of 14-19 inches, we did get 2 small mouths, that were 11&14 inches, we got them on chirnomids, I thought that was odd. I guess that population is getting bigger, we got them in differeny parts of the lake and other people I talked to have caught them all over the lake. Good luck to those of you going over.

Gary

2. MacRowdy

MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Media:
    Home Page:
    Gary,

Thank you for the report. Pretty cool to hear about the small mouth.

MacRowdy :THUMBSUP

3. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    Thanks Gary, glad to hear you had a good time. I think I'm going over thursday instead on tomorrow. work thing. Anyway, We'll have to hook up when I get back and go to the lake we've been talk'n about. Oh ya, what is the lake water level and how was the road it. and was is crowded up there? talk to ya soon. :THUMBSUP YT

4. Gary B

Gary B New Member

Hi the road was better than normal, not the wash board stuff. There were not many people there at all, only one person in the back at the tree of course. The water level was down at about 5 ft. but not too bad, don't let the water level at specticle lake fool you, it is as low as I have ever seen it, There was no wind to speak of the whole time we were there. Gary

5. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    No MacRowdy, Small mouth bad, very bad. We must destroy all small mouth who Inhabit Chopaka. It is our mission. Listen to the master, I am all knowing. :pROFESSOR YT

6. MacRowdy

Media:
    Home Page:
    So Gary,

Do you recommend us fishing with floating or sinking line. I would ask the zen master but he is too busy telling me: "no smallmouth, bad smallmouth" to give me any pertinent information regarding our trip. And so if I understand you correctly you mean the lake was 5 ft. deep?

Anyway, about the smallmouths. were you catching them along the bank or out in the middle? Just curious. Hey Whitey, I am mocking you right now: "Small Mouth Bad!":TSKTSK isn't it past your bedtime?

~MacRowdy [/font]

7. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    Listen Beeeotch, We will not fish for small mouth. ever! I will slap the heck out of you if you even try. Do not test me. :MAD I'll slap you upside your head with a fish paddle, punk. YT

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

Kids, Kids. Please keep it clean or at least try to. :TONGUE :TONGUE

Jim HA HA HA :DUNNO :TSKTSK

9. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    Sorry jim. just trying to keep MacRowdy in line. He's sort of a nut. ya know, a few cans short of a six pack. total wack job. hehehehe! :LOVEIT YT

10. MacRowdy

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sorry Jim, Sorry Whitey,
    :BLUSH
    Whitey, let's mend our ways and be pals again. We'll never fight about small mouth again.
    MacRowdy :AA

11. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    If I ever hear that kind of small mouth talk out of you, I might have to put you down. see you in the morning, if you bring up the small mouth, this might be your last trip to the stilly. :EEK YT

12. Gary B

Gary B New Member

The lake is much deeper than 5ft, it is 5 ft lower than normal, the small mouth were caught around shore, in different areas. I fished floating line most of the time but I also used a cortland intermediate camo and a uniform sink 2 line both don't sink very much, I just didn't try anything deeper.

Gary

13. MacRowdy

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sounds good. Thanks Gary.

I knew I must have been confused.

MacRowdy :THUMBSUP