Chopaka report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by dbk, May 26, 2012.

1. dbk

dbk Active Member

Fished Chopaka yesterday from 9-1:30pm. The callibeatis hatch never materialized in the south end shallows where I was fishing, but the chironomids were thick and the fish were on them. It seemed that most guys fishing under indicators were doing well. Some surface activity but the majority of fish seemed to be looking for chiros near the bottom, though during "lulls" on the chiros going to a bloodworm kept the action going. The bite stayed pretty consistent throughout the morning and early afternoon. There was a good hatch of 14-16 bright lime green chiros the fish were eating, along with some large black mids (10-12) that would show up in throat samples from time to time. Not many of them, but those that were there were being eaten as a large black chiro pattern worked well, but so did a number of patterns, which did not seem to be that important. The fish were feeding on midges and well spread out throughout the entire south end. All that really mattered was finding the right general depth, which in this case was within the bottom 18 inches of the water column, and an area where the fish were relatively concentrated. Relative to presentation, making a cast to an area and then letting it sit for an extended period of time waiting for a strike was less successful than making repeated casts to cover more water. Takes would typically come within the first 30 seconds to a minute after making the cast. It seemed like within the larger area or circle of concentration I was fishing the fish would move in and out of "windows" where they were feeding in that general area. I'd pick up 2-3 fish in one of those windows almost immediately then it would stop..... leaving the fly sit there hoping it would pick up did not pay off. Picking it up and casting to a new window and the bite would often be on again... Eventually, I would come back to a "dead window" and there they were. Changing location was much more important than changing patterns, although at certain times during the day, especially as the hatch progressed, it was helpful and even maybe necessary at times to do so..

Lots of guys camping there, but never felt too crowded on the water.

2. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I found this same thing to be true last year at Lone later in the season, so much so that after a three fish in an area I would just pull up anchor and move regardless.

I did read your PM, I was out of town and I'm drafting a response although I'm a much better talker than I am a writer, I'll send you my number.